I wander, if globally the world is getting safer, or not?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Ervin

I wander, if globally the world is getting safer, or not?

Post by Ervin » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:29 am

I am wandering if the world is getting safer, more dangerous, or is it the same? Some Christian groups say it's getting worse and that we live in the end days.

Some other people say that's not true, they say that it's getting better and that it's the power of media and information technology that is reporting constantly that it makes it look more dangerous.

Where to look for these statistics, whom to trust?

Thanks

DavidB

Re: I wander, if globally the world is getting safer, or not

Post by DavidB » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:35 am

The world as a whole is statistically getting safer, there has never been less war, although regionally, it might be getting worse.

The western world is getting marginally less safe as we immigrate hostile peoples from 3rd world nations, while at the same time draconian collectivist attitudes and ideology are becoming more popular, undermining classically liberal and libertarian ideals.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

jukai

Post by jukai » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:32 pm

DavidB wrote:The western world is getting marginally less safe as we immigrate hostile peoples from 3rd world nations.
Wow, you seem to be so knowledgeable about immigrants that I am beginning to feel quite stupid.

Now then, please enlighten me. Which of the following groups of immigrants are the "hostile" ones ?

- The ones that come to the West, pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in international student tuition, then bust their asses off studying to keep their grades up (for fear that low grades will result in deportation) while most of their Western counterparts, who pay 1/3rd the tuition, are busy smoking pot and crack cocaine, partying all day and night long, and getting teenage girls pregnant.

- The ones that work long and hard overtime hours, keeping the web servers of the world up at all hours, without complaining about "discrimination" and "workplace harassment" or "insufficient wages", so that their Western counterparts can go home to their families.

- The ones that clean the toilets for $5 an hour, so that people like you don't have to. So you can go in and take a shit today and not worry about coming back to the same stall the next day to take another shit.

- The ones that want nothing more than to embrace Western culture and be accepted as law-abiding citizens.

Exactly which of these folks are "hostile" ? Please educate me.

--------------------

To respond to the original question asked in this thread, the world is probably getting more dangerous because of the kind of ignorance demonstrated by the post I responded to. "A little knowledge (or none) is dangerous."
Last edited by jukai on Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:27 am

This topic is in serious danger of becoming a political fight. We strive to avoid politics here as it never ends well. We strive for inclusion and clarity. If it can't be discussed in a manor that brings us more together rather than push us apart, it will be shut down. Everyone's cooperation is appreciated.

WW

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:45 pm

I find Stephen Pinker’s perspective interesting:

https://www.ted.com/talks/steven_pinker ... f_violence
Be present, be pleasant.