Tell us about your meditation technique/experience

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Ervin

Tell us about your meditation technique/experience

Post by Ervin » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:17 pm

I just want to ask those who meditate, especially those who meditate on regular basis to tell me about the experience and benefits of meditation. Tell us about the technique you are using.What was it like when you first started compared to now? Tell us about the journey.

I need motivation!

Thanks

hanss

Re: Tell us about your meditation technique/experience

Post by hanss » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:19 pm

I am not the right person to answer this because I mix so much. I have one steady regular practice and that is Qigong every morning. Later in the day I can listen to a sound in my head, watch snowflakes falling or watch Little Me, whatever. It varies. In general I focus and put attention on something that slows down the mind and gives it less importance. Or playing with awareness in some weird ways (ashley here in the forum has many good methods). Lots of reading, listening and watching of videos. No complicated teachings. It must be pure, simple and to the core. My journey? It's a mess. No awakening (Self-realisation). Many weird experiences. Ups and downs. Insights. Much transformation in the brain and body. Suffering. Losses. Joy. More clarity and stronger prescence. Confusion. Peace. To most questions that people ask me the answer is "I don't know". What I do know is that I have more awareness/space and less mind activity. Much less past and future. There is more awareness of the thoughts and feelings, when they come and go. Gradually over time the periods of negativity (and similar) have become shorter and shorter. I like silence and stillness more. My first "classic" meditations lasted 3 minutes if I did not get restless or annoyed. Now I love 30-60 minutes of the same type of meditations.
"In today's rush we all think too much, seek too much, want too much and forget about the joy of just Being."
(Eckhart Tolle)

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:30 am

Ervin,

Do you know what first person seeing means? If not i'll give you a quick example. Well it's the same view as those 3D video games where you move around in the first person stance. You can never see your full body only what's is out in front all the time, usually arms & legs if you look down. You never see your head or face. When you first start playing those games you know it's only a flat tv screen with changing graphics, but when you start playing longer...it seems so real you quickly start perceiving a larger 3d reality which you move around as a person. Your thoughts perceive a larger world that you move around inside. But in reality your not moving anywhere the tv screen never moves. The pictures are moving in front of you on the screen.

Well the technique for seeing in the first person is to point back 180 degrees to your head/face region. If your doing it properly you will start to notice some very strange changes in your perception. The world seems to be contained inside you completely, your not person inside the world. When you drive a car, you will notice the road starts at the top of your peripheral vision and disappears at the bottom. The world seems to move inside of you. When you look down... Your legs seem to be upside down. This first person looking doesn't come & go. It's like a big single eye. When you look at others, it feels like there is just emptiness here. So when someone talks to you... There is their face here & your voice here, but your face is not here. So it seems like they're talking to empty space or themselves.

This first person seeing is direct seeing. The is awareness noticing awareness. When this happens the mind becomes quiet, because your no longer a individual person moving in a physical world, the world moves inside you. The struggling and the concept you as this individual separate avatar moving or struggling in the world suddenly dissolves & is no longer perceived that way. So a myriad of thoughts naturally fall away. 80% of thinking seems to magically disappear.

The more you abide as this first person seeing... the more you realise that your whole physical existence only exists because of 3rd person perception. Mental concepts which are added to first person seeing. If you take away those 3rd person concepts you suddenly no longer keeping identifying with the body or arms & legs. You identify with the TV screen as your true nature.... Which is the formless nature or space which does not come & go. This can be notice as the void around the single eye.. the far peripheral vision has a boundless void. This never comes & go.

You can instantly see that a separation doesnt exist. The subject and object are all contained in the Single eye... It's a merging of the two.

This is not a meditation this is direct experience and its the only direct experience available. The rest of physical reality is merely made up of memories and future projections of you existing in a 3D physical reality... It's not the direct experience.... our experience of physical reality or world is nothing more than a mental concept. Its more of a mish-mash of 3rd person perception snippets on top of first person seeing. The only reality is first person seeing... It doesn't come & go.

To find out more refer to this website.

http://www.headless.org

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:57 am

You might find this link helpful...

http://www.headless.org/articles/letter-to-martin.htm

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:30 am

Ervin,

Here are two threads that detail my practice.

There's a truth that's repeated in that book (2nd thread) that since meditation is the practice of the here and now, and since we're never not here and now, that meditation is pointless.

What goes along for the ride with that truth, and a few others about the nature of personhood, is that meditation can't and shouldn't be done with any goal in mind or to get anything from it.

