How do monks meditate on pain

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

How do monks meditate on pain

Postby air9 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:38 pm

I saw in the news a buddhist monk that burned himself because he was protesting and just sat there burning until he was dead. He did not move or scream. Then a different guy I saw online was only set aflame a tiny bit with only 15% of his body and was running around screaming.

So how do the monks do this? Anything you can think of please such as how to think like a monk and how to meditate or have certain thoughts on pain? Anything would be of great help as I have cancer and can't wait to practice your advice.

Here is an example of what I'm looking for
You can control your reaction to anything as long as you stay with what you're feeling and accept everything as it comes. The monk did it by leaning into burning
live.

Thank You very much.
air9

Re: How do monks meditate on pain

Postby Rob X » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:12 pm

air9 wrote:I saw in the news a buddhist monk that burned himself because he was protesting and just sat there burning until he was dead. He did not move or scream. Then a different guy I saw online was only set aflame a tiny bit with only 15% of his body and was running around screaming.

So how do the monks do this? Anything you can think of please such as how to think like a monk and how to meditate or have certain thoughts on pain? Anything would be of great help as I have cancer and can't wait to practice your advice.

Here is an example of what I'm looking for
You can control your reaction to anything as long as you stay with what you're feeling and accept everything as it comes. The monk did it by leaning into burning
live.

Thank You very much.

Hi air9

I’m really sorry to hear about your condition.

There are a few theories going around as to how Thich Quang Duc (I presume this is who you are referring to) was able to tolerate such conditions. The most common suggest a combination of many years of zen training coupled with the fact that with this sort of combustion, intense pain is relatively brief (see second link.) Some suspect that he was heavily drugged (possibly morphine) before the event.

https://www.quora.com/How-was-Thich-Qua ... their-body

https://www.quora.com/Can-science-expla ... o-steadily

I’ve been meditating for eighteen years and have had some success when dealing with fairly low level pain. I’m not going to give you any false hope by suggesting that there is some sort of quick fix but there is plenty of evidence to suggest that mindfulness meditation can be helpful to some degree - even in the short term. The key is to come out of self-reflective thought and narrative and abide with what is moment by moment.

Have a search around. Google ‘meditation pain relief’. Here’s a typical result:

http://www.innerhealthstudio.com/medita ... elief.html

I hope things improve for you.

Rob
Rob X

Postby Rolofixs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:18 am

It would be nice if we could talk about these issues.
Rolofixs

Postby Rolofixs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:26 am

It would be nice if we could bring these great messages to the public.
Rolofixs

Return to General Discussion