Left brain Right brain the we in me

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
smiileyjen101

Left brain Right brain the we in me

Post by smiileyjen101 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:21 pm

In light of recent discussion and the wider convergence of science and nature, of research and experience, I am thrilled to share this video with you. I can see elements that everyone will appreciate and discuss from their right brains or their left brains, and you'll understand that after you've watched Dr Jill Bolte Taylor's presentation.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_tay ... sight.html

One morning, a blood vessel in Jill Bolte Taylor's brain exploded. As a brain scientist, she realized she had a ringside seat to her own stroke. She watched as her brain functions shut down one by one: motion, speech, memory, self-awareness ...

Amazed to find herself alive, Taylor spent eight years recovering her ability to think, walk and talk. She has become a spokesperson for stroke recovery and for the possibility of coming back from brain injury stronger than before. In her case, although the stroke damaged the left side of her brain, her recovery unleashed a torrent of creative energy from her right. From her home base in Indiana, she now travels the country on behalf of the Harvard Brain Bank as the "Singin' Scientist."

"How many brain scientists have been able to study the brain from the inside out? I've gotten as much out of this experience of losing my left mind as I have in my entire academic career."
Jill Bolte Taylor
She is absolutely delightful, and I know her tears as she laughs.

There has also been a new research arm born of Dr Alexander's knowledge and experience willing to bring brain science to new heights, widths, depths. We live in exciting times.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com

ashley72

Re: Left brain Right brain the we in me

Post by ashley72 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:11 am

Hi Jen,

I noticed in Dr Jill Bolte Taylor's talk at around 3min 50sec she describes the differences between the left & right hemispheres of the brain. She says that the right hemisphere is specifically in the "PRESENT MOMENT" or "HERE & NOW"..... taking in the raw data so to speak. This correlates with what Dr James Austin said in another talk about the differences between left & right hemispheres of the brain. However, he describes it a little differently..... the right side of the brain predominately deals with the "attentional" aspects of our cognition. He also goes on to say, that most meditation practice involve the training of attention. On the other hand, the left side mainly deals with language abilities and is much more of a fine-grain discrimination.

Dr Jill Bolte on the right hemisphere => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-9QFjzIvAw#t=03m50s

Dr James Austin on the right hemisphere => http://youtu.be/vEIXijQctlQ#t=14m43s

Are you familiar with the Stroop Effect?

Here is your job: name the colors of the following words. Do NOT read the words...rather, say the color of the words. For example, if the word "BLUE" is printed in a red color, you should say "RED". Say the colors as fast as you can. It is not as easy as you might think.

Why does the language meaning interfere with the the task?

In Stroop scenarios, participants are shown stimuli that may contain one or two sets of information to process. When a complex stimulus (i.e., one containing both verbal and color information) is displayed, participants must attend to and identify one dimension of the stimulus while ignoring the other dimension. When such selective attention is required, some stimuli provide greater interference than others do. Previous studies have suggested that reading is a relatively automatic process. If reading does occur automatically, verbal material may provide more interference because of the difficulty in ignoring it.

A potential physiological explanation for the Stroop effect is related to the lateralization of certain cognitive functions to different hemispheres of the brain. In Stroop scenarios, the stimuli presented may contain both verbal and color information. Research on hemispheric specialization has supported the notion that verbal functions (including language, speech, and writing) tend to be localized in the left hemisphere and non-verbal functions (spatial problems, music, art, and color distinction) tend to be localized in the right hemisphere (Corballis, 1991). If an identification task involves functions tapping both hemispheres, it is more cognitively complex and thus requires more time to process.

Why have I bothered to focus on this aspect of the talks?

Because meditation practices are all about retraining our attentive capabilities.... & because our brains are adaptive it can rewire its attentional networks....this amazing adaptive ability of the brain as applied to ever-changing internal and external factors is called as “neuroplasticity.” This capacity of the brain to act and respond to both intrinsic and extrinsic changes enables the billions of nerve cells called neurons to aid in the different learning processes by means of continuously creating and/or rearranging neural pathways through which communication between the nerves occurs. Neuroplasticity allows the adaptive brain to store a new set of information or master a new skill. Without it, we would not have the ability to memorize things that are new to us, or even adjust to the new environment we’re in.

