Is It True That What You Resist Persists?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Rick

Is It True That What You Resist Persists?

Post by Rick » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:52 pm

I am curious to know what others think about the statement "What you resist, persists".

I am really more interested in your understanding of the mechanics of the law, that is, if you believe this to be a law.

If so, what is it about resistance that causes the persistence?
Daily life IS spiritual exercise.

rachMiel

Re: Is It True That What You Resist Persists?

Post by rachMiel » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:50 pm

I think of it as: The return of the repressed.

I don't know if it's a "law" or not, but it certainly seems human-universal.

On a neurological level, I've read that when you recall a memory, it becomes plastic, able to be changed, strengthened, weakened. So if you prevent yourself from recalling a memory, it remains fixed. Perhaps resisting recalling it makes it dig its roots down even deeper, become more fixed.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:33 pm

Yes, In my experience it's true.

An emotion is an association between a thought and body sensations. We can see this with strong emotions such as anxiety and anger--there is an association between thought and accompanying body sensations, and these feed each other in an increasingly energetic loop.

When we resist, these emotions come back, with more and more energy. When we allow and watch and fully experience the emotion, we are able to decide to simply let go of the emotion.

Resistance seems to come from the original fear and gets stronger with repetition.

What the physical mechanism of it is, I don't know. What rachMiel says makes sense.

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:22 pm

karmarider wrote:When we allow and watch and fully experience the emotion, we are able to decide to simply let go of the emotion.
Is it a decision? Or does it just happen if the emotion is not energized/extended by thought? Whatcha think?
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:45 pm

rachMiel wrote:
karmarider wrote:When we allow and watch and fully experience the emotion, we are able to decide to simply let go of the emotion.
Is it a decision? Or does it just happen if the emotion is not energized/extended by thought? Whatcha think?
Yes, good point. It's just language. The letting go happens--I don't decide on it.

But it's helpful in the release technique to say that we can fully allow the emotion, make space for it, and then ask ourselves if we can let it go. The technique works. But you're right, there isn't a choice taking place. It's just natural mechanics.

rideforever

Post by rideforever » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:30 pm

What is it about resistance that causes persistence ?

It is the existence of resistance that is the persistence.

However let us not dismiss resistance out of hand. It is very useful to delay the onset of psychic activity until you arrive at a physical situation where you are safe enough to unite with it.

Resistance is one facility of the mind.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:05 am

Rick wrote:I am curious to know what others think about the statement "What you resist, persists".

I am really more interested in your understanding of the mechanics of the law, that is, if you believe this to be a law.

Great question.

My view: There is a natural flow of life energy that is the power behind all manifested experience. It is Source Energy and is fundamentally creative in its nature. This raw energy makes no distinction on the quality or expression of the manifested experience. Like electricity, it can light up your world, or kill you in an instant. The free flow of this energy is unrestricted in its usage.

Any given experience that one has is a result of one's focus of attention, both present and historical - historical in the degree that attention persists in the form of one's adopted concepts and beliefs.

Resistance is a focus, conscious or unconscious, on something - conditions, fears, memories, etc. - that one wants not to be. What is resisted persists simply because there is continuing focus of attention upon the resisted, and that focus is a focus of the natural flow of life energy, and that energy brings power to the creative process and to the manifestation that is the focus of that life creative energy.

All manifestation is the conscious experience of vibration translated into experience. Focus of attention is the focus of the free flowing energy into specific vibrations that is translated in consciousness into tangible experience. How cool.

WW

arel

Post by arel » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:31 am

Rick wrote:I am curious to know what others think about the statement "What you resist, persists".

My take is this - what persists is what you give attention to. When you "resist", you are an entity resisting another entity. ANd it's hard not to give attention to that then, fear draws attention like nothing else. When you accept that very thing there is space that opens up around it, that's what acceptance is, isn't it? That space is you, and what you resisted, is what happens in you.
Rick wrote:]If so, what is it about resistance that causes the persistence?
I would say the wrong sense of self, what they call "ignorance".
What I say is only my viewpoint.

the key master

Post by the key master » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:13 pm

No, I don't believe it be a law, because it isn't one. If I come up to you and start whacking you over the head with a hammer, your resistance to me repeatedly thumping you will actually lead to the head hammering to stop. So, resistance can lead to cessation, not persistence, in certain instances.

