Do quite a few of these apply to you?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
anewmirth

Do quite a few of these apply to you?

Post by anewmirth » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:05 am

1. A sense of having a specific mission or purpose involving a major transformation in human experience, but being unable to articulate what this change might be.
2. A strong sense that the mission, whatever it is, is getting closer in time.
3. A compulsion to master certain fields, skills, or professions, not only for career advancement, but in preparation for this half-understood personal mission.
4. High levels of empathy; a sense of feeling what others feel.
5. An urgent desire to lessen or prevent suffering for humans, animals, or even plants.
6. Loneliness stemming from a sense of difference, despite generally high levels of social activity. One woman summed up this feeling perfectly when she said, "Everybody likes me, but nobody's like me."
7. High creativity; passion for music, poetry, performance, or visual arts.
8. An intense love of animals, sometimes a desire to communicate with them.
9. Difficult early life, often with a history of abuse or childhood trauma.
10. Intense connection to certain types of natural environment, such as the ocean, mountains, or forest.
11. Resistance to orthodox religiosity, paradoxically accompanied by a strong sense of either spiritual purpose or spiritual yearning.
12. Love of plants and gardening, to the point of feeling empty or depressed without the chance to be among green things and/or help them grow.
13. Very high emotional sensitivity, often leading to predilections for anxiety, addiction, or eating disorders.
14. Sense of intense connection with certain cultures, languages, or geographic regions.
15. Disability, often brain-centered (dyslexia and autism), in oneself or a loved one. Fascination with people who have intellectual disabilities or mental illness.
16. Apparently gregarious personality contrasting with deep need for periods of solitude; a sense of being drained by social contact and withdrawing to "power up" again.
17. Persistent or recurring physical illness, often severe, with symptoms that fluctuated inexplicably.
18. Daydreams (or night dreams) about healing damaged people, creatures, or places.

Then you are part of a group of souls that have come here to help bring the New Earth. Thank you! :D

I found these in a book called "Finding Your Way In A Wild New World (Four steps to fulfilling your true calling)" by Martha Beck. She is an Eckhart Tolle fan too (and Jill Bolte Taylor).

magicbutterfly

Re: Do quite a few of these apply to you?

Post by magicbutterfly » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:22 am

Sounds like an interesting book - will check it out.
7/18 - do I qualify? :D
"As soon as you honor the present moment, all unhappiness and struggle dissolve, and life begins to flow with joy and ease." Ekhart Tolle, The Power of Now

jimmyrich

Post by jimmyrich » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:53 am

anewmirth wrote:1. A sense of having a specific mission or purpose involving a major transformation in human experience, but being unable to articulate what this change might be.
To me that smacks of early childhood emotional damages from dysfunctional parenting which causes the victim to look for something to fill in the emotional gaps of a bad childhood.
4. High levels of empathy; a sense of feeling what others feel.
IMO, that is a byproduct of Codependency where a damaged person is extremely in tune with the person they DEPEND on for emotional support and validation. Damaged people tend to be either very sensitive or very insensitive or both.
5. An urgent desire to lessen or prevent suffering for humans, animals, or even plants.
That is definitely one of the byproducts of bad parenting which sets up the victim to be Codependent and enter the "helping" professions.
6. Loneliness stemming from a sense of difference, despite generally high levels of social activity. One woman summed up this feeling perfectly when she said, "Everybody likes me, but nobody's like me."
Just another byproduct of damaging parenting, IMO.
8. An intense love of animals, sometimes a desire to communicate with them.
When a child is abused by adults, they can turn to animals for comfort and friendship - that's what I did!
9. Difficult early life, often with a history of abuse or childhood trauma.
Yep!
11. Resistance to orthodox religiosity, paradoxically accompanied by a strong sense of either spiritual purpose or spiritual yearning.
Many people were damaged by "religious" parents - themselves victims of bad parenting and emotional damage.
12. Love of plants and gardening, to the point of feeling empty or depressed without the chance to be among green things and/or help them grow.