The scientific research => Meditation experience is associated with increased cortical thickness on the right side of the brain

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:56 am

Another interesting part of Jill's talk was when she described the brain in respect to a computer analogy.

The left-side of the brain - is like a serial processor
The right-side of the brain - is like a parallel processor

A parallel processor (right-side of the brain) can take in multiple inputs simultaneously as depicted in this illustration.

A serial processor (left-side of the brain) is like a "stream" of inputs that occur in a sequential fashion.

IMO this tells me that mind-wandering (thinking process) is a left-sided brain function.

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:54 pm

It might be also worth mentioning in this discussion that some people have a complete hemisphere removal and still live to tell the tale.

HALF-BRAINED: Taking out half of a child's brain seems not to affect their personality but can prevent dangerous seizure disorders.

Article => http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... than-whole

Still, having half a brain—and therefore only the use of one hand and half a field of vision in each eye—is a condition most would prefer to avoid.

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:46 am

Thanks for the links and pics Ash. I’ve watched yours and will add one in the next post ; )

Can I ask... how aware are you when you allow the right brain to take over the driving so to speak? Or if you’re relating with someone, how aware are you which state they are in and shifting through?

And, if at all, how aware were you which was your primary viewing and responding impulse when watching Dr Jill’s presentation? Did you notice any internal resistances or turning down or judging of her energies when filtering into your cognizance or did you flow freely with her as she moved from left to right expressing? How aware were you of the differences in her energy as she was expressing from the different areas and of your own acceptance or filtering of that? Did one or the other states attract and hold you more comfortably?

In Dr Austin's talking to highly intelligent people in terms of their likely predominant left brain use and that his talk might not be able to be intuited by them comfortably - he reminded me of that Einstein quote about the rational mind being a great servant and the intuitive mind being a great gift, but that many use the servant (left brain) as the master and forget the gift (right brain).

This also tracks into Dr Jill’s talk towards the end of the video asking which sphere are you aware of in perspective and viewing the world, life and everything, and which would you choose knowing the relative capacities of the right brain to (links back to Dr Austin's chart on perspectives) and back to Dr Jill which DO you choose.

Are you very aware of this in yourself? I seem to be.

I tend to be able ... and not as an 'all' but very much as a 'part' is accepted and understood intuitively more by me since my nde but words are inadequate. When I saw Dr Jill's talk I went ....like that!... how she IS the joy of right brain and the funny irreverent but absolutely spot on logical reasoning of left brain as a servant. The things she speaks of in right brain are the things that are experientially magnified in an nde, and I guess also in clair abilities... AND the left brain capacity is bigger than a trillion gazillion servant computers in being able to cognitise and awarely judge the validity of the 'data' when time and space is collapsed, even though like the Stroop Effect it may not seem naturally ‘logical’.

Please don't get side tracked on that being outside of whatever, I'm 'just sayin'. The Stroop Effect ‘fits’ from both ways.

... to experientially understand and use the right brain capacities in a logical manner, utilising the left brain capacities to a high standard, but absolutely as Einstein said, as a wonderful servant, absolutely changes the way we filter and experience stimuli and understand the interaction of energy in motion.

From this I might say -

Because I awarely choose and use right brain freely, I'm aware of more in any given moment and fear less.

In company I'm told I leave an 'impression' my energy presence is bigger than me even if I say nothing, so her free flowing demonstration of not fitting into her body is a humorous and okay thing for me – how did it feel for you when she was expressing so effervescently like that? I notice some who view things more left brain get uncomfortable trying to relate to that sort of ‘uncontrolled’ displays.

For me, it’s a brilliant and easy state or energy frequency to hold and through which to view the world - one moment at a time, accepting all as it is. I can take Dr Jill's stuff & Dr Austin’s stuff and relate it to soooo many instances of left brain-right brain experiential situations of immense growth in understanding things in self and others - the spokes that make up the wheels of a thing and seeing the blockages or unnecessary 'framing' that Dr Austin illustrated in the egoic frame of reference.

A couple of examples, I had two daughters who were both incredibly intelligent in their own ways who naturally employed the two totally different ways of being and thinking and processing, which meant I had to ‘shift’ with them to see and understand their perspectives when on task. One more left brain oriented, would break down the micro elements and learn and apply herself through that tight mesh point of view, often in the past or future and absolutely aware of ‘natural consequences’; the other would view more globally and instinctively and process more widely and almost always be in the present. One more naturally leaned towards understanding the theory, the other more towards enacting the practical. Balance comes when they would lean towards fleshing out the opposite.

