What is Love?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
KathleenBrugger

What is Love?

Post by KathleenBrugger » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:47 am

With Valentine's Day a few days away I thought I'd ask this question. I'm sure it's been discussed many times here before, but I'll throw this out there anyway.

When you look in dictionaries, love is defined as affection, attachment, desire for sex, and/or enthusiasm for something. For example, American Heritage Dictionary:

1. A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness.
2. A feeling of intense desire and attraction toward a person with whom one is disposed to make a pair; the emotion of sex and romance.
3.a. Sexual passion, b. Sexual intercourse, c. A love affair.
4. An intense emotional attachment, as for a pet or treasured object.
5. A person who is the object of deep or intense affection or attraction; beloved. Often used as a term of endearment.
6. An expression of one’s affection.
7.a. A strong predilection or enthusiasm, b. The object of such an enthusiasm.

The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy says that it is useful to separate love into three categories: eros (romantic and sexual), philia (affection and appreciation), and agape (religious). (http://www.iep.utm.edu/love/)

I’d like to suggest a definition of love that I think covers all three of these categories:

Love is the experience of unconditional acceptance of what is. “What is” can mean a person or a thing, the way they are right now (eros and philia). Or it could mean all of reality, which is the source of universal love (agape).

In other words, we love something or someone when we accept it/him/her, and that goes from hotdogs to work to our grandmother to our lover to all that is.

Many people seem to think there are different types of love; one kind for your lover and another for your family. I think all love flows from the same source, and this love finds different expressions.

One thing I like about viewing love this way is that love is not dependent on outside circumstances. It doesn't matter what other people are doing. If my attitude is one of acceptance, I will love. It's that simple (and hard).
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/

Webwanderer

Re: What is Love?

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:38 am

I would suggest that love is most closely known through appreciation. Not gratitude, but appreciation. Feel it out. Appreciation is in equal measures a wordless sense of enjoyment, acceptance and approval. It gives the essential energy of self without expectation. Appreciation is unconditional by nature.

WW

peas

Post by peas » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:35 am

Love is a word with varying ambiguous concepts, most of which do not help awaken anybody. It is best used sparingly when speaking of consciousness. Specific usage, especially when associated with actions of a person, often result in illusion and identity. The best general usage and meaning is an outworking of pure consciousness, a flowing part of our natural being, that can neither be manufactured or controlled.

rideforever

Post by rideforever » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:13 am

What is Consciousness ?

What is Love ?

Can you distinguish them ? Do they feel different ?
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small

Fore

Post by Fore » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:46 pm

rideforever wrote:What is Consciousness ?
Contact
rideforever wrote: What is Love ?
I am
rideforever wrote: Can you distinguish them ?
No.
rideforever wrote:Do they feel different ?
I am not feeling, I am awareness of feeling/experience.

I do not love you, I am you.

rideforever

Post by rideforever » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:47 pm

Last edited by rideforever on Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small

coriolis

Post by coriolis » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:56 pm

Love is the apparent coming together of the absolute and the relative into a new union that transcends both while destroying neither.

And, being beyond language and thought by being so much closer and intimate than they can be, it's dance is stillness and it's music silence.
Look deeply inside yourself and try to find yourself.
The ensuing failure is the true finding
---- Wu Hsin

KathleenBrugger

Post by KathleenBrugger » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:43 pm

coriolis wrote:Love is the apparent coming together of the absolute and the relative into a new union that transcends both while destroying neither.

And, being beyond language and thought by being so much closer and intimate than they can be, it's dance is stillness and it's music silence.
This is really nice coriolis.

And ww, recently someone told me they thought I should add "embrace" to my definition of love; that love means not only to accept what is, but to embrace what is. For me the idea of embracing means appreciating, celebrating, perceiving the perfection of, what is.

Ride, interesting questions about consciousness and love. Are they the same? Is being in the present moment, fully in Awareness, indistinguishable from love? I'd like to hear you say more about that.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:15 pm

I asked Gary Weber about this. "Do you feel love for your family members differently than before your 'page turned?' " He said that the love he feels is not for an individual, but a kind of generic experience of universal compassion, not necessarily more for one appearance in form than another...it is unconditional.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Enlightened2B

Post by Enlightened2B » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:56 pm

Exactly what Andy posted above fits my description of 'love'. True love is unconditional. If you consider how the how world we experience can be felt as merely a projection of 'you', what else can there be but 'love'?

While there are always going to be preferences for one thing over another in life such as 'baseball' over 'football' or 'rock music' over 'classical', (as that is merely the way the human mind works), as far as actual 'love', all of those things stem from 'you'. Therefore, they share no separate source other than you, in the first place.

Perhaps a bad example, it's like saying....I love one one of my children more than the other. Both children share the same substratum physiologically which is.....'you'. Therefore, there is only equal love for 'both' and 'all things' within experience even though the qualities of both children might 'appear' to differ on an exterior level.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:10 pm

It remains a tough question, I think, and may be a kind of "test," if you will, of awakening. It seems I "love" my grandchildren more than the neighbor's kids. It also seems I am more blind to the "flaws" in my grandchildren than other kids. Maybe those distinctions will end someday.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Fore

Post by Fore » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:44 pm

Sighclone wrote: It seems I "love" my grandchildren more than the neighbor's kids. It also seems I am more blind to the "flaws" in my grandchildren than other kids. Maybe those distinctions will end someday.
Perhaps the truth is, you(thinking self) do not love your grandchildren at all, zero, zip, nada. There is simply more attachment to them over the neighbors kids, I would bet dollars to donuts that your grandchildren can cause you to suffer more than the neighbors kids.

KathleenBrugger

Post by KathleenBrugger » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:44 pm

Fore wrote:
Sighclone wrote: It seems I "love" my grandchildren more than the neighbor's kids. It also seems I am more blind to the "flaws" in my grandchildren than other kids. Maybe those distinctions will end someday.
Perhaps the truth is, you(thinking self) do not love your grandchildren at all, zero, zip, nada. There is simply more attachment to them over the neighbors kids, I would bet dollars to donuts that your grandchildren can cause you to suffer more than the neighbors kids.
This is really interesting Fore. What you're saying (I think) is what is commonly called "love" is really attachment, and isn't love at all. I think there could be a lot of truth to this. That's why "love" causes so much suffering, because it isn't Love at all. If we didn't have this kind of "love" though, the music industry would collapse--what percentage of songs are either about "love" or the end of "love"? (I'm using the quotes to denote the attachment kind of love.)

The times I have felt the unconditional, unattached, universal love it makes the other experience pale in comparison.

Clouded

Post by Clouded » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:55 pm

I feel stupid asking this, but does spirituality suggest that attachment is bad for you? You know, since it can trigger all that emotional suffering, therefore it's better to stay away from it. Because don't we need attachment (particularity in our early years from our parents) in order to develop well?
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak

Fore

Post by Fore » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:25 am

KathleenBrugger wrote: What you're saying (I think) is what is commonly called "love" is really attachment, and isn't love at all.
Corectimundo.
KathleenBrugger wrote: That's why "love" causes so much suffering, because it isn't Love at all.
I think your ready to appreciate my new line of greeting cards. "After twenty-five years of marriage, I still don't love you honey." Hallmark laughed in my face, who's laughing now Hallmark. Buahahahah!
KathleenBrugger wrote: If we didn't have this kind of "love" though, the music industry would collapse--
I think it will be around for some time, don't go selling your stock in I-tunes to quickly. :wink:
KathleenBrugger wrote: The times I have felt the unconditional, unattached, universal love it makes the other experience pale in comparison.
Who felt the unconditional?