The Divided Brain

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
treasuretheday

Re: The Divided Brain

Post by treasuretheday » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:32 pm

Jesus wrote:Now let's not pick only what we like from Jesus. Lot of new agers love taking one or two little Jesus sayings and none of the rest. Isn't that true?
I think it is you who is cherry picking, Jesus! All roads lead back to greed for you it appears, or they are not worth traveling, in your estimation.
Clearly, Jesus our Lord and Christ, had other fish to fry. Surely a man of your caliber and intellect would not be happy to remain a one-trick pony either.

The quote selected from a noncanonical text, the Gospel of Thomas, was applicable to Sandy's point. Pertinent and relevant to the subject at hand, to add more would have only risked muddying the waters, been superfluous.
Jesus wrote:Why do you only use alittle of Jesus words and throw the rest away? Is it because Jesus true treachings are to hard for you to live?
I would not assume, given the context of a discussion forum, where brevity and clarity are real concerns, that anyone is throwing anything away if they don't copy and paste every thought attributed to Jesus into their posts.

I also would challenge your boldness (and carelessness) in assuming how difficult or easy life is for anyone else, or with what degree of sincerity, commitment or devotion they pursue their spiritual path.
Life itself is the proper binge.
-Julia Child

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:39 pm

treasuretheday wrote:
Jesus wrote:Now let's not pick only what we like from Jesus. Lot of new agers love taking one or two little Jesus sayings and none of the rest. Isn't that true?
I think it is you who is cherry picking, Jesus! All roads lead back to greed for you it appears, or they are not worth traveling, in your estimation.
Clearly, Jesus our Lord and Christ, had other fish to fry. Surely a man of your caliber and intellect would not be happy to remain a one-trick pony either.

The quote selected from a noncanonical text, the Gospel of Thomas, was applicable to Sandy's point. Pertinent and relevant to the subject at hand, to add more would have only risked muddying the waters, been superfluous.
Jesus wrote:Why do you only use alittle of Jesus words and throw the rest away? Is it because Jesus true treachings are to hard for you to live?
I would not assume, given the context of a discussion forum, where brevity and clarity are real concerns, that anyone is throwing anything away if they don't copy and paste every thought attributed to Jesus into their posts.

I also would challenge your boldness (and carelessness) in assuming how difficult or easy life is for anyone else, or with what degree of sincerity, commitment or devotion they pursue their spiritual path.
Well excuse me :)

There was some mention of challenging me, am I not allowed to return the favor? ha ha ha

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:41 pm

A little brain surgery and I'll be Enlightened! :)

Snip-snip!

Will you ask Tolle if he'll pay for my brain surgery, please?

SandyJoy

Post by SandyJoy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:49 am

Sweet Jesus!

Thank you E2be and Treasure--Such kind and lovely responses here 8)
Jesus wrote:There was some mention of challenging me, am I not allowed to return the favor? ha ha ha
Actually, I made no challenge to anyone. My post was for Ashely and there was nothing challenging about it. If you read it, you will see I care very much about Ashely.

Though, I am not averse to an honest challenge, I do feel a bit more like Ferdinand the Bull in disposition; I really am quite docile and much too lazy --so would prefer to lay about in the shade of the trees and smell the flowers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGTVRbpAuRo

Much

Yet, I am called to do what can when I can and so I do-- - Gloria in excelsis Deo---
You are not finished, until you play in that meadow and live there. You can, you know. But only you can take yourself there.

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:31 am

We all have parts of ourselves that are overly judgemental, fearful, controlling, hyper-vigilant, etc. We also have other parts to us that allow us to be open, receptive, curious, compassionate, creative, faith-based etc.

We see these vastly different parts that constitute the whole.... play out on the forum in nearly every thread discussion. :wink:

Why is there an obvious divide?

SandyJoy

Post by SandyJoy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:01 am

My guess is that it is all a matter of perspective. It may look like a divide from a limited personal sense view, but when you realize you are not 'living inside the body' then the view changes, you have a more all inclusive view that does not see it as a divide, but sees it as beauty.

An analogy might be something like standing on the rim of the Grand Canyon, you look across and think it is a huge divide and impossible to get across. Yet, if I were flying in an airplane over head, I would see it is not really a divide. I would see it as this marvelous channel that carries the waters from the high mountains down to the sea, and I's see it is totally part of the Whole vast landscape of the earth---one earth--no division.

Always when we can raise our vision, inner sense of identity, to a higher view, we get a more inclusive view. Since, in fact, we are this Expansive All Inclusive Awareness, we can actually Live from that place of seeing---not that we leave our bodies, at least not yet, not here in this time-space-arena, but that we can be wide open and directly in touch with this Living Truth, our Real Identity. But this is why I always speak of the Child, because this 'seeing' is so simple, and so natural and nothing unusual, or mystical---It's like being a little kid again, that feeling of being 'self-less' as just being without worry or fear or trying to figure things out-- You know, how kids just live spontaneously, moment to moment, unburdened by the 'adult mind set'---the adult mind set is 'set' and the Child is flexible and alive and giggles at most of what the adults think and do.

