Curb Your Enthusiasm

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
poptart

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Post by poptart » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:15 am

I was watching Curb Your Enthusiasm, the Larry David sitcom, recently and it occurred to me that it is really about a man who is driven entirely by ego. Of course this is what gives rise to the funny situations he ends up in, but his obsessive worrying about insignificant details is very familiar because these are the thoughts the ego keeps generating in everyone's mind all the time.

Any thoughts?
I keep meaning to procrastinate.

kiki

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm

Post by kiki » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:36 pm

Good observation, and a very funny show.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

GiveUpTheGhost

Post by GiveUpTheGhost » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:06 pm

Great show, it also demonstrates how absurdly complex human relations are in the mind-identified state. To paraphrase Eckhart "most human interactions are an exchange between four entirely conceptual entities: who you think you are, who you think the other person is, who the other person thinks they are and who the other person thinks you are."

This gives rise to the countless 'rules' that must be followed to facilitate smooth social interactions and avoid causing offense, when someone can't wrap their head around this insanely complex rulebook they are labelled aspergers or autistic, or they become a comedy writer :lol:
Gather up the lost and their souls...

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:03 pm

I don't think that's here yet, but does anyone see the irony?
Conscious being/doing = acceptance, enjoyment, enthusiasm.

Is it the 'curb your enthusiasm' - is the enthusiasm in this light?
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com