Being emotionally damaged can cause someone to turn to things such as plants & gardening for emotional support and comfort.
13. Very high emotional sensitivity, often leading to predilections for anxiety, addiction, or eating disorders.
Yes, due to early childhood trauma.
15. Disability, often brain-centered (dyslexia and autism), in oneself or a loved one. Fascination with people who have intellectual disabilities or mental illness.
Being mentally damaged could draw someone to similar people.
16. Apparently gregarious personality contrasting with deep need for periods of solitude; a sense of being drained by social contact and withdrawing to "power up" again.
Yes, a very good description of Codependency.
17. Persistent or recurring physical illness, often severe, with symptoms that fluctuated inexplicably.
I'd call that the symptoms of PTSD where the victim is holding in painful feelings from long ago.
18. Daydreams (or night dreams) about healing damaged people, creatures, or places.
:lol: It takes one to know one! The repressed and bottled up feelings cause these "dreams" as a way for the unresolved feelings to come up and be healed or vented.
Then you are part of a group of souls that have come here to help bring the New Earth.
Or just another damaged child who is still living in Denial and putting off your own healing until it finally overwhelms you.
It's up to each of us to see and understand what motivates us and it seems that seeing and facing one's inner demons is just about the hardest and most painful job that anyone can tackle. But when our unhealed and unresolved stuff kicks us in the butt, some of us just might deal with it in addition to following the teachings in that book.
:)

Kae

Post by Kae » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:46 pm

That's probably a 90% YES for me...

Is the book similar to the ones about the Indigo Children and the ones about Highly Sensitive Persons? Sounds very similar...

To whom does it speak?
Pura Visio, Pectus Apertum, Pax Interi

anewmirth

Post by anewmirth » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:57 pm

Firstly I should say that anyone who has a desire to help bring the New Earth is obviously helping to do so! Kae, I've read a little from those kinds of books and I'm sure there are many similarities, but this book is really aimed at people of all ages who are looking for their calling. Maybe they are in an job or life situation that doesn't reflect at all who they really are. The author points out that old jobs such as the typical office job will be wiped out in the tidal wave of change that is beginning to sweep through and the book suggests ways to help bring the right people and circumstances into your life to help you develop. It talks about being a 'wayfinder' and being of service to others in the way that is particular to you and being able to make a living at the same time. I haven't done it justice in covering off on everything in the book. I'm not trying to get a commission from the publishers :lol: It was just a really important book for me and I thought that it would touch others in the same way. I've read from a number of people who have contributed here who tick off on quite a few of these points above. People trying to make sense of their chronic illness and sense of what am I doing here?! People seeing the old ways crumble around them and wondering what's next? There is a real focus on being in the present moment of course.

kutto

Post by kutto » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:54 pm

When I saw this post yesterday I think I counted about 14 of the 18 strongly. At the time I also remember thinking - yes - but they are also essentially classic 'symptoms' of that childhood trauma - and yet - and yet....

For several months now my life has been releasing many things I have previously held as 'important' and I think a lot about a purpose in the future and role that is a bit 'non current mainstream' and is deeply spiritual - ways of community living come to mind.

Anyway, when I got home yesterday since I had just finished the last book on my Kindle and has been wondering what to read next I bought this book and started reading.

I have not read far but essentially I remember thinking - yep this is right on the money as far as the type of 'message' I was instinctively expecting. From my (limited) reading so far I think it would appeal deeply to people who are in tune with Tolles work in that it talks initially about returning to a wordlessness - a quiet unified consciouness that has many traditional roots and themes along natural harmony and deep environmental restoration.

Then today I saw Jimmy's post on the 'symptoms' and the thing is for me both sets of experiences ring very true.

Correlation does not necessarily imply causation though.

