It's All In The Brain, Even Source

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Sighclone

It's All In The Brain, Even Source

Post by Sighclone » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:25 pm

This will be a short intro to a line of thinking I started in the "intention" thread.

Gary Weber and some Yalies have discovered a new Default Mode Network functioning in the brain. (Google Judson Brewer at Yale.) It involves the anterior cingulate cortex, and is triggered by meditation and "non-self-referential" consciousness. No real surprise, since the TM folks and the Institute for Noetic Sciences have been recording different brain functions of meditators for years.

But what if this is VERY significant? What if the universe has an optimal mode of operation for all of its manifested forms, including the very highly evolved human organism? Perhaps an enlightened person has triggered, then firmly established this optimal resonance in his/her brain. And moreover, once established, that brain is sensitive to other nearly optimal structures in the universe (like Vancouver BC, where Eckhart felt compelled to go to write PON, and Arunachala, the mountain to which Ramana was drawn,) What if our best composers could hear the "optimal next phrase" in writing such transcendant pieces as "the Planets" (Holst) , of "Clair de Lune" (Debussey) and Moonlight Sonata (Beethoven)?

What if the experience of the mystics is actually governed by their brain-state, allowed for them by their genetics and spiritual practices which encouraged optimization? What if the inability to express this "felt oneness with Being" in words is actually a recognition of the fact that Unity Consciousness is a momentary, or permament optinal functioning (or fully resonant functioning) of the brain which is so unified across all brain structures that words utterly fail to describe it.

What if those people who sat with Ramana were right -- his entrainment of their minds by his simple presence was a form of transferrence of his optimal brain resonance and function with theirs?

More later...

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

ZenDrumming

Re: It's All In The Brain, Even Source

Post by ZenDrumming » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:38 pm

Interesting stuff. Reminds me of a book I read recently by David Perlmutter (neurologist) and Alberto Villoldo (psychologist/anthropologist) called Power Up Your Brain: The Neuroscience of Enlightenment. In the end, they recommend a routine of dietary supplements in combination with exercise, meditation, fasting, etc in order to help your brain connect the neural pathways that facilitate connection with Being.

Not trying to thread hijack, but I would be curious to see if there are connections between the two lines of study.

unbornawakened

Post by unbornawakened » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:16 am

There was a documentary by the BBC about a well-documented case of an NDE where brain function had ceased yet the NDE-r reported seeing things that were confirmed to be correct ... point being that something functions even without the brain.

SandyJoy

Post by SandyJoy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:07 am

Well, for me, I have no doubt that the Light of Awareness is NOT in the brain and really has very little do with the brain at all---One grows by leaps and bounds when we make this liberating discovery--- But, I'll let that suffice for now.

I read this fascinating interview just a few days ago, I think I should share it here, seems it might be perfect for this thread.

http://www.skeptiko.com/154-neurosurgeo ... xperience/

Here is short excerpt from the interview with Dr. Eben Alexander:

"In my view, what I think is going to happen is that science in the much broader sense of the word and spirituality which will be mainly an acknowledgement of the profound nature of our consciousness will grow closer and closer together. We will all move forward into a far more enlightened world. One thing that we will have to let go of is this kind of addiction to simplistic, primitive reductive materialism because there’s really no way that I can see a reductive materialist model coming remotely in the right ballpark to explain what we really know about consciousness now.

Coming from a neurosurgeon who, before my coma, thought I was quite certain how the brain and the mind interacted and it was clear to me that there were many things I could do or see done on my patients and it would eliminate consciousness. It was very clear in that realm that the brain gives you consciousness and everything else and when the brain dies there goes consciousness, soul, mind—it’s all gone. And it was clear.

Now, having been through my coma, I can tell you that’s exactly wrong and that in fact the mind and consciousness are independent of the brain. It’s very hard to explain that, certainly if you’re limiting yourself to that reductive materialist view."

Much Love, Sandy Joy
You are not finished, until you play in that meadow and live there. You can, you know. But only you can take yourself there.

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:33 am

In electrical terms the human body (or any plant or animal) is a conductor of energy, being made up especially with high levels of fluid makes us even more conductive - the neural pathways of the brain are the circuits through which energy flows, absolutely lighting up along the paths of least resistance.

Just as with electrical circuits, resistance can be applied, circuits can be broken through creating either openings (breaks) in the circuit, or by applying insulators at connectors.

Beliefs of separation may be one such 'insulator' within a brain's circuitry.

Thoughts are their own energy, also running along circuits until they either hit a break in the current flow, or an insulator, otherwise they maintain their energy levels in a continuous cycle of flow.

Hence, as with energy it comes not from us, but through us - dependent upon our ability and willingness to let it flow.

