Why political and religious conversations bring conflict

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Nyseto

Why political and religious conversations bring conflict

Post by Nyseto » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:11 pm

I notice this at my job. Co workers will randomly start talking about politics or religion and then before you know it, everyone is an expert. Those two topics are very identity driven. I am conservative, I am liberal, I believe in god, I believe in myself, I worship my foot, etc. etc. The moment you start talking, you’re trapped. And the worst part about it is when everything is said and done, they talk behind eachother’s backs so if you said anything, you better believe they’ll talk behind your back-“Oh such and such hasn’t accepted the lord, no wonder he hates himself.” Never, never talk about politics or religion with anyone, not even the ones closest to you because sooner or later, both of you won’t feel so close anymore. Opinions are like assholes, everybody’s got one.
"There is no such thing as enlightenment. The appreciation of this fact is itself enlightenment." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Voyant

Re: Why political and religious conversations bring conflict

Post by Voyant » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:20 pm

Good luck with your job. Relationship with coworkers are hard when you try to bring stillness in the mix.
Have you seen Rogan's podcast about Scientology ? https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... cientology
Leah Remini and Ron Miscavidge escpecially. Awesome stuff. How people are forced into conformity.
I beleive that the mecanism is the same.
What you can do at your own level is not get angry about it. See the anger and the frustration in yourself. If you bring it up, that means it bothers you. Why ? You don't need to change anyone.

Crosier

Re: Why political and religious conversations bring conflict

Post by Crosier » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:09 pm

People are too invested in those subjects. I also feel like it's almost futile to debate some subjects with some people.