I will say this too - over the past year I wake about 2-3 times per month (not from a dream) with a very deep feeling of love and above all a sense of a plan. I cannot give you any detail except to say it feels like 'ah yes - thats what we are doing' It lasts only about 4-5 seconds but the feeling of an intent is palpable but non specific. Feels like a nice plan though....

Proves nothing in itself- but totally there with the 'plan thing' and from direct experience of a sense of purpose not just a vague - wouldn't that be nice.

Whats wonderful about spirituality though is you take what resonates and leave the rest (which often resonates later anyway). My word - has spirituality help me recover from severe mental illness by giving me a space and a set of very open and adaptable principles I just would not get from 'classic' therapy.

Kae

Post by Kae » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:18 pm

anewmirth wrote:... this book is really aimed at people of all ages who are looking for their calling. Maybe they are in an job or life situation that doesn't reflect at all who they really are. The author points out that old jobs such as the typical office job will be wiped out in the tidal wave of change that is beginning to sweep through and the book suggests ways to help bring the right people and circumstances into your life to help you develop. It talks about being a 'wayfinder' and being of service to others in the way that is particular to you and being able to make a living at the same time.
I find this passage interesting. When I read the title of the book you suggest I paused and thought: "I feel like I'm always seeing and reading books that promise you finding a 'purpose' or a 'calling' or 'what to really do with your life'". A very good case in point is Eckhart Tolle's book A New Earth, that has the under-title Awakening to Your Life's Purpose. Although this book helps immensely in dealing with emotional issues and addresses spiritual questions, it didn't clarify at all "what I should be doing with my life" - and I mean in terms of work, since it's helped a lot in terms of emotional/spiritual issues.

So I would ask, since we're talking about this particular book: Does this one do that?

anewmirth

Post by anewmirth » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:34 am

kutto wrote:So I would ask, since we're talking about this particular book: Does this one do that?
Hi Kae,
Yes point taken. I don’t normally go for books written by “Life Coaches” and the author herself is clearly not very fond of the term. You’re right that ET’s approach to “awakening to your life’s purpose” is about transcending the illusion rather than finding a niche within the illusion. Or rather ET suggests that when you take care of the inner purpose, the outer purpose will take care of itself. But this book does offer quite specific suggestions for finding what it is that you can personally offer (that can also help to create a better world) and how to advertise yourself authentically and effectively if you wish.
When I think now of things which stood out for me I think of:
Being amazed at how many of the points I mentioned previously related to me. Feeling understood.
Observations about how the old ways are crumbling and new ways opening up which people like us will thrive in rather than being stifled in.
Being able to help others out their hells through me having come out of a similar hell and incorporating creative approaches that I’m passionate about and want to improve my skills in. And ideas about making a living out of this.
Interesting observations about the importance of authenticity, play, the creative process, animals and the natural world, solving puzzles (“problems”) in your life and service to others.
Understanding that visualisation and manifesting are important but also understanding that you only manifest what “wants” to be manifested. Not trying to manifest superficial things. Tapping into the greater scheme to unfold what it is that you can offer.
A real interest in different tribal societies and how their “magic” tends to be essentially similar and being based on universal spiritual principals such as quietening the mind. Seeing this “magic” bring results in your life.
Respect for ET and his teachings as a foundation for the message in this book.
That’s all I can think of right now, but if I had of just finished the book I know that there would be more things to mention. I’ve just started reading it again recently. A friend of mine was completely blown away by how deeply the points above resonated with him and it prompted me to go back and read it again.

Kae

Post by Kae » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:33 pm

Alright. That definitely sounds interesting :)

Kae

Post by Kae » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:33 pm

There seem to be to different versions of this book:

Finding Your Way in a Wild New World: Reclaim Your True Nature to Create the Life You Want

and

Finding Your Way In A Wild New World: Four steps to fulfilling your true calling.

Do you know the difference?

anewmirth

Post by anewmirth » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:14 pm

I can't seem to find a difference. I can verify what is on a certain page if you want to check.