Another example, which also reminded me of your Stroop Effect, was when I had an artist friend staying with me and she started to get extremely frustrated when transferring a photo image to canvass. After a while I asked what was upsetting her, usually she was very quietly happy and oblivious to the world around her when painting.

The photo was of a group of Aboriginal kids in the desert with their dog. Two things were driving her nuts. One was that one of the kid’s legs had a green sheen on it. Logically there was no green in the picture – blue sky, red sand, brown skin. Every time she shaded the leg brown it looked ‘wrong’, but her logical reasoning resisted allowing her to shade the leg green. The other thing was the angle of one of the dog’s legs. It wasn’t biologically resonant with anything anatomically realistic it had ‘disappeared’ from view in a seemingly unnatural way, so she was trying to put it back. The dog had four legs and she knew it, but there was nowhere to put the fourth leg.

It’s interesting as I look back now. In professionally creating scenes and angles for a viewer in my more recent work, we often ‘cheat’ perspectives when showing things from different angles so the audience’s left brain won’t have the sorts of dilemmas that my artist friend was having. We will move subject/objects to maintain continuity with the primary angles and my cameraman is an absolute genius at noticing and reframing to avoid the unconscious ‘discord’ in logical reasoning.

Back then intuitively I basically told her to over-rule her logic and paint the kid’s leg the green that it was and the dog’s leg missing. As an artist one would think right brain was predominant, but in this instance her left brain had taken over as she worked not from instinct and global creativity of it is what it is, but from the tight mesh screen of ‘logic’ as she minutely viewed and ‘judged’ the photographic image instead of accepting ‘what is’. She painted it as it was and it’s brilliant – green leg and missing leg are perfect in the landscape. She had been worried other people would be irritated as she was.

The left brain is not always 'right' :lol:

Can you also see it in terms of things like politics and education... I think it's 'neat' - our right (global) brain goes to left viewing and 'lefties' are more aligned with the universal.
Our left brain goes to right viewing or self.. so 'righties' ... concentrate more on issues as they affect the individual. Neat noticing hey?

I also tentatively looked at things like you and me and our previous phobias... claustrophobia fear of being 'confined', agoraphobia fear of the wider environment.... interesting yes?
Last edited by smiileyjen101 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:23 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrsySWJgKfo ET on his awakening part one

I then found this video on ET being asked about his awakening experience. It's a 28 minute video and its interesting for me in both 'content' and 'process', which I can process simultaneously.

I wanted to apply Dr Jill's perspectives to ET's sharings. I decided to view it as if one of my own productions, in awareness of the elements & energies. I've professionally spent a lot of time working, interviewing, filming, analysing facial features frame by 1/25th of a second frame, creating resonatingly believable characters/positions/perspectives and scenes/situations in order to allow an audience to accept and follow a discussion or scenario and process new information.

So after absorbing Dr Jill’s stuff this is what I ‘noticed’... and I was looking at/for it because the words acceptance, enjoyment, enthusiasm as I process them in high vibration, right brain freedom energy, differ from ET’s expression of them that seem so much more tightly framed and controlled, and I've always wondered why, with this knowledge is it not more freely expressive. To me, in honesty and with respect he appears at times more to be someone who's on Valium constricting elements of processing expression rather than actually free of repression, if that makes sense.

I’d love to see ET as free as Dr Jill is when she was speaking awarely right brain free and full. He uses the words but still in a constrained manner when you see him express them. With the free joy of 'what' he says I just want to see him dance the chicken dance some time!

It appears to me that his answers in the beginning of this video when the interviewer is asking him to share deeply about his awakening, are more left brain centric a little guarded or tightly framed. I'd use guarded because I see people put up their 'frames' in both what they let out, and what they let in, an actor larking around and then ‘framing’ to the character when you call …and…action! Or a person freely talking and suddenly clenching up when the camera rolls to record an interview. It's palpable if they are not 'in the moment' completely.

