Hidden true desires

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
HandfullaMinerals

Hidden true desires

Post by HandfullaMinerals » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:06 pm

Hi all,

I just want to type a little about something I touched on a while ago, but it's reappeared so it took my interest.

I was thinking, how when you have a motive to do something, and if you think about it afterwards and your mind starts chewing on it, and saying well maybe it was this, or that, or the other. It got me thinking how there may be hidden agendas of the mind at play. For example, it may be you get a novel, then you read it, you think you enjoy it. Then you lose interest once you've read it. Then you think well, maybe I just wanted to appear hip/cultured/whatever.

And that that itself was the reason at the time you wanted that novel.

And then it got me thinking, don't I have a hidden desire/thought that is hiding behind what I'm thinking right now. Because if it's there, I sure as hell can't see it.

**footnote** And if there is a thought that hides behind what I'm thinking right now, does it, by the very nature of thoughts that have themselves a backing of hidden desires, also have a further layer of desire.

-HM
It is the ego which raises difficulties, creating obstacles and then suffers from the perplexity of apparent paradoxes. Find out who makes the enquiries and the Self will be found.

ZenDrumming

Re: Hidden true desires

Post by ZenDrumming » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:39 pm

I think so, yeah. It's good to stop once and a while and think "what if I don't do this?" In the example you used, you could be holding the book in the bookstore and saying "what if I don't buy this?" And if you really listen you can hear the part of you that is convincing you to buy it, and the motivation underneath.

The point, as I see it, is to undercut the whole play of convincing and just do what feels right. Because you're never gonna know which voice to listen to, and the "right" things don't need convincing.

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:46 am

Recognise that you can do no wrong, that all things will be by perspective in a moment, of course the 'disinterest' has set in - desire dissipated once you've read (had the experience of) a novel... the curiosity of what it might contain, offer in experience etc was unknown before you read (experienced it from your own perspective as a reader).

There are myriad offshoots to your question Handfulla....
it took my interest
and that's okay too! It's okay to explore, it's okay to share, it's okay to ignore, it's okay to interact, it's okay to experience - that's what we're here for.

There is never just 'one' answer, there are all the possibilities expressed, and they're all okay, we learn by the expressing - by selecting and experiencing. Sating curiosity of desire by experience is no different to sating hunger by eating, or thirst by drinking.
And if there is a thought that hides behind what I'm thinking right now, does it, by the very nature of thoughts that have themselves a backing of hidden desires, also have a further layer of desire.
It's called creation... we create our experiences, by our choices of expression of every thing that is possible to experience, by our perspective and what we put attention (at tension) to.

No choice is wrong, it just brings a different experience; and experience, and life is multi-dimensional... why would desires be any different :wink:
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:16 am

HandfullaMinerals wrote:And then it got me thinking, don't I have a hidden desire/thought that is hiding behind what I'm thinking right now. Because if it's there, I sure as hell can't see it.
Very observant, HfM.

Every thought comes from love or from fear.

arel

Post by arel » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:12 pm

karmarider wrote:
HandfullaMinerals wrote:And then it got me thinking, don't I have a hidden desire/thought that is hiding behind what I'm thinking right now. Because if it's there, I sure as hell can't see it.
Very observant, HfM.

Every thought comes from love or from fear.
Simple and true. Also love and fear come from Now. What is this Now?
What I say is only my viewpoint.