Fall asleep while being mindful?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
flick

Fall asleep while being mindful?

Post by flick » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:43 am

These days, I try 24/7 to be within the body and to have some of my focus there. However, in my attempts to do so, I make myself alert. This is difficult for sleep, because it feels like I cannot be in the body in the time before sleep. Also, right as I am truly drifting off into sleep, I have the most vivid and strange mind movies, as many people do of course. Am I doing the practice wrong? Should I just give up on doing it before sleeping? Please help :)

Also, when I focus on my inner body, I generally focus on the upper body, and not the whole body. Is this undesirable?

Daller

Re: Fall asleep while being mindful?

Post by Daller » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:23 pm

I experience exactly the same thing. Sometimes when I feel the inner body, I eventually need to go back to more unconsciousness to fall asleep. Sometimes however I don't want to fall asleep because I somehow manage to feel the inner body more intensely and then of course everything gets exciting, but then however when thoughts arises, I may cling too much to them, because I believe in them. I may get the thought: "Now I will awaken," or "this is good" when I'm feeling big sensations from inner body, but then everything just sorts of turns out and I feel ashamed to lose the opportunity to really get a "shift."

You're saying you feel the upper body. Chest and up?
I start with feeling hands, then feet and then I in a way feel it more intensely and then awareness spreads to the hands near ramification (arms) and the same with feet, where I begin to feel legs, thighs. Rarely chest. Only a sensation near solar plexus, which helped me in the past to be more rooted in the now.
"You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you."
--- James Allen

flick

Post by flick » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:08 pm

Yeah I have the exact same thoughts when I feel the inner body! "I'm making so much progress right now! How much progress exactly? What great things will I do with all this progress?"

Maybe the awareness location issue is just a matter of where you purposefully direct your mind.

Fore

Post by Fore » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:22 am

flick wrote: Am I doing the practice wrong? Should I just give up on doing it before sleeping? Please help :)
Don't go to sleep, remain fully aware/awakened. If you happen to fall asleep, no worries, continue when you wake-up.

flick

Post by flick » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:41 pm

But I need to get my 8 hours of sleep! Are you saying that eventually, the practice will lead me to fall asleep anyways?