(imho)
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com

arel

Post by arel » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:39 pm

Hi Andy. You are giving an interesting take on the whole thing, but it's only a perspective from how I see things (I guess not even a "complete one" but mostly theoretical?). Would I at all introduce a doubt by speculating that animals, which we can safely assume are concious beings, might see the world we see differently? Bats, dolphins, some strange insects, probably see it totally different (even dogs or cats that can relate to what we see apparently). I doubt they could come up with "brain waves" with how they see things. We even evolved to talk about this knowledge that apparently pervades and gives rise to our perseptions of the world and of animal's world too. But that's cool, if you or anyone else wants to argue for or against brain wave theory on this, then whatever, something to talk about...the talking happens in and assume conciousness.. born of brain or not.. I don't know.. but I doubt it...
What I say is only my viewpoint.

nightowl

Post by nightowl » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:45 pm

From the 'Intention' thread:
Sighclone wrote:I’m suggesting that the process of awakening, as suggested and demonstrated by Candice O’Denver and many others, can be accelerated by “right practice.” (And I honor others who disagree, but I believe they are mistaken.)

I’m also suggesting that the unity experience, and the abiding awakened life may have a specific brain-function correlative. And that none of it requires philosophy or religion or belief, rather, just practice.
Skype, Twitter, Forums, Instantaneous access to books, teachers, knowledge!!! I think this all points to the possibility of more and more people returning to what I see as our Natural State.

Not spiritual. Not religious. Not a belief. Just life as it is meant to be lived.

unbornawakened

Post by unbornawakened » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:11 am

Given the lack of reliable evidence, there is a possibility that God exists :lol:

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:23 am

Of course we do... :lol: :lol:
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:18 am

Why does saying that 'Source' is in the brain sound to me like saying that the ocean is in the rubber ducky?
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

EternalPrize

Post by EternalPrize » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:19 am

ZenDrumming wrote:Interesting stuff. Reminds me of a book I read recently by David Perlmutter (neurologist) and Alberto Villoldo (psychologist/anthropologist) called Power Up Your Brain: The Neuroscience of Enlightenment. In the end, they recommend a routine of dietary supplements in combination with exercise, meditation, fasting, etc in order to help your brain connect the neural pathways that facilitate connection with Being.

Not trying to thread hijack, but I would be curious to see if there are connections between the two lines of study.

Just bought the book on my Kindle and will probably power-read it. Thanks for the rec.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:37 am

Ok - back to the drawing board for me. Of course, the NDE stuff is apparently valid...how could I forget my friend Nanci Danison, and thanks for the link to Dr. Eben Alexander!!

But, at the drawing board, we will remove Source from the brain, but not the neurological capacity to link to "higher levels," with optimal brain functioning. I'm ordering/reading several of the texts mentioned in Dr. Alexander's remarkable journey/story. My point is why is it necessary to have a "near-death-experience" to appreciate the wonders of the astral plane and higher planes? What did Ramana experience? Perhaps pure sattvik foods, and/or other supplements could nourish wider experiences after the primary "enlightened" condition were reached? Hundreds of books have been written about astral travel, teleportation, non-local awareness, a "conscious" universe, etc. But we know so little about the direct relationship of those events with brain function.

I'm trying to demystify the experience of awakening by suggesting that there are "materialistic imperatives" which need not be violated. My effort in this thought experiment is more to expand our understanding of the brain than to reduce the majesty of the material and non-material universe.

More later...thanks all!!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

unbornawakened

Post by unbornawakened » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:09 am

Thanks Sighclone for being brave enough to question traditional interpretations on this forum.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:01 am

I hope this forum remains open to all investigations. My mind wanders all over hell, but there are very few "unwanted thoughts" (Ramana Maharshi.) I'm the last person in the world to declare invincibility. We have standard nondual responses, yes, and we have all made them...and they remain as tests, of a sort.

So when I or anyone tosses out a curveball...let's not dismiss it out of hand. The careful and friendly reminders in this thread are just the tonic for someone eager for a simple "Theory of Everything," even if that's unlikely to appear.

I'm writing a sci-fi novel about aliens who are one million years advanced over humans...some of my wilder thoughts come from imagining what that consciousness would be like...

Andy

EternalPrize

Post by EternalPrize » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:10 am

Sighclone wrote:I hope this forum remains open to all investigations. My mind wanders all over hell, but there are very few "unwanted thoughts" (Ramana Maharshi.) I'm the last person in the world to declare invincibility. We have standard nondual responses, yes, and we have all made them...and they remain as tests, of a sort.

So when I or anyone tosses out a curveball...let's not dismiss it out of hand. The careful and friendly reminders in this thread are just the tonic for someone eager for a simple "Theory of Everything," even if that's unlikely to appear.

I'm writing a sci-fi novel about aliens who are one million years advanced over humans...some of my wilder thoughts come from imagining what that consciousness would be like...

Andy
Sounds like an interesting story. I've thought about that myself. I don't even think our consciousness remotely has the capability to imagine. Perhaps they'd invent entirely new forms of sensory perception?