The question about the mechanics is a good one. What is it about resistance which causes persistence? If there is the belief that something is true which isn't, the unwillingness to see through that belief leads to the persistence of the belief. And since nothing is ultimately true, Truth is about the most persistent lil bugger anyone could possibly imagine. Even that's not true, however.

Rick

Post by Rick » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:26 pm

karmarider wrote:
An emotion is an association between a thought and body sensations. We can see this with strong emotions such as anxiety and anger--there is an association between thought and accompanying body sensations, and these feed each other in an increasingly energetic loop.

When we resist, these emotions come back, with more and more energy.
OK, so there is a relationship between thought and emotion - one feeding the other and/or visa versa - giving rise to anxious and fearful thinking and feelings.

Question:

A thought might suggest that there is a boogey man in the closet which gives rise to being fearful of opening the closet door, or staying in the room or turning out the light - doesn't one have to buy into the thought in the first place in order for fear to become a problem? What happens if the thought comes and you refuse to buy into it?

Rick

Post by Rick » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:36 pm

Webwanderer wrote: What is resisted persists simply because there is continuing focus of attention upon the resisted...
This attention you speak of implies a habitual like focus on the thing resisted which accounts for its persistence.

How does this continuing focus create persistence in say, a smoking habit where one wants to quit but can not?

Rick

Post by Rick » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:40 pm

arel wrote:
My take is this - what persists is what you give attention to.
One is consciously aware of one's issues...that is the nature of being Conscious. There must be a distinction between being Aware and a wrong way of giving attention to the thing that persists. What do you suppose such a distinction could be?

Rick

Post by Rick » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:43 pm

the key master wrote:If there is the belief that something is true which isn't, the unwillingness to see through that belief leads to the persistence of the belief.
Is it truly just unwillingness?

Could it not be simply not knowing how?

the key master

Post by the key master » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:49 pm

OK, so there is a relationship between thought and emotion - one feeding the other and/or visa versa - giving rise to anxious and fearful thinking and feelings.
I would say there is a contextual relationship between thought and emotion. The idea that one can feed the other and vice versa is a concept we create to understand what's going on through what we could call the illusion of movement or change. This is dream talk, and logic is our language.
A thought might suggest that there is a boogey man in the closet which gives rise to being fearful of opening the closet door, or staying in the room or turning out the light - doesn't one have to buy into the thought in the first place in order for fear to become a problem? What happens if the thought comes and you refuse to buy into it?
Ok, first we have a premise that a thought was the cause of the fearful feeling, the thought that there is a boogey man in the closet. Who's to say what caused that thought however? Nothing within the realm of cause and effect causes anything else within the realm of cause and effect. Or we could just say everything is the cause of everything else.

So, what if you refuse to buy into a thought? First I would just say that the idea of cultivating a fearless experience won't ultimately work, because its being motivated by a fear of fear and the delusion that one is a "person" who could fear "something else". With that said, a deeper exploration of cause and effect can be a worthwhile thing at times. If the delusion arises that there is a boogey man in the closet, if its believed there is a boogey man in the closet, "not buying into the thought" isn't an option. Why is the thought arising in the first place? I find there to be an intricate link between unconscious emotional energy and deluded thinking. It is that mind willingly chooses to remain blind to the truth of something which it thinks is true (even though it ultimately isnt) which leads to the boogey man phenomena. Same goes for giraffes which appear in the form of spiritual beliefs about a person who is progressing through the awakening process real good. Its the person which is being processed out of the experience, which can be noticed as an absence, an absence of the idea that there was someone to free to begin with. There's no room for fear of fear in that equation.

the key master

Post by the key master » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Rick wrote:
the key master wrote:If there is the belief that something is true which isn't, the unwillingness to see through that belief leads to the persistence of the belief.
Is it truly just unwillingness?

Could it not be simply not knowing how?
Yes, or simply not being conscious of something which is unconsciously believed to be true. So, its less of a how, but more of a becoming conscious of how not to. How do you become conscious of an unconscious belief which isn't true? You allow what isn't conscious, to become so. Mind don't actually have to know how to do nuthin. What's being sought is the absence of something already being done (resistance).