'Negative' Emotions

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

'Negative' Emotions

Postby sloth » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:41 pm

Sometimes it seems anger is appropriate to a situation (what is 'appropriate'?). Maybe you are dealing with a naughty child, or maybe you are silencing an obnoxious drunk or perhaps you are trying to detain someone who is violent and aggressive. Sometimes, of course, you can deal with situations without anger, I remember beating a dog that was attacking mine about a year ago so I could pull it off but I did not feel angry. Nor did I even have a go at the owner, I was just protecting my own dog. And yet I felt like I dealt with a situation in a ruthlessly calm/detached/calculating, yet the most efficient manner. I enjoy the sense of Machiavellian heroism that accompanies this (twisted means to a positive outcome), I get the feeling when I watch Dexter, because he uses violence in an efficient manner to deter and eliminate other serial killers. It is anger/hatred channelled in a positive direction. But his weakness is that he is dependent on the lust for blood that swallows him up, and he is so determined to catch a serial killer, something that becomes a personal quest for vengeance, that he puts his family in danger.

It seems anger can be used to deal with and control thoughts and emotions as well as these situations. There are a lot of pacifist/hippy type yoga instructors who talk about being 'calm' and 'relaxed', man, and then they have a smoke of weed or something. It is as if they are not truly acknowledging the bigger picture by trying to portray this airy-fairy, unrealistic caricature of life. I would say that when we 'observe' our thoughts and emotions although we should not think of them as positive and negative, it seems that we do indeed need to label them, or 'judge' them in some manner? How should we think of these thoughts? Oh, that is 'functional', that is 'dysfunctional', etc. Or are thoughts perhaps judged by the position they take in the ego's goals and ambitions? But then what the ego wants is irrelevant to the nature of the true self, so there is another paradox here.
sloth

Return to General Discussion