how do you experience being?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
pulgasari2012

how do you experience being?

Post by pulgasari2012 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:41 am

how do you experience being or consciousness? i tend touse these words interchangeably. what does it feeel like for you?
at one point i would imagine my consciousnness as being being my mind watching it like a person may watch a movie in a movie theatre.
but then i got to a point where i felt that this conceptual way of understanding being was impairing my ability to experience it.
now im just thinking of it as that which is left when all thoughts are removed. something thhat is almost impossible to notice.
how do you experience your awareness? do you find trying to understand it conceptually is an impairment? does it feel acertain way to you? is it even something you can notice? im interested
d in the subjective way we expperience being

kiki

Re: how do you experience being?

Post by kiki » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:38 pm

The "flavor" or "footprint" of consciousness/being is stillness and silence; even in the midst of activity, sensation, and thought there is a tangible background of stillness and silence.

I think that it is common to miss this silence and stillness when you are focused on trying to understand it because attention is directed outwardly onto the conceptual, but that silence and stillness is still present even then. When you stop everything there "it" is, and as you do this more and more you begin to notice that "it" is present all the time.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

arel

Post by arel » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:17 pm

My take:
Space where everything is seen.
Silence where everything is heard.
Present moment where thoughts appear.
Knowing where bodily feelings are found.
That which we refer to as "I".
What I say is only my viewpoint.

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:10 pm

A gut feeling of vitality and is-ness.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

the key master

Post by the key master » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:34 pm

pulgasari2012 wrote:how do you experience being or consciousness? i tend touse these words interchangeably. what does it feeel like for you?
Perhaps we could put it like this. Awareness is more fundamental than anything appearing in awareness. Thus, what is aware of feeling doesn't feel like anything. It is 'prior to' feeling, present during feeling, and not dependent on anything being felt to be what its always been.

Yet, there is this slab of meat appearing in awareness that can feel things, from emotional energy, to physical pain, to the morning sun beating through the clouds on a chilly winter morning. So we could say, awareness is being human, but at the same time, its also being everything else. By questioning the belief structure which seems to 'confine awareness' to a particular body mind, a particular appearance, you unbecome bound. The appearance in awareness that feels a certain way was never what you are, were, could be.
at one point i would imagine my consciousnness as being being my mind watching it like a person may watch a movie in a movie theatre.
but then i got to a point where i felt that this conceptual way of understanding being was impairing my ability to experience it.
now im just thinking of it as that which is left when all thoughts are removed. something thhat is almost impossible to notice.
how do you experience your awareness? do you find trying to understand it conceptually is an impairment?
Unconditional peace is a peace which surpasses conceptual understanding. It isn't the product of understanding anything because it isn't dependent on understanding. That peace is already here, and you already are that peace. What is beyond thought altogether is something which can't be thought of, implicitly. You are only capable of imagining what you are capable of imagining, and as such, we sometimes say there isn't anything to understand about what your understanding appears to.

Mind going into 'witness mode' is the result of mind projecting an identity outside of itself as if 'it' could possibly be the one watching itself, which can only happen unconsciously. What notices mind cannot be noticed by mind, although we sometimes talk about mind 'noticing things' or itself as a way of speaking. That which notices you, your form, that person thang, already transcends the person. The individual doesn't experience 'that' as much as 'that' experiences the individual. Or it might point closer to say, the experience of being a separate person is fundamentally imaginary, and seeing through what we imagine to be actual is Self realization.

I wouldn't say understanding awareness on the conceptual level is important at all, as the pointers themselves are pointing to something beyond the concepts. I would say understanding the nature of experience, OTOH, can be incredibly fruitful, as well as the mechanics of thought and how minds move. Freedom is experienced as an absence stemming from a process of subtraction. If freedom is something that's been added on to you its also something which can be taken away. Freedom conditioned on maintaining anything, like a mind state of no thought, is far from untouchable, because its dependent on the dream or something appearing in the dream being a certain way to be freedom. You aren't the mind which could be still or in movement in the first place.
does it feel acertain way to you? is it even something you can notice? im interested
d in the subjective way we expperience being
I haven't been able to notice what notices me, ever. I'd be curious to hear someone else explain how that's even possible. All experience is dualistic, or we could say, there is an implied split between subject and object when we talk about personally experiencing anything. There aren't separate awareness experiences and personal experiences spanning the temporal plane. You can't experience awareness in time or space because time and space are imaginary. You can imagine you are experiencing awareness as a separate person, and then see that experience for what it is. Whatever is being done or not done in the presence and absence of those experiences might be something worth noticing.

