Enlightenment seems to require "time"...

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
dijmart

Enlightenment seems to require "time"...

Post by dijmart » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:38 pm

I get how awakening does not take "time" to happen and that time is an illusion. Just by questioning someone with pointers to who is the seer of what is seen can at least momentarily in the now make someone aware that they ARE the seer of all things (awareness and all that entails- oneness, etc), but it seems that it takes effort to keep that point of view. At least for me it did, but is becoming more effortless recently. I recently had an experience and I think that truly jump started the process for me.

However, true enlightenment requires an abolishment of past conditioning, beliefs, patterns, etc. and to me it seems like that requires "time", time in a relative sense at least.

I really have know idea how Tolle and a few others had instantly become enlightened? If it requires extreme suffering well I've been there in my life and I didn't get enlightened... :lol: I question why if it's said this requires no time why it seems as like it does? How can someone just drop the conditioning, beliefs, patterns without looking at them and discounting them as untrue, going to the next one, so on and so forth. Another words, if you don't do that, then it seems logical to say the conditioning, etc will play out in your life at some point???? Uhhh I don't know.

What do you guys think about it?
Last edited by dijmart on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take what you like and leave the rest.

mystic1715

Re: Enlightenment seems to require "time"...

Post by mystic1715 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:20 pm

It's doubtful that all those monks who spent their lives meditating over the course of several thousand years were wrong. It does take time. But, America is a fast food culture and needs to be sold the idea that they are already enlightened, or at least it won't take longer than it takes to be served at a McDonalds.

hanss

Post by hanss » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:43 pm

Hi dijmart, you may find this old forum-thread interesting:
Challenging Eckhart: Practice is necessary, as is clock time
"In today's rush we all think too much, seek too much, want too much and forget about the joy of just Being."
(Eckhart Tolle)

nightowl

Post by nightowl » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:32 am

For me, believing that suffering is caused by thoughts is easy. Knowing it down to the core is the hard part. I think once we trust (down to our deepest self - not superficially) that suffering really is caused by the mind creating excruciating scenarios – not us – then we can get out from under it’s spell.

When there are years of conditioned beliefs by so many external forces it's no wonder it takes time. We've basically been brainwashed since birth!

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:33 am

Thanks for the replies. And yes, we have been brainwashed since birth :lol: I have come to the conclusion that regardless what I hear I do think it needs time, even if it's lapsed time in the present moment. Maybe that's why ET spent 2 yrs on a park bench!

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:51 am

Time & timeless.... Form & formless.

Form & formless are interwined, time & timeless is interwined. A person is interwined of both form & formless. An enlightened person simply recognized the formless dimension within them. Most people are completely lost in the world of form, they don't see their true nature is formless.... Pure awareness.... Two eye balls floating in space with no brain. :lol:

The most simple and direct way to notice the formless nature is to point back at where your head is... and look. All looking of this nature occurs in the present moment without the need for form. There is no interpretation or labelling required just a pure looking or listening.... what you see directly is spacious, expansive formless stillness!!!!

So yes "time" is part of a persons experience, however, you don't require it or loose it when you become aware of your formless nature.... Pure awareness.

Try pointing back at the space where your head is now... And look like your looking for the first time at your head. What do you really see? Not what everyone tells you is there or what you see in a mirror... What you see directly here and now. Looking in a mirror takes time & distance greater than a Planck length. So you can't really look at your head in the now by using a mirror.... It won't be a direct experience. Direct experience happens in no time at all... Smaller than Planck time.

Death is dissolving of form. Following the breath is a meditation for watching the death of breath, and then the recarnation or birth of another breath.

Pointing back at where your head is located.... following the form back to the formless.... Which is death of the "little me". But it can arise again. Just like the breath comes & goes and recarnation takes place. Forms are interwined with formless... As forms always come & go.... When forms go... Formless is felt.
Last edited by ashley72 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:26 am, edited 5 times in total.

rontant

Post by rontant » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:03 am

You need time until you realize that you don't need time. If not mistaken, this was what ET said, wasn't it? He also said the same about sufferings, when asked whether they are necessary or not.

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:15 am

rontant wrote:You need time until you realize that you don't need time.
:lol: Probably very true. I think it depends on the level of spiritual maturity one has and what perspective they are coming from in conscious awareness.