Oh well. The mind likes to piss on the rose. This just is as it is.

In answer to that let me share two things. First this post, which is applicable to the conversation, and then an admission: there's still a person here for sure.

That said, what I get out of meditation varies, but it definitely lowers my blood pressure and relaxes me. No surprise there -- if you drop resistance to what is, if you let go of the endless struggle against the Universe, things go more smoothly. Sometimes, I notice, that right after a meditation, as I stand up, I wind up looking at an object that is just exactly what I purposed to use in that instant -- happened yesterday when I took a break from insulating a wall, decided to meditate, and when I stopped, and turned my head to the left, my eyes rested right on the can of peppermint spray (organic insecticide) that I was going to use when I got back to work.

I notice synchronicities (most small but sometimes there are surprises...) like that all the time that seem to correlate with practice, but I'm not about to attach any sort of belief to them ... it just seemed to be what you were looking for in your question so I thought I''d pass it on.

As far as the journey is concerned, the flip-side to that whole no-point-or-benefit-to-meditation complex of ideas is that rather than confining practice of the here and now to a set time and place, eventually you can (and I these days I do) see each and every moment as a meditation. Each and every moment is an opportunity and presents a choice. This spins out as sudden noticing of a story or attachment in the midst of it. I still do deliberately sit and practice, and not as regularly as I'd like ( :lol: ).

Best wishes in your practice dude. I'm sure that there are many here who would like to hear of how it goes for you.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

alex

Post by alex » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:55 am

Ófcourse reality/truth is never not here. It's right before our eyes and our very essence. No ammount of meditation or pactice is going to change or create the truth that already is. This doesnt mean, though, that it is pointless to meditate or practice, the purpose of these things is to bring you into an ever clearer and deepening recognition of what already is.
My meditation - very simple, the easiest of easy. Resting in the I AM presence. During daily life - just being here, living in the now and being the mystery.

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:57 am

alex wrote:During daily life - just being here, living in the now and being the mystery.
:)
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

hanss

Post by hanss » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:23 am

snowheight wrote:
alex wrote:During daily life - just being here, living in the now and being the mystery.
:)
Is anything more needed than these words, really? Do we need anymore knowledge, wisdom, practice or guidance than this? Maybe anything more than these words just take us away, leads us astray? Why not stop here? Do the mind want something more? Or the Self? What makes these words so good? Being here and in the now, yes. But the addition of mystery says something very important to me. We will never figure it all out, we will never be successful with understand it all or sort it out. Higher and lower, deeper, false, true, real, false or whatever. To fully accept the reality of the word mystery is probably an essential key. Thank you Alex.
"In today's rush we all think too much, seek too much, want too much and forget about the joy of just Being."
(Eckhart Tolle)

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:30 pm

hanss wrote:Is anything more needed than these words, really?
Capt. Obvious pipes in with ... kind of depends on the perspective now, doesn't it?

alex

Post by alex » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:22 am

Very welcome hanss! The mystery is something I've been getting well aquainted with lately. I have a little niggling feeling that it may be the end of the road... the unknown, never ending end of the road. Have you experienced becoming the mystery after coming into alignment with the moment or the 'isness'? I think this is called freedom as there is no inner reference point, a highly awake presence that doesn't latch on anywhere, it is freedom from being bound to anything. This is true innocence I think, nothing grand and special, just a humble un-knowingness.
When you can operate from here you find yourself naturally sinking into alignment with what you are doing/seeing/hearing. It feels so simple and natural and good.
We will never figure it all out, we will never be successful with understand it all or sort it out. Higher and lower, deeper, false, true, real, false or whatever. To fully accept the reality of the word mystery is probably an essential key
Yup.
Self enquiry is really useful. During meditation/self-enquiry, the moment you see clearly for yourself that you are thought free awareness you are catapulted into the mystery. You have no content, there is no solid place to rest, awareness is freed and able to experience innocent curiosity again!

tod

Post by tod » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:27 pm

alex wrote:The mystery is something I've been getting well aquainted with lately. I have a little niggling feeling that it may be the end of the road... the unknown, never ending end of the road. Have you experienced becoming the mystery after coming into alignment with the moment or the 'isness'? I think this is called freedom as there is no inner reference point, a highly awake presence that doesn't latch on anywhere, it is freedom from being bound to anything. This is true innocence I think, nothing grand and special, just a humble un-knowingness.
When you can operate from here you find yourself naturally sinking into alignment with what you are doing/seeing/hearing. It feels so simple and natural and good.
Lovely. Thank you Alex