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:34 pm

pulgasari2012 wrote:how do you experience being or consciousness?
Look at you. Move your attention to what it feels like to be you.

It's simple--it only gets complicated when we use abstract terms like awareness or consciousness or space or silence. It is just you.

SandyJoy

Post by SandyJoy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:33 pm

It feels like a gentle abiding Holy Comforter that enwraps you softly and let's you rest peacefully, like a child, gently held and loved in It.

It's this soft place that holds us even while we are bouncing along in this world and going through 'rough water'--- it provides the ballast, the stable ground, it gives us the ability to navigate, or agility, humor to ride the waves with a bit more joy and less fear.

It's softly always with us, no matter where you go, or what you do, It is this constant, kind, generous, understanding companion and friend.

It is deep and Present and it adds many profound dimensions to your world. It holds us and keeps us close. It is a stillness and a silence, but It speaks to us, It is a guide showing us the way, if we listen, if we hear, It takes us aright along our path and makes us better people.

It never leaves or forsakes us. We can rest, we can let go, we stop struggling, we are Home---Yes, yes, It is a feeling of sweet relief---and deep breath filled with peace---it feels as if we have come Home, but yet, when we find we have returned, it is revealed that, in fact we never left--- and all is well.
You are not finished, until you play in that meadow and live there. You can, you know. But only you can take yourself there.

the key master

Post by the key master » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:22 pm

karmarider wrote:

Isn't what you feel like the feeling of being a person? Even the feeling of being connected to the universe is still the feeling of being something separate connected to everything else. I guess my point goes to the original question, and not so much to your reply, in only that a person doesn't experience that which is more fundamental than experience. The question is misconceived to begin with.

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:23 am

the key master wrote:
karmarider wrote:

Isn't what you feel like the feeling of being a person?
Yes, it is. In my experience, it has not been necessary to take the person out of the loop. The ego/person actually cannot be looked at, as it does not exist. It is only thoughts and beliefs. So to "look at you" is to look at the underlying sense of existence.

the key master

Post by the key master » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:53 am

karmarider wrote:

Yes, it is. In my experience, it has not been necessary to take the person out of the loop.
Then you said,
The ego/person actually cannot be looked at, as it does not exist. It is only thoughts and beliefs.
Whose experience are you talking about then, and how is it relevant to the discussion?
So to "look at you" is to look at the underlying sense of existence.
Who or what is looking at you and what exactly is being looked at? Is existence looking at itself? If someone is under the delusion of being a separate person, isn't 'what's being looked at' what they are not? Maybe look at what you are not is a better pointer...

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:07 am

Can the eye see itself? No. Similarly, unmanifested Self (Being) cannot be known. However, the reflection of an eye can be seen in a mirror (although this reflection is not the real thing, but simply a reflection, which may or may not be entirely accurate). Similarly there can be a reflection or essence of Self in a sattvic (or still) mind. To me, this essence feels like stillness, silence, vastness and peace (or contentment or a sense of well-being).

Marcel Franke

Post by Marcel Franke » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:11 pm

It is this very experience itself.
---ooOoo---

rideforever

Post by rideforever » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:12 pm

runstrails wrote:Can the eye see itself? No. Similarly, unmanifested Self (Being) cannot be known. However, the reflection of an eye can be seen in a mirror (although this reflection is not the real thing, but simply a reflection, which may or may not be entirely accurate). Similarly there can be a reflection or essence of Self in a sattvic (or still) mind. To me, this essence feels like stillness, silence, vastness and peace (or contentment or a sense of well-being).
Whether the Self can be known ? It is known through the acceptance of it isn't it ? It's not just a 'reflection'. It is becoming the Self.

I have also heard that as phenomena arise they are surrendered. And as you move to completion there is no gap between arising and surrendering, you become a vehicle for the source, surrendering your existence.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small