Tool – Parabola

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Tool – Parabola

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Fri May 02, 2014 5:16 pm

As I mentioned in a previous post, I recently realised a favourite band from my teenage years had lyrics leaden with seemingly experiential accounts of mystical awakening. It’s beautiful to see this now, as I begin to explore this wonderful moment for myself. I remember a member of this forum posting words to the effect “as I look back on this life from atop this hill I realise angels had been guiding me all along”. Seeing the relevance of these lyrics to my current situation is one of those moments where I can look back and see a Divine presence at play guiding my past and future – ever present.

Inspired by this (and for the sheer pleasure of doing it!), here’s another little analysis of some of James Maynard Keenan’s lyrics.

Song: Parabola
Album: Lateralus
Band: Tool

“We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment,
We are Choosing to be here right now. Hold on, stay inside...
This holy reality, this holy experience. Choosing to be here in...
This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that I am not alone in
This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal all this pain is an illusion”

In actuality there is no past or future. Everything we remember happening, which we refer to now as the past, actually happened in the Moment, the Now. Everything that will happen in the future, will take place in the Moment, the Now. When the Now becomes the lived experience of the individual we barely remember who or what came before it. A teacher of mine says he can barely remember what happened 5 minutes ago, but things do happen, and with beautiful synchronicity. If the Now is the absolute version of time, then the Here is the absolute version of space. Perhaps we could argue that the Individual is the absolute version of matter, which would make "we are choosing to be here right now" a statement on the ultimate reality that Is (Us, Here and Now) and importantly that this is a choice that we and/or the Divine have made, a delicate choice requiring dedication to hold on and stay inside the Divine Moment. The Divine Moment is the Holy Reality, the ground state for the Holy Experience which is the totality of change that appears within/out of the Divine Moment.

The Divine is choosing to be here in this body. I’m uncertain by what is meant by I am not alone in this body. I’ve heard Adyashanti and others talk about absolute solitude and realising we are totally alone. We are held within the body, the body is temporary and so any pain associated with it is illusory, while we are not illusory, we are eternal.

“Alive”

Maynard let’s this word ring out emphasising it’s significance. We are life itself, we are alive.

“This holy reality, in this holy experience. Choosing to be here in...

This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that I am not alone in
This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal all this pain is an illusion...
Of what it means to be alive”

“Swirling round with this familiar parable.
Spinning, weaving round each new experience.
Recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this
chance to be alive and breathing
chance to be alive and breathing.”

We dance with the stories that we live. Exploring everything that arises within/out of us. We realise that this experience is a wonderful gift and celebrate it with the respect that it’s holiness deserves. What a gift to be alive and breathing. What holy beings we are. We ALL are. It ALL is.

“This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality.
Embrace this moment. Remember. we are eternal.
all this pain is an illusion.”

Much love,

Jack
EnterZenFromThere

Return to General Discussion