Define Morality?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
steveminjares

Define Morality?

Post by steveminjares » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:03 am

"Defining Morality in a Reality with no Foundation"

It seems to me that morality's greatest enemy is the contradiction of thought. Our moral code becoming inferior when faced with a circumstantial paradox. To sustain our defined set of morals, we must perceive our reality around us by having a flexible state of mind. Be capable to think in multiple dimensions and acknowledge a paradox by its very nature, is to challenge "status quo". The status quo is what we believe to be morally righteousness as a "static state", never changing.

That is the illusion, the false belief that the rules of morality will never change.

The best example I can provide to identify moral code is the "Lolita Paradox" A man who falls in love with a girl who is underage and defining it morally wrong. The challenge is, did he recognize the various dimensions or variables that define this moral code. Like Time, Place, Age, Intension, Behavior and his Position (is it the Love of a Parent, Sibling, Friend or Lover the state that is being define) there are other various dimension that need to be recognize as well to be able to define the moral code correctly. Otherwise, your morality you established in your conscious mind becomes inferior or obsolete.

When one dimension or variable is not acknowledged or defined, we make assumptions to fill in the gaps to justify that moral code we created for ourselves. To provide relief from the paradoxical thought that burdens the mind. So, to truly be righteous you must become open minded enough to except that all dimensions and variables are in a superposition state.

To explain this other dimension of thought, “superposition” meaning they are in a state of both true and false at the same time. Until that state is witness, it cannot be confirmed nor denied. Leading to another paradox, once you stop witnessing a current state will it changed or remained constant?

You also must be open minded enough to introduce other dimensions or variables not considered at the time of conceptual thought and change your conclusion based on these new revelations.

This is an attempt to realize that what is morally righteous in one instance in time and place; will not be morally righteous in another instance in time and place. All based on these findings.

This is the reasoning of why we believe in God, a Supreme being and we as believers say have faith. The mental discipline that is required to achieve this understanding is impossible by mortal minds and cannot be achieve indefinitely. It is possible to achieve enlightenment through practices of mental discipline, but you must realize it is only sustainable for a moment or period-of-time. Hence, the word "Epiphany", only God can sustain that power and state of mind forever.

And those who try to justify God’s existence based on the pain and suffering of our current reality is a form of a loaded question. Through my perspective, answering such a question if an answer exists is just catering to the individual's ego desiring to be superior in a reality that cannot be control by human beings. So is simply easier to disavow God than live with the burden of a paradoxical thought and realizing you never had control.
Which bring me to another paradox, if God is such a perfect being, who exist without flaws from ego? Why would he cater to such arrogant questioning?

That is why in Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make you paths straight."

klasstaffan

Re: Define Morality?

Post by klasstaffan » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:31 pm

Morality is the quality attributable to human action by reason of its conformity or lack of conformity to standards or rules according to which it should be regulated. This supposes on the one hand that human actions are voluntary and responsible, and on the other, that there are standards and rules by which human conduct should be measured, a position not admitted by all contemporary philosophers.

CJ-1

Post by CJ-1 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:07 pm

Morality is a set of values we have created that are constantly changing. So its man-made. Needless to say most of it is ambiguous and support our current social power paradigms.

nebularDust

Post by nebularDust » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:25 pm

CJ-1 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:07 pm
Morality is a set of values we have created that are constantly changing. So its man-made. Needless to say most of it is ambiguous and support our current social power paradigms.
This exactly ^ ! Well said. Morality is, at best, an illusion we have created in order to label / judge people as being "better". It is a joke, if you ask me.

Consider this: whether you kill a hundred people or save a hundred people, you'll end up in the same place ... a wooden box 3 feet under. Or scattered in the ocean. No special benefits conferred, in either case.

You can go about your life thinking you're a "good person" and "virtuous" ... you are just living a lie, and probably depriving yourself of the best that life has to offer, and constantly under the illusion that you will be rewarded in some way for your behavior. Then you find out that the whole thing is a mind-created illusion and you might as well have not given a damn about it all along.

I'm not suggesting you go to the other extreme and start robbing and murdering ... I'm saying ... question the reality or absoluteness of what you think of as being "moral".

CJ-1

Post by CJ-1 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:08 pm

Thank you @nebulardust

I just want it to be clear i am not saying there is no morality at all. But instead of following a set of rules created by power structures, to follow our own hearts. Our heart is a good indicator and gives immediate feedback if we have done something we shouldn't have.

I like this :
I'm saying ... question the reality or absoluteness of what you think of as being "moral".

CJ-1

Post by CJ-1 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:01 pm

Moderators,
i was trying to edit my previous response and now it's pending moderation, Are all posts going to be moderated like this?

Moderator: Only the first five. It helps us keep attackers and advertisers off the forum.

nebularDust

Post by nebularDust » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:56 am

CJ-1 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:01 pm
Moderators,
i was trying to edit my previous response and now it's pending moderation, Are all posts going to be moderated like this?
Only the first 5 so that they know you're legit and not a troll or bot.

Such validation has become a painful reality in modern times, and some sites take it to an extreme, with multiple pages of "tests" that you must answer correctly before you can proceed. This site's approach is comparatively reasonable, I think.