Psychological Self vs. No-Self

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
rachMiel

Re: Psychological Self vs. No-Self

Post by rachMiel » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:15 pm

jimmyrich wrote:Somehow, it never made any sense that I should DUMP my now fixed ego and replace it with: THE SELF or ULTIMATE REALITY, etc. as good as all of that seems.
Well it fer sure doesn't make much sense to dump the practical self. Without a name, ID, job title, etc. how'rya gonna navigate everyday life?

It's the psychological self, I/ego that's the problem child, right? The virtual identity born of conditioning, memory, habit, projection, etc. The compelling story of ME. I've heard lots of people here and elsewhere say it, and I'll add my voice to the many: The more you get to know how I/ego works, the more you see (through) its tricks, the more you can enjoy it, play with it ... like you might enjoy a mask at a Halloween party. ;-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

jimmyrich

Post by jimmyrich » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:47 pm

rachMiel wrote: ... like you might enjoy a mask at a Halloween party. ;-)
I like that! :lol: :)

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:20 pm

rachMeil wrote:
The more you get to know how I/ego works, the more you see (through) its tricks, the more you can enjoy it
Yup. I'm constantly amazed and incredulous at my own stupidity! It better than watching TV sometimes :lol:.

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:56 pm

runstrails wrote:
rachMeil wrote:
The more you get to know how I/ego works, the more you see (through) its tricks, the more you can enjoy it
Yup. I'm constantly amazed and incredulous at my own stupidity! It better than watching TV sometimes :lol:.
Yes! These days when I'm bothered by something I get kind of excited because I can sit back and watch the drama play itself out in my mind, see the memories and reflexes arise and interact, observe the creation of the story -- Woe is ME! -- and how it eventually falls apart. It's like watching your own internal movie write itself and play itself out in the theater of mind.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...