Amygdala Hijack or Pain Body?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
ashley72

Amygdala Hijack or Pain Body?

Post by ashley72 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:40 pm

Eckhart Tolle calls it the Pain-Body. Daniel Goleman calls it the Amygdala hijack. It doesn't matter what you call it, it’s the same thing. It’s the Limbic system composed of the amygdala. It activates in response to real threats or imagined threats, and floods you with some emotional pain (fear, worry, anger, revenge, resentment, etc) usually putting you in the mode of fight, flight, or freeze–a very unhelpful place to be.

Goleman uses the term to describe emotional responses from people which are immediate and overwhelming, and out of measure with the actual stimulus because it has triggered a much more significant emotional threat.

The Concept

From the thalamus, a part of the stimulus goes directly to the amygdala while another part is sent to the neocortex (the "thinking brain"). If the amygdala perceives a match to the stimulus, i.e., if the record of experiences in the hippocampus tells the amygdala that it is a fight, flight or freeze situation, then the amygdala triggers the HPA (hypothalmic-pituitary-adrenal) axis and hijacks the rational brain. This emotional brain activity processes information milliseconds earlier than the rational brain, so in case of a match, the amygdala acts before any possible direction from the neocortex can be received. If, however, the amygdala does not find any match to the stimulus received with its recorded threatening situations, then it acts according to the directions received from the neo-cortex. When the amygdala perceives a threat, it can lead that person to react irrationally and destructively.

Road Rage is an example of the Pain-body or Amygdala Hijack.

Tolle's Pain-body Concept

There is such a thing as old emotional pain living inside you. It is an accumulation of painful life experience that was not fully faced and accepted in the moment it arose. It leaves behind an energy form of emotional pain. It comes together with other energy forms from other instances, and so after some years you have a "painbody," an energy entity consisting of old emotion.

See the similarity between Pain-body & Amygdala Hijack?

The energy entity isn't really living inside you, they are emotional memories attached to certain conditioned stimulus that trigger the Amygdala to response with the HPA axis. It circumvents the prefrontal cortex rational thought circuitry. It's the reason we can all act disproportionally & irrational sometimes.

Whilst both concepts are merely analogies or mappings of what's going on inside our brain & nervous system... I know what analogy I would apply for treatment purposes! :wink:

Innerji

Re: Amygdala Hijack or Pain Body?

Post by Innerji » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:51 am

Hiyas,

These aren't quite the same thing I feel, though I can see how they could be confused as there is a clear link.

An amygdala hijack is 'an event'. It's when our lambic system responds to a stimulus prior to us having had the opportunity to think about it rationally. Our survival mechanist reacts to save us from danger. It's an adaptive trait for prehistoric hunter-gatherers not bit for someone caught in a traffic jam...

What happens then is that we are quite likely, due to the emotional content of the amygdala hijack, to remember this as it will be a significant event. It then becomes part of out mental baggage,our karma or a component of our pain body.

The pain body itself is the aggregation of all these events along with qualitative biases that make the world a scary place and distort our perception of it.

When delving into my pain body in the earliest stages of self-enquiry I encountered many, many interwoven layers of negative emotions often supporting each other. E.g. A fear of failure might underlie the anxiety of public speaking, both of which might be supported by a belief I'm not good enough etc. etc.

So IMHO an amygdala hijack is a potential component of the pain body but not quite the same thing,

Do you think that makes sense?

kutto

Post by kutto » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:25 am

The brain is part of the vehicle - Thoughts are ultimately the driver - many thoughts though are out of conscious awareness - all thoughts steer - not just the ones that pop in to conscious awareness at the end of the deep thought chain.

Thoughts occur through the brain but are not ultimately of it. Thoughts are represented biologically but are not physical in origin. At least they are not comprised of what may be termed physical energy although any study of the brain will show the physical correlation between thought and the body/brain because by definition by that 'stage' it is already in physical representation. By definition a physical study cannot see something that is not physical.

I cannot prove anything I write here but it is what I believe completely. You are an idea. You are an idea expressing and learning of itself in a physical body.

That the amygdala has a role in the feeling of fear is clear it does not hold that it is the ultimate origin of the experience but rather it is used to express the idea of fear as experience in physical manifestation. Much as the origin of this idea you are reading is in no way linked to the rising and falling voltages in the computer cpu and screen that represent binary numbers that is then translated to words on the screen which are symbols of these ideas that your eyes take in as patterns we call words and your thoughts translate the symbols (which you assign meaning to) into ideas and concepts.

Thoughts arise from enegy potentials of which there are only two ultimately - love and it's opposite - fear - thoughts and concepts are all ultimately symbolic rearrangements of these potentials. You choose the potential and the world you create (which is actually only in your mind) is formed from these potentials - in so doing the world is continuously created anew.

Your mind is immensely powerful. You are really just here to learn what it does and how to use it ... (The idea you really are is ultimately invulnerable and completely unbreakable)

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:30 pm

Innerji wrote:Hiyas,

These aren't quite the same thing I feel, though I can see how they could be confused as there is a clear link.

An amygdala hijack is 'an event'. It's when our lambic system responds to a stimulus prior to us having had the opportunity to think about it rationally. Our survival mechanist reacts to save us from danger. It's an adaptive trait for prehistoric hunter-gatherers not bit for someone caught in a traffic jam...

What happens then is that we are quite likely, due to the emotional content of the amygdala hijack, to remember this as it will be a significant event. It then becomes part of out mental baggage,our karma or a component of our pain body.

The pain body itself is the aggregation of all these events along with qualitative biases that make the world a scary place and distort our perception of it.

When delving into my pain body in the earliest stages of self-enquiry I encountered many, many interwoven layers of negative emotions often supporting each other. E.g. A fear of failure might underlie the anxiety of public speaking, both of which might be supported by a belief I'm not good enough etc. etc.

So IMHO an amygdala hijack is a potential component of the pain body but not quite the same thing,

Do you think that makes sense?
The spread or propagation of anxiety (learned behaviours) occurs by both classical & operant conditioning. Whereas the Amygdala Hijack only explains why people lose control of judgement & rational thought during emotional reactions.