The God Helmet

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Rubber Soul

The God Helmet

Post by Rubber Soul » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:10 am

Have you heard of it?

It's an apparatus that stimulates the right temporal lobe causing people to have mystical-type experiences.

unbornawakened

Re: The God Helmet

Post by unbornawakened » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:47 am

Nice find ... Reading up on it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_helmet).

Don't need a helmet though to feel a presence ... try Salvia Divinorum (it's legal in most states).

walken

Post by walken » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:31 am

Nice find indeed. Will go nicely with my adidas, and leather jacket.

Enlightenment...

Here I come!

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:33 pm

Although this may have been started tongue in cheek (sorry if it wasn't, the wiki article has lots and lots of 'needs citation' in it) the article raises some interesting notions and for me, pointers, even if they seem to me to have the wrong end of the tail in once again suggesting the sense of oneness and the availability of knowledge beyond the 'normal' senses comes from parts of the brain rather than being open to them through stimulation of some brain functions.
The sessions are conducted with the subject seated in a comfortable chair in an acoustic chamber.[29] The acoustic chamber is also a Faraday cage,[28] shielding out all EMF emissions and radiation except the Earth's magnetic field. This shielding allows Persinger to use the apparatus to investigate the effects of geomagnetism on the human brain.[30][
This part pricked me, because we are increasingly subjected to electromagnetic fields and radiation at levels previously unknown in human history. More of us work and increasingly live in 'controlled' environments absolutely humming with it.
These fields are approximately as strong as those generated by a land line telephone handset or an ordinary hair dryer, but far weaker than that of an ordinary fridge magnet.
If you understand the effects of electricity and radiation on the human body, even in low doses, you would also understand why being away from civilisation has such a wonderful refreshing impact on us. We are being slow boiled in it every minute of every day in 'civilised' societies and most of us have no idea.

I wonder if the effects of this experiment decreasing depression etc might be simply from giving the participants a 'break' from the normal doses, rather than the controlled pulses introduced. Whether by this 'shielding' or by the introduced impulses the brain 'may' be able to realign to the natural energy sources of the universal oneness. It 'may' be that the differences in perception are dependent on ones ....hmmmm.... sensitivity (?) or the strength of the pathways for the neural transmitters within the brain.

Obviously I'm no neuro or scientist, but to me these things always seem to be interpreted upside down. I wonder how the monks in the meditation experiment mentioned elsewhere would go as participants.

In seeking wider understanding of the biological and neurological impacts, I found this interesting overview of ideas, including more of Persinger's. It's a pretty easy read that also raises interesting notions.
http://www.williamjames.com/Theory/BIOLOGY.htm
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com

EternalPrize

Post by EternalPrize » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:42 am

smiileyjen101 wrote:Although this may have been started tongue in cheek (sorry if it wasn't, the wiki article has lots and lots of 'needs citation' in it) the article raises some interesting notions and for me, pointers, even if they seem to me to have the wrong end of the tail in once again suggesting the sense of oneness and the availability of knowledge beyond the 'normal' senses comes from parts of the brain rather than being open to them through stimulation of some brain functions.
The sessions are conducted with the subject seated in a comfortable chair in an acoustic chamber.[29] The acoustic chamber is also a Faraday cage,[28] shielding out all EMF emissions and radiation except the Earth's magnetic field. This shielding allows Persinger to use the apparatus to investigate the effects of geomagnetism on the human brain.[30][
This part pricked me, because we are increasingly subjected to electromagnetic fields and radiation at levels previously unknown in human history. More of us work and increasingly live in 'controlled' environments absolutely humming with it.
These fields are approximately as strong as those generated by a land line telephone handset or an ordinary hair dryer, but far weaker than that of an ordinary fridge magnet.
If you understand the effects of electricity and radiation on the human body, even in low doses, you would also understand why being away from civilisation has such a wonderful refreshing impact on us. We are being slow boiled in it every minute of every day in 'civilised' societies and most of us have no idea.

I wonder if the effects of this experiment decreasing depression etc might be simply from giving the participants a 'break' from the normal doses, rather than the controlled pulses introduced. Whether by this 'shielding' or by the introduced impulses the brain 'may' be able to realign to the natural energy sources of the universal oneness. It 'may' be that the differences in perception are dependent on ones ....hmmmm.... sensitivity (?) or the strength of the pathways for the neural transmitters within the brain.

Obviously I'm no neuro or scientist, but to me these things always seem to be interpreted upside down. I wonder how the monks in the meditation experiment mentioned elsewhere would go as participants.

In seeking wider understanding of the biological and neurological impacts, I found this interesting overview of ideas, including more of Persinger's. It's a pretty easy read that also raises interesting notions.
http://www.williamjames.com/Theory/BIOLOGY.htm
I've wondered about this. I was sent up to work in a super-isolated city of 1,500 for a month and I *loved* it. Even my boss laughed when it was over, saying it seemed like I was absolutely thrilled to be there (which is so unlike most people). I didn't really know why but I definitely felt "different" when I walked outside. It felt quiet in a very refreshing way which had nothing to do with people, noise, or activity. Once I get into my 30's and whatnot, I don't think I would mind living in a small city like that at all (especially if I have a significant other). It's really a great feeling.

unbornawakened

Post by unbornawakened » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:52 am

It is definitely worth pondering. I had my greatest insights and quiet moment swhile leaving in more isolated smaller cities (though they were still large in comparison with yours). I attributed this to the depressive atmosphere of smaller boring cities, which accentuates the need for "spiritual solace". But it may be that the overall "FIELD" (?) generated by humans in those quieter cities (assuming the field is a function of spatial distance) is more quiet and peaceful. Even more impressive might be being in a natural place with few humans around. I wanted to experience that for more than a few days or weeks, but decided against it... not long ago. I feel there is something about humans and the thought/auric fields they generate that is toxic and venomous.
EternalPrize wrote: I was sent up to work in a super-isolated city of 1,500 for a month and I *loved* it. Even my boss laughed when it was over, saying it seemed like I was absolutely thrilled to be there (which is so unlike most people). I didn't really know why but I definitely felt "different" when I walked outside. It felt quiet in a very refreshing way which had nothing to do with people, noise, or activity. Once I get into my 30's and whatnot, I don't think I would mind living in a small city like that at all (especially if I have a significant other). It's really a great feeling.