On a World Where Everything Is Free

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
treasuretheday

Re: On a World Where Everything Is Free

Post by treasuretheday » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:39 pm

I would also like to offer thanks, and kudos....

A big thank you to Kutto, for creating this space and graciously allowing ideas beyond the original intention to be contained within it.

Thank you to the moderators, for letting this discourse unfold! I know we ventured perilously close to political territory, which is a no-no.

Thanks and kudos to Jen and Kathleen for articulating your visions with clarity, passion and determination! I sincerely admire your conviction, ladies, and while like Sandy, I do not share your dreams, I would defend your freedom to express and live them out as individuals, with my life.

And Sandy, good morning, citizen! I salute you, my dear, fellow square peg! It's not hip to be square, and there is nothing more square in certain circles (this forum probably among them) than defending the merits of capitalism! 'Capitalist' is often regarded as a dirty word, and prefaced by another word---greedy! Thank you, Sandy, for your inspiration and courage. Our shared love of these principles brings lyrics from a James Taylor song to mind:

...with a tear in your eye for the Fourth of July
For the Patriots, and the Minutemen,
And the things you believe they believed in then.
Such as Freedom...Freedom's land. The Kingdom of God and the RIghts of Man.

I have a tear in my eye this morning as I consider how wonderful it is that we had this conversation. These are important, and difficult ideas to wrestle with and I am proud of us for doing so! Often in the public square, differences of opinion around these issues result in frustrating debates that yield more heat than light.

Thanks, everyone, for the respectful and enlightening experience.
Life itself is the proper binge.
-Julia Child

KathleenBrugger

Post by KathleenBrugger » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:30 pm

What a beautiful ending to this debate, and it is a testament to this forum that we could disagree so completely and yet maintain civility. What linked our posts, I think, was that we were all sharing our vision of a higher truth and love, and it's because of this that we can agree to disagree.
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:33 am

Treasure said: I have a tear in my eye this morning as I consider how wonderful it is that we had this conversation. These are important, and difficult ideas to wrestle with and I am proud of us for doing so! Often in the public square, differences of opinion around these issues result in frustrating debates that yield more heat than light.

Thanks, everyone, for the respectful and enlightening experience.
Namaste Treasure

Often in the yarning circles :wink: these things just arise and discussed, passionately yes, (omg yes!!) but when fear has no place, when love is the fire in the middle of the circle, personally not so much, all things flow into the wheel of life.

I know I am blessed to know this and I hope others here take my contributions with that understanding.
Kathleen said: What a beautiful ending ....
:wink: There is no ending in a circle :lol:

Once sparked, the flames of love grow higher and higher :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwSKkKrUzUk

^^^^ goosebumps and tears of joy and love and grace and wonder :D :D
The circle of life, an experience.

Compare the above to the below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQyx2PWyC2I

both incredibly beautiful :D
Last edited by smiileyjen101 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen

KathleenBrugger

Post by KathleenBrugger » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:44 am

smiileyjen101 wrote:
Kathleen said: What a beautiful ending ....
:wink: There is no ending in a circle :lol:
I like that! Yes...ascending spirals of love...

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:58 am

:D
Mufasa: "Everything you see exists together in a delicate balance. As king, you need to understand that balance and respect all the creatures, from the crawling ant to the leaping antelope."
Young Simba: "But, Dad, don't we eat the antelope?"
Mufasa: "Yes, Simba, but let me explain. When we die, our bodies become the grass, and the antelope eat the grass. And so we are all connected in the great Circle of Life."
—Mufasa teaching Simba about the great Circle of Life
Let's keep the fun going :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6vLAa-kylM
Hakuna Matata is a Swahili phrase that is literally translated as "There are no worries." It is sometimes translated as "no worries," although is more commonly used similarly to the American English phrase "no problem." Popularised in the song from the Lion King
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen

kutto

Post by kutto » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:19 am

To round this off I include this photo of a cabinet that my wife picked up from the side of the road as it had been put out for rubbish collection.

The shelf and door handle were missing and it was scratched quite a bit.

She sanded it, painted it, added a handle and a shelf and popped out the centre of the door panel and painted the picture that is there now.

She had it on her art stall today and it is called 'Red Roadside Pickup'

We are not in a 'free' world yet (it is for sale!! :lol:) but on someone finishing with it it has found a new life and been reborn in a beautiful and unique way...

Creation is extension and rebirth...

Simon

KathleenBrugger

Post by KathleenBrugger » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:38 pm

Kutto that cabinet is so beautiful! Where I live they call it "upcycling," where you take trash and make it useable again. There's a store in my town that specializes in this; my favorite is clocks and birdhouses made from the circuit boards of dead VCRs.

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:14 am

:D There's also Freecycle a non profit organisation that helps redistribute 'stuff', mostly so it doesn't unnecessarily create unnecessary landfill, and it's popping up in communities all over the globe.

Folks list their give away or receive for free 'stuff' on local bulletin boards - kind of like ebay without money.

http://www.freecycle.org/

KathleenBrugger

Post by KathleenBrugger » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:20 am

I read a book earlier this year called Abundance: The Future is Better Than You Think, by Peter Diamandis and Steven Kotler. Their premise is that "Humanity is entering a period of radical transformation in which technology has the potential to significantly raise the basic standards of living” for every person on Earth. “Abundance for all is actually within our grasp...Imagine a world of nine billion people with clean water, nutritious food, affordable housing, personalized education, top-tier medical care, and non-polluting, ubiquitous energy.”

They claim that within a few decades energy could be so cheap the idea of conserving energy will sound quaint: “According to the Trans-Mediterranean Renewable Energy Cooperation, an international network of scientists and experts founded by the Club of Rome, enough solar power hits one square kilometer of Africa’s deserts to produce the equivalent of one and a half million barrels of oil or three hundred thousand tons of coal. The German Aerospace Center estimates that the solar power in the deserts of North Africa is enough to supply forty times the present world energy demand."

This is the kind of transformation that could bring about a world where everything is free. :D

But since everything isn't free yet, I wanted to mention that I just realized that someone is paying for this forum. There's a thread about the forum having been down for a few hours last week, and someone mentioned that Eric is paying for this. I've noticed the "support this forum" paypal button and had thought about doing it but hadn't. But I did after reading that thread, and I plan on continuing to contribute.