Just thought I could share that the more you insist on divided mind the further from peace you are going---not that you can ever get away from peace but we can make the trip a lot more difficult than necessary. And just as you are saying, if you think you need to fix the 'gap' then your thinking is not very positive. It is negative. It is stuck in the belief you are broken. The Positive thinking is the right track, but the positive thinking has to be rooted in the Truth, the Living Truth of Who You Are-- and so you want to fill your mind with thoughts that start with knowing you are not broken and then LIVING that Truth---because really, as Awareness no one is broken, Awareness is always here and whole and perfect and never breaks nor divides---Start there and actually Live It, trust it, step into It, it is Always You, whether you know it or not.

Much Love, Sandy Joy -- as in a little girl at the beach on a bright happy day.
You are not finished, until you play in that meadow and live there. You can, you know. But only you can take yourself there.

Enlightened2B

Post by Enlightened2B » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:37 am

Well let's see. The church was started that has become a super-power, he healed many people, he raised the dead, walked on water, flew off into heaven :) , feed thousands of people on a major budget, his words somehow even got put in red (coincidence?), there were signs and wonders as a star in heaven showed the wise men the way.

Is that enough or unbelievable?
You're talking about religion now as everything you have mentioned above are the most commonly held beliefs pertaining to Jesus based on what a book said. This is EXACTLY what Eckhart Tolle has talked against by indicating how greatly Jesus's message has been mis-interpreted by organized religion. None of it has anything to do with "spirituality" or "enlightenment".

Rose and Richard

Post by Rose and Richard » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:13 am

Hi

Taking away all detail of this and that about the two hemispheres of the the brain in it's simplicity it does indeed have two sides

1/ Side is for use here on earth = Left side = actions, organizing, calculating etc for the fulfillment of your intentions here on the earth

2/ side is what you brought here from your origin = Right side = where the real you is and where your intentions come from .. your purpose here.

We meditate or be silent to allow space for the right side to come in or open to us.

It is not about how it logically it works but it is about that knowing that resonance of knowing.
R & R
If You Do What You Always Did You Will Get What You Always Got.
http://www.roseandrichard.com

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:47 pm

Enlightened2B wrote:
Well let's see. The church was started that has become a super-power, he healed many people, he raised the dead, walked on water, flew off into heaven :) , feed thousands of people on a major budget, his words somehow even got put in red (coincidence?), there were signs and wonders as a star in heaven showed the wise men the way.

Is that enough or unbelievable?
You're talking about religion now as everything you have mentioned above are the most commonly held beliefs pertaining to Jesus based on what a book said. This is EXACTLY what Eckhart Tolle has talked against by indicating how greatly Jesus's message has been mis-interpreted by organized religion. None of it has anything to do with "spirituality" or "enlightenment". Your right, I didn't think it had anything to do with enlightenment and greed or God jokes.

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:11 pm

Rose and Richard wrote:Hi

Taking away all detail of this and that about the two hemispheres of the the brain in it's simplicity it does indeed have two sides

1/ Side is for use here on earth = Left side = actions, organizing, calculating etc for the fulfillment of your intentions here on the earth

2/ side is what you brought here from your origin = Right side = where the real you is and where your intentions come from .. your purpose here.

We meditate or be silent to allow space for the right side to come in or open to us.

It is not about how it logically it works but it is about that knowing that resonance of knowing.
R & R
Another way I would express the division in the most basic form.

The left hemisphere regulates "fear". Whilst the right hemisphere regulates "faith".

I suffer from an anxiety disorder and as a consequence have been trying to work out what is really going on experientially.

The more an anxiety sufferer tries to "control" a situation based on fear, the more anxiety is experienced....It works as a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you try and deploy any techniques like "avoidance" your left hemisphere saboteurs are at work... Micro-managing every outcome. The anxiety sufferer, tense with battling, has an innate aversion to ...letting go. He vaguely thinks that were he to do this, he would lose control over the last vestige of his will power and his house of cards would tumble.

On the other hand, If the anxiety sufferer instead doesn't try to control or battle anything and just "floats" or let's go, & becomes spontaneous & utterly accepts whatever happens...and has complete "faith" in their ability to naturally deal with any situation, not striving to overcome anything, not struggling..... the anxiety suddenly subsides.

Of course another way to express the division:

The left hemisphere is the "fighter"... Whilst the right hemisphere is the "peacemaker".

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:54 am

Ash said: Of course another way to express the division:

The left hemisphere is the "fighter"... Whilst the right hemisphere is the "peacemaker".
And another 'division' might be -
a) What is, is,
b) What the brain perceives may or may not be accurately representing (interpreting / translating) what is.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:52 pm

smiileyjen101 wrote:
Ash said: Of course another way to express the division:

And another 'division' might be -
a) What is, is,
b) What the brain perceives may or may not be accurately representing (interpreting / translating) what is.

Yes.

Right hemisphere = intuitive mind
Left hemisphere = rational mind
“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.”

― Albert Einstein
“When I examine myself and my methods of thought I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge.”

― Albert Einstein

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:23 am

That's funny Ash, I remember using that first Einstein quote a while back, in support of engaging the intuitive mind, and knowing 'which' was serving/or not our perceptions of reality.

Have you happened upon the 'Nu complexes' discovery - that flat line is not the end of brain activity, yet?

While you've 'widened' your awareness, science just very recently is 'deepening' theirs. :D
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com