The eyes are indeed the 'window to the soul' in the processing. At the beginning his eyes are rapid blinking, as well as noticing his breathing in depth and tempo; noticing blood flow – pulsing in the neck indicating blood pressure and heart rate; and eye movement and body posture, head framing, fluidity or restraint in movement and speech delivery within their own 'range of expression' as in a shy person has a different range to a gregarious person but they will both still perceptibly 'shift' within their own ranges. Noticing reception responses when they're listening to the interviewer; as well as what it is they are saying and appreciating the energy level and either accord or discord of all of the elements of it for consistency in the total sending and receiving – communication process.

So imho, I would notice that for the majority of the early interview he's 'somewhat' guarded and answering primarily from the left brain, punctuated occasionally with ‘release’ techniques or mechanisms.

His energy level is low and constrained... one might say it’s on the level of 'acceptance'... and for 'enthusiasm' see Dr Jill when she's taking about the right brain ; )

About 20 minutes in they start talking about his technique of going into the body energy, leaving the 'mind' energy and focusing on the body energy... he instantly becomes freer as he not only describes it but goes into himself. His (for me in acute attention) body becomes less rigid, his eyes soften and moisten and he blinks less, he smiles and jokes more freely and sincerely/authentically... he moves more into 'enjoyment' - he's shifting more to right brain, his words are more intuitive and free, his body is more in harmony and free.

I think what he speaks about and the practice that he's describing is merely move into right brain awareness ... which is of course always NOW and always in harmony with 'what is'. It does appear to me that his discussions about experiencing depression and his time at university and afterwards always being in his mind etc is indicative of someone who used to live using his left brain as master. He doesn't recall the 'moments' in university or having an awareness of his surroundings or other people who noticed him, his recall is of how he was projecting from the moment into the future – using now as a means to an end.... for me with his left brain relentlessly driving the show, exhaustingly hard work rather than enjoyable learning and experiencing. Expectation of reward that was always moving in front of or behind him, never present.

So I think his 'awakening' was a right brain takeover, in surrendering that the left brain could not handle it, the right brain finally got a chance and as he said he gradually learned to apply those principles ... acceptance, enjoyment and enthusiasm, aware when the 'ego' takes over and makes enemy, obstacle, means to an end of a thing, situation or person.

The question Dr Jill asks still remains – what would one choose… what does one choose?

My further question is how aware are people of a) the choice and
b) the choosing and
c) the effects, not just on your own life, but on everything around and in contact with you?

Can I also ask … how does one feel seeing Dr Jill dancing around and laughing etc… were you aware of watching her with your left or right brain engaged? Whichever one you think you primarily used, try going back and watching it using the other one and see if you notice any differences, or resistances.

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:12 am

smileyjen101 wrote:Are you very aware of this in yourself? I seem to be.

I tend to be able ... and not as an 'all' but very much as a 'part' is accepted and understood intuitively more by me since my nde but words are inadequate.
Interesting that you should now mention that.... I was just reading the following passage from Julian Jaynes "Origin of Consciousness"
Consciousness Not a Copy of Experience

Although the metaphor of the blank mind had been used in the writings ascribed to Aristotle, it is really only since John Locke thought of the mind as a tabula rasa in the seventeenth century that we have emphasized this recording aspect of consciousness, and thus see it crowded with memories that can be read over again in introspection. If Locke had lived in our time, he would have used the metaphor of a camera rather than a slate. But the idea is the same. And most people would protest emphatically that the chief function of consciousness is to store up experience, to copy it as a camera does, so that it can be reflected upon at some future time.
So it seems. But consider the following problems: Does thedoor of your room open from the right or the left? Which is your second longest finger? At a stoplight, is it the red or the green that is on top? How many teeth do you see when brushing your teeth? What letters are associated with what numbers on a telephone dial? If you are in a familiar room, without turning around, write down all the items on the wall just behind you, and then look.
I think you will be surprised how little you can retrospect in consciousness on the supposed images you have stored from so much previous attentive experience. If the familiar door sud- denly opened the other way, if another finger suddenly grew longer, if the red light were differently placed, or you had an extra tooth, or the telephone were made differently, or a new window latch had been put on the window behind you, you would know it immediately, showing that you all along ‘knew’, but not consciously so. Familiar to psychologists, this is the distinction between recognition and recall. What you can consciously recall is a thimbleful to the huge oceans of your actual knowledge.
Experiments of this sort demonstrate that conscious memory is not a storing up of sensory images, as is sometimes thought. Only if you have at some time consciously noticed your finger lengths or your door, have at some time counted your teeth, though you have observed these things countless times, can you remember. Unless you have particularly noted what is on the wall or recently cleaned or painted it, you will be surprised at what you have left out. And introspect upon the matter. Did you not in each of these instances ask what must be there? Starting
with ideas and reasoning, rather than with any image? Conscious retrospection is not the retrieval of images, but the retrieval of what you have been conscious of before,5 and the reworking of these elements into rational or plausible patterns.

