Meditation for anxiety, presentation jitters

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
intheword

Meditation for anxiety, presentation jitters

Post by intheword » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:48 am

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone on here is familiar with Paul Scheele paraliminal recordings?

I have a great job and am generally fairly happy and productive at work but I have a harsh inner critic. I got an email today from the CEO saying that next week I need to participate in an executive presentation to some investors. Instantly I felt a twinge of fear and dread. On the surface I feel as if I know enough and am articulate enough to do well, but deep down I guess there is a voice that tries to tell me I will fail.

Can anybody suggest some guided meditations to listen to to counteract the negative beliefs?

rideforever

Re: Meditation for anxiety, presentation jitters

Post by rideforever » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:37 am

They are not negative things that you have to get rid of.

They are part of you so don't make a war with them or you will do yourself an injury.

Just watch them, become very aware of them, sit in meditation and watch these things ... where do they come from, what are they wanting, what do they signify.

Are you ready to change ? Are you ready to be yourself ? Or will you prioritise your CEO over you ?
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small

Amritam

Post by Amritam » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:26 pm

intheword wrote:Hello,

I am wondering if anyone on here is familiar with Paul Scheele paraliminal recordings?

I have a great job and am generally fairly happy and productive at work but I have a harsh inner critic. I got an email today from the CEO saying that next week I need to participate in an executive presentation to some investors. Instantly I felt a twinge of fear and dread. On the surface I feel as if I know enough and am articulate enough to do well, but deep down I guess there is a voice that tries to tell me I will fail.

Can anybody suggest some guided meditations to listen to to counteract the negative beliefs?
Paul Scheele recordings are good. I have used them in the past. A Nidra yoga CD will teach your body how to deeply relax as well. Have you tried calming herbs such as valerian, chammomile and passion flower? They help to take the edge off. Rescue Remedy is great for panic.
Good luck with your presentation. I have a feeling you will do well with it.
To have a mind that is open to everything and attached to nothing.~ Tilopa

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:01 pm

intheword,

Ain't nothin' imo as effective as experience to cure stage fright.

Practice in front of ... whomever: friends, family, colleagues, etc. (Not just a mirror! That won't work nearly as well.) Not just once; several (many!) times. Not just in front of those who you feel comfortable with; once you get the hang of it (with friends), move to a tougher, more critical audience. Do it until it feels like second nature, so that if you get momentarily confused/nervous (and you will), you can recover seamlessly, so that from the audience point of view, you intended all along to say exactly what you said.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Amritam

Post by Amritam » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:56 pm

Just wondering about you intheword. Did you give your presentation? I hope it went well for you.
To have a mind that is open to everything and attached to nothing.~ Tilopa

Elmer

Post by Elmer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:50 pm

Hi Intheword,
For anxiety medication, get organize and do practice yoga or start mild exercises or regular basis. Talk with your friends and family members and share your problems with them. Drink more water than routine, watch what you eat and take multivitamins if you don't eat well. Avoid alcohol, smoking and other stimulants, try not to worry and accept the things you cannot change.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:04 pm

I've had performance anxiety so bad that my voice and knees shook so badly it affected my communication. I took propranolol a time or to which really helped me get over it. My sensation of the anxiety on propranolol is that it gets pushed from the chest into the legs where it is manageable. After a couple uses, I learned to move the anxiety, like smoke, out through my legs and thru the bottom of my feet. Still use the technique occasionally. (Propranolol is used just once before the situation, you don't have to take it every day or anything like that; do your research and talk to your doctor, if interested).
Be present, be pleasant.