Maybe it's not ego and just a misdiagnosis

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
tchest77

Maybe it's not ego and just a misdiagnosis

Post by tchest77 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:56 pm

I know the ego comes into play in order to control, but could this be purely based on hormones/neurotransmitters/nutrients (I’ll call these body chemicals for short)? I understand that both could occur in conjunction, however, is it possible for ego to not be present under the control of body chemicals, and your reactions be based purely off of those signals?

Consider this: having high levels of ghrelin can lead one to be so hungry that they binge eat; Adrenal glands release adrenaline, which could cause an innate reaction to stress; Having a dopamine or serotonin disorder could cause depression; Increased testosterone could cause an increased sex drive; Having nutrients entering the blood stream could cause increased mental focus.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of chemical interactions. All of these body chemicals cause one to react. These chemicals can cause a lack patience, a desire to fulfill, and may demand a reaction. One being rude to another, may not be ego at all, it could just be chemicals at that moment or maybe they are just fatigued.

I understand being present no matter what will improves ones ability to be aware of how they feel, but what if we’re misdiagnosing ego when it could be a simple change in nutrition or hormones?

Ego being complicated enough, now add the complexity of how the human body works. That person who is suffering will always struggle thinking the more they are present the more self awareness they will have, but a simple chemical diagnosis could improve the entire situation. This does go both ways, chemicals being in balance, then maybe ego is in control. How is one to know what the real cause of their issues are, considering there are so many complex chemicals in the human body?

Webwanderer

Re: Maybe it's not ego and just a misdiagnosis

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:53 pm

Here's my take on it. Ego is an identity belief system. Not so much simply a conscious belief system, but primarily a subconscious one. That said, energy follows thought and is creative by nature. So as you hold thoughts and focus attention (again mostly subconsciously), that thought focused life energy, causes reactions in chemical components within the brain and body, which reflects those beliefs.

As far as nutrition goes, the nutrition that matters most is the consciousness nutrition quality of the energy flowing into and through your life. Nothing feeds experience quite like the thoughts we hold. "I think, therefore I am". A little different take on the original meaning maybe, but accurate nun the less.

WW

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:33 am

I know the ego comes into play in order to control, but could this be purely based on hormones/neurotransmitters/nutrients (I’ll call these body chemicals for short)? I understand that both could occur in conjunction, however, is it possible for ego to not be present under the control of body chemicals, and your reactions be based purely off of those signals?
Interesting thread tchest - Cause and effect always has multiple factors. The level of awareness of cause and effect determines if you are manifesting your experience consciously or not.

Biological impacts can have an impact on behaviour - but once one is aware of, and accepts response ability for the behaviour, only then can cause and effect be investigated and managed.

e.g. having high levels of sugar in your bloodstream can create unreasonableness (think rum drunk), low levels of sugar can create a sluggish brain. Having realised these impact though, one would seek to manage blood sugar levels, rather than have it manage your moods. So in physical senses yes, internal and external 'chemical' and neurological impacts can contribute to unhealthy behaviours.
How is one to know what the real cause of their issues are, considering there are so many complex chemicals in the human body?
I think for this part if cause and effects are physical or mental they can be investigated and managed in the physical.

If cause and effects are emotional responses to the physical or mental they can be investigated and managed by better understanding our emotional reaction and attachments.

I'm not sure what the 'diagnosing ego' is about though. Ego is not separate to us.

The difference is, ego is concerned about how something is, or how something will turn out. Consciousness sits with/in what is. When you can be with/in what is and be whole then the integrity of your being will be actively whole. This is in alignment with the greater consciousness, without (false thought) of separation or judging or partaking of the emotional reactions of good/bad - just is.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com

tchest77

Post by tchest77 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:27 pm

Thank Smiiley, good points!

Just wondering, if it is in fact a chemical issue that is out of balance, even if one is to be in awareness when this is impacting their thoughts, I could easily see that person having a difficult uncorrected life through this, considering if this pain subsides, and comes and goes as it does, then this person is under the impression that they are flawed by ego as opposed to a physical/chemical condition.

Recognizing at the times the body/mind is out of balance chemically, and one could sit with this and observe/feel their own suffering, without doing anything about but observing it until it subsides, and thinking this is the ego. Meanwhile they are wrong if it is not in fact ego, seems to be a detriment towards that persons health, furthering their own confusion of what is causing or creating their pain, and never really getting to the solution while just managing or observing what is occurring. Therefore, possibly taking this route could make them more ill, when in fact all they may need is a correction with their serotonin instead of forcing themselves to sit with their unbalanced chemical state.

I have great respect and appreciate for the power of now. I truly think it is the way to go, be here, be present, observe your thoughts instead of following them, enjoy life by finding out more about yourself by being more selfless; I am thankful I can even understand this stuff (I think I have an understanding but looking to just learn more while being open to being wrong), but it is changing me for the better.

In reference to whether one is in ego or actually in a real chemical imbalance, I'm on this path to not contradict or defend, or try to be right, ect (hello ego..not this time), I'm just concerned perhaps if there is a chemical imbalance, this could further escalate that person to continuously misinterpret what actually may or may not be, thereby affecting their ability to be present, and put attention on the wrong path to self awareness.

Thoughts are appreciated!