Let us demonstrate this in another way. Think, if you will, of when you entered the room you are now in and when you picked up this book. Introspect upon it and then ask the question: are the images of which you have copies the actual sensory fields as you came in and sat down and began reading? Don’t you have an image of yourself coming through one of the doors, perhaps even a bird’s-eye view of one of the entrances, and then perhaps vaguely see yourself sitting down and picking up the book? Things which you have never experienced except in this intro- spection! And can you retrieve the sound fields around the event? Or the cutaneous sensations as you sat, took the pressure
off your feet, and opened this book? Of course, if you go on with your thinking you can also rearrange your imaginal retrospection such that you do indeed ‘see’ entering the room just as it might have been; and ‘hear’ the sound of the chair and the book open- ing, and ‘feel’ the skin sensations. But I suggest that this has a large element of created imagery — what we shall call narratiz- ing a little later — of what the experience should be like, rather than what it actually was like.
Or introspect on when you last went swimming: I suspect you have an image of a seashore, lake, or pool which is largely a retrospection, but when it comes to yourself swimming, lo! like Nijinsky in his dance, you are seeing yourself swim, something that you have never observed at all! There is precious little of the actual sensations of swimming, the particular waterline across your face, the feel of the water against your skin, or to what extent your eyes were underwater as you turned your head to breathe.6 Similarly, if you think of the last time you slept out of doors, went skating, or — if all else fails — did something that you regretted in public, you tend not to see, hear, or feel things as you actually experienced them, but rather to re-create them in objective terms, seeing yourself in the setting as if you were somebody else. Looking back into memory, then, is a great deal invention, seeing yourself as others see you. Memory is the medium of the must-have-been. Though I have no doubt that in any of these instances you could by inference invent a subjective view of the experience, even with the conviction that it was the actual memory.

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:54 am

What you can consciously recall is a thimbleful to the huge oceans of your actual knowledge.
The difference is that one is IN - present and expansive awareness, yes, the other is about... past / future, siloed, filtered etc

What I was asking is do you know where and how wide your perspective is and which parts of your brain are engaged when, and how to 'shift' effortlessly and expansively within and between them. Can you feel the joy Dr Jill is expressing in so fully knowing her right brain capacity after years of left brain incarceration?

In Dr Austin's talk, right at the beginning he cautioned that to access the (right) intuitive mind view they may have to go outside and relax into the intuitive energy level - the more expansive awareness level, the now, the present in order to fully comprehend.

The rational mind likes to be in 'control', we know this.

We are instantly happier, in right brain mode - or as ET says with and employing inner awareness. It's not that he misses anything on the 'outside' its that he embraces it all holistically.

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:26 am

smileyjen10 wrote:What I was asking is do you know where and how wide your perspective is and which parts of your brain are engaged when, and how to 'shift' effortlessly and expansively within and between them. Can you feel the joy Dr Jill is expressing in so fully knowing her right brain capacity after years of left brain incarceration?
I can tell you this:

My Brain Usage Profile:

Auditory : 42%
Visual : 57%
Left : 41%
Right : 58%

The Brain Test: Determine which side of your brain left or right is dominant Most people have a distinct preference for one of these styles using their brain. Which one are you?

ZenDrumming

Post by ZenDrumming » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:50 pm

I teared up at the end of watching that video. Really powerful, thanks for showing me.

I noticed that, during her explanation of the stroke, I was slightly able to go with her into the right brain. I was mostly reminded of times in the past when I felt the same WOW realization ("how weird is my body right now?"). It's amazing how she is able to express it. I wonder if she is mostly relating from memory, or if she is able to trigger it with the flip of an internal switch.

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:32 am

I wonder if she is mostly relating from memory, or if she is able to trigger it with the flip of an internal switch.
I think she's correct when she says we can choose, and we do choose.

Compare her discussing life, to ET in the video above.

