Qualities of Enlightened People

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Sharing

Qualities of Enlightened People

Post by Sharing » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:23 pm

Are there any qualities one has or gets after enlightenment?

runstrails

Re: Qualities of Enlightened People

Post by runstrails » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:04 pm

After enlightenment your identity (or point of view) is more as self-aware reality than as the 'person' (or ego) who you thought you were. The biggest change is, therefore, a freedom from suffering (through the intense ups and downs of life). Other than that, your personality remains quite similar to before, more peaceful perhaps, or perhaps more energetic since there is more freedom and less fear.

BTW, Welcome to the forum, Sharing.

Sharing

Post by Sharing » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:19 pm

Thanks

They don't become more loving, caring, compassionate?

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:47 pm

Well, there are many compassionate people who are not enlightened and there are many enlightened gurus with grouchy personalities!

However, knowledge of your true nature (i.e., enlightenment by my definition) allows you to see the whole picture. That you are not a small, isolated, fearful person suffering in this vast cosmos, but rather that you are the vast awareness or reality within which this cosmos is happening. With this realization, comes an appreciation of the whole and compassion for everything that constitutes the whole.

Sharing

Post by Sharing » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:17 pm

What kind are you?

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:04 pm

I've described my experience above. It's one take. I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences.

DavidB

Post by DavidB » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:47 am

In my experience, I am much more aware of my thoughts and my emotions a majority of the time. This enables me to step back from my thoughts and emotions and evaluate situations from a still and silent perspective, like being in the eye of the storm.

Overwhelming emotional states like irritability for example, will still arise from time to time, for whatever reason, but dissociating a personal sense of self from the emotional state allows me to be present in that experience and therefore not project that irritability outward in an unconscious attempt to find something to blame or criticize for that emotion.

This makes human life much less disruptive and therefore much lighter, and dare I say, much more pleasant. :)
They don't become more loving, caring, compassionate?
To be present is all of these.

It is loving and caring and compassionate for me to own my irritability, instead of projecting it out onto somebody else and blaming them for the irritability or lashing out in anger for example.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

rideforever

Post by rideforever » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:26 pm

runstrails wrote:a freedom from suffering ... your personality remains quite similar to before
- clearly these are the words of someone who has not reached

By all accounts your personality no longer exists because your personality is your suffering. In its place is existence itself.

The end of suffering is smaller than reaching reality. This is a Buddhist mistake.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:35 pm

rideforever wrote:
The end of suffering is smaller than reaching reality.
There is nowhere to reach. You already are. You just need to see this.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:42 pm

rideforever wrote:By all accounts your personality no longer exists because your personality is your suffering. In its place is existence itself.
Interesting take. So all those teachers we read and listen to, to the extent they have no suffering, have no personality? ET is identical Adja? Any apparent distinction is simply what may be left of their suffering? What about aspects of love, and joy, and humor? What about the uniqueness of individual life experience - cultural, environmental, etc.? These are not components of personality?

WW

treasuretheday

Post by treasuretheday » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:13 pm

Sharing wrote:They don't become more loving, caring, compassionate?
Seems to me that all the emptying out is only for the sake of a great outpouring. The more full of my"self" I am, the less space there is for love to find a home. It follows that loving, caring & compassion would flourish within a spacious, open, allowing presence. When the layers & baggage of attachment & conditioning fall away- loving, divine essence is no longer obscured; the love that has always been there is revealed.
Life itself is the proper binge.
-Julia Child

Sharing

Post by Sharing » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:06 pm

Are enlightened peoples thoughts more powerful at creating reality?

treasuretheday

Post by treasuretheday » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:01 pm

You ask a lot of questions, Sharing. :D

Seems to me we're all pretty powerful at creating our own reality. The thought, "It's useless, I'm doomed!" is no doubt as powerful as, "Everything is working out just as it should." Maybe "enlightened people" are more inclined to think the latter? But there is surely power in both approaches. One might also think, "Nothing I do makes any difference. Why bother? Might as well drift along." While another thinks, "I'll make these steps toward this goal then life will take me where I'm meant to go," with a career, relationship, plan, whatever. The first person has given up & has no sense of power within or without. The second has a sense of personal power and an awareness that there is energy flowing & guiding everything (God, Source, the Universe, Mother Nature, Life...). They feel connected with and surrender to that energy when it comes to the outcome of their actions & thoughts. Again, maybe the second person is "enlightened." Both people are exercising power. Both will witness consequences that unfold as a result of their process/world view/approach.

What do you think, Sharing? :?:
Life itself is the proper binge.
-Julia Child

rideforever

Post by rideforever » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:56 pm

Sharing wrote:Are there any qualities one has or gets after enlightenment?
Yes, there is only one quality.

That you don't exist.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:28 pm

rideforever wrote:
Sharing wrote:Are there any qualities one has or gets after enlightenment?
Yes, there is only one quality.

That you don't exist.
Are you enlightened?

Could anyone actually know they don't exist?

Who would be the knower?

WW