Think about when you have been carefree, playful, full of enthusiasm... it's likely no different to her exuberance, joie de vivre in French - joy of life and also known as 'an exultation of spirit'. Her laughter and tears and thoughts and actions all flow fluently, her intelligence is intact, her logical reasoning used when necessary.

Think of the Dalai Lama... notice any similarities?

rideforever

Post by rideforever » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:46 pm

How can a person choose to be in the right hemisphere ?

There have been others who through an accident reached enlightenment, but they didn't know how it happened. Even if we wanted to have a stroke in order to achieve this aim ... we would be unlikely to do it in such a way that it worked.

And there were others who induced it in themselves who's testimony is invaluable.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:37 pm

smileyjen101 wrote:It appears to me that his answers in the beginning of this video when the interviewer is asking him to share deeply about his awakening, are more left brain centric a little guarded or tightly framed.
Well clearly Eckhart Tolle is retrospectively going over past events in his mind, because the interviewer, has kindly asked him, to take his attentional focus to the past events; when he recalls the lead up & moment "awakening" occurred.

At around 7 min he starts explaining the moment during his "awakening" that he had the "introspective" realisation that he was actually attending to the narrator in his mind. Julian Jaynes describes this as a very important feature of Consciousness. Tolle explains this by saying he realised there seem to be two of me. 1.) The narrator wanting to end the suffering and another 2.) silent witness watching what the narrator says. Julian Jayne says the (witness) is another important feature of Consciousness he called the analog "I", it is contentless, but helps to navigate & orientate, and most most importantly introspect the mind-space (retrospective & prospective aspects).
smileyjen101 wrote:About 20 minutes in they start talking about his technique of going into the body energy, leaving the 'mind' energy and focusing on the body energy... he instantly becomes freer as he not only describes it but goes into himself. His (for me in acute attention) body becomes less rigid, his eyes soften and moisten and he blinks less, he smiles and jokes more freely and sincerely/authentically... he moves more into 'enjoyment' - he's shifting more to right brain, his words are more intuitive and free, his body is more in harmony and free.

At this stage he starts to Extrospect...which is to focus his attention on to present moment bodily sensations. Eckhart Tolle IMO has mastered his mind-body. He realises that focussing his attentional focus on bodily sensations takes him out of retrospective, prospective & introspective states of mind.

Some more suitable labels for this could be... intro-attentive, retro-attentive, pro-attentive or extro-attentive.

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:47 pm

Thanks Ash, that was a good analysis.
rideforever said: How can a person choose to be in the right hemisphere ?
By choosing our perspective.

We do it anyway depending on what stimuli we are giving value to, from a perspective as Ash has detailed above somewhat.

In practical terms when you were talking about your meditation in the mirror releasing your pain and fears you noticed the point where your perspective widened and you could still acknowledge the minutae of stimuli (that left brain was processing on task) and then became aware of the wider picture and it all being okay and fascinating - which is right brain kicking in.

We can do this consciously, for me it takes only an out-breath, a letting go of a personal positioning perspective and allowing the moment to be seen/felt/explored in all its perspectives, it brings a wider more global appreciation of everything. In that presence acceptance, enjoyment and enthusiasm can flow. In that presence inspiration (which is always there) can flow, gratitude and generosity (love) can flow, and we see ourselves as part of the all.

In creative pursuits it happens as we lose ourselves in things - become one with things. Our capacities don't diminish, they exponentially increase.

In EFT the 'tapping' keeps the left brain busy and allows the right brain to flow more globally on things the left brain previously fixated upon too tightly.

When we become aware of the left brain as a servant and the right brain as a gift, we can become aware when the left brain is 'taking over' and calm it with the creativity and love of the right hemisphere.

If you look again at the video - can you appreciate her free-ness, or would ego/left brain make being that free into a problem? What would be the 'problem' with it? What would ego do with it?

When you watched it were you aware of whether you were flowing with it, or taking it apart, or both simultaneously? In harmony or in judgement?

Knowing the workings of our brain is only of use to us if we apply that knowledge - choosing is applying it.

rideforever

Post by rideforever » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:21 am

Yes, but how can I know it is the right hemisphere.

It seems to me the advice "be in your right hemisphere" is of no help. As is this experience. Even if we can take her word for it ... fine, but how to get there ?

Then you are back on the spiritual path with the ancient techniques.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small