Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
ashley72

Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by ashley72 » Thu May 22, 2014 10:24 pm

This is a fundamental question... how do humans perceive the world?

We know to visibly see objects around us we need to switch the light switch on.... Let there be light.

We've been told that light is comprised of light waves "electromagnetic radiation" which travels via little things called photons... Therefore light is apparently both a particle and a wave! :?

But do photons really exist as particles? Or are they discreet wave-packets of information??

Has anyone see a photon? No

Has anyone measured the size of a photon? No not really. However, they can be approximated using the Compton wavelength which changes depending on whether a body is accelerating away or towards them.

Do photons have any mass? No they are massless.

The human visual system only senses the electromagnetic spectrum on the human visible part. A typical human eye will respond to wavelengths from about 390 to 700 nm.

We can measure other parts of the spectrum using mechanical devises.

So depending at what frequency your observing the spectrum you can extract information about the physical world.

Based on this scale above if we had an object that was comprised of pulsating electrons standing waves and we heated that object up to 50 million degrees Celsius.... the electromagnetic radiation waves oscillating off those electrons would be vibrating at 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 cycles per second!!!

If however we lowered the temperature of the object to room temperature 20 degrees Celsius. The electromagnetic waves would be vibrating at a frequency of 1,000,000,000,000,000 cycles per second. Which is the frequency that our human visual system can detect.

We can send information via radio signals, we can take x-rays of bone structure.... all using devices that utilise the electromagnetic spectrum of information. Visible light is the electromagnetic part of the spectrum that our human visual system uses to compute images of our physical visual system.

Here is a link to a video that explains how information rich the electromagnetic spectrum is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfS5Qn0wn2o

If you've watched that video about the electromagnetic spectrum you should understand this bit.

Hydrogen gas (atoms) excited by electricity to form a glowing plasma has a unique spectrum (a kind of finger print of light) for hydrogen. As do all the other elements (atoms) of the periodic table. Neon and Sodium's unique finger-print is also shown below.

So if atoms are excited electrons, protons(assembly of electrons) , spherical oscillating standing waves centers that radiant out electromagnetic waves transversely....like illustrated below.

Each atom has a unique electromagnetic spectrum finger print. This is why the photon - unit of light would seem to be the information carry of the Universe.

Enlightened2B

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by Enlightened2B » Fri May 23, 2014 9:01 pm

Ashley, if I may make a pointer here. I think this is exactly what Clouded and Dijmart were referring to in the other thread. Who exactly is the audience for this particular post? I feel like you have a lot of important information here, but you're approaching from the standpoint of someone who has a vast knowledge of science, not realizing who your audience is. Yet, your audience (this internet forum), I would say about 95 percent (not all) really don't understand what you're trying to get across here because of the lack of scientific background for most of us all (again, not all).

There's a lot of abstract diagrams and ideas in here which probably have good meaning behind them, but are completely lost in the communication process because this is way over most people's heads on this particular internet forum. An internet forum is a place for communication. I've seen many of these types of posts from you and you will notice, most of the time, no one responds. Have you noticed that no one has responded to this thread? It's not because they don't appreciate your theories. I for one do appreciate the counter point to your arguments. However, the reason no one is responding is because most of us simply don't understand what you're trying to get across here. I know I don't speak for all here, but I speak for most.

So, being that I think what you have to say is rather important, and I appreciate the scientific side you bring, why not simplify your posts so that an actual discussion can be started here? Understand who your audience is. Isn't that the point of an internet forum? So, that there can be a back and forth in means of an actual discussion? Otherwise, it could very well seem that you're attempting to merely show off your scientific background without even caring if a discussion ensues.

Just an idea.

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Fri May 23, 2014 9:58 pm

Enlightened2B wrote:Otherwise, it could very well seem that you're attempting to merely show off your scientific background without even caring if a discussion ensues.
Agreeing with your post above ... I think it would be interesting that Ashley tells us her motivations to post such 'contributions' on this forum ?

Because apart from a scientific explanation on the nature of light or particles, I don't see any personal opinion or finding related to this which could start a discussion, even if we understand what is said, there is nothing to discuss ... those posts are kind of academic course (with some gross mistakes at times), but are we here to study quantum physics ? ... nobody expects that on a forum dedicated to Eckhart tolle's teachings ...

??
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

Enlightened2B

Post by Enlightened2B » Fri May 23, 2014 10:08 pm

It doesn't matter what his motivations are Phil and that shouldn't matter to you either. He has every right to make a post on a topic he chooses. I personally think some of the stuff he posts makes for good discussion even though I might not agree with him.

The point I'm trying to make is that I would think it makes more sense to post something that warrants a discussion which often times his posts do not, due to the complexity of them scientifically speaking which most of us are not versed in.

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Fri May 23, 2014 10:43 pm

Enlightened2B wrote:It doesn't matter what his motivations are Phil and that shouldn't matter to you either.
Well i think it matters ... we are all here to understand ourself better ... and knowing our own motivations is part of this self knowledge ...
He has every right to make a post on a topic he chooses.
Well not exactly, there are some rules in this forum stating that topics should relate to Eckhart Tolle's teachings (but not limited to) ... and personally I don't see how quantum physics relates to those teachings in any manner.

Moreover there is another rule saying explicitly:
While this forum supports and promotes a free flow of ideas, please make sure that your thoughts are easily comprehendible also to other forum members.
... and many here have no understanding at all of what Ashley is speaking of ...
(Carl Jung)

Clouded

Post by Clouded » Fri May 23, 2014 10:46 pm

Ok Ahsley, no need to post lectures anymore! Here is the all information you may need straight from my textbook! If you want more just ask!!!!! I wonder if Ashley will find something to nitpick about and complain to the author.

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... b493a2.jpg
http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... 11072f.jpg
http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... 753b48.jpg
http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... 450d31.jpg
http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... c94c9c.jpg
http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... 817a80.jpg
http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... c23e4e.jpg
It doesn't matter what his motivations are Phil and that shouldn't matter to you either. He has every right to make a post on a topic he chooses.
Does this mean I can make a post about neopets.com here? I want to share my love for neopets.com.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak

Enlightened2B

Post by Enlightened2B » Fri May 23, 2014 11:07 pm

Clouded wrote: Does this mean I can make a post about neopets.com here? I want to share my love for neopets.com.
I would think the post has to be somewhat relevant to the website. If you wanted to make a post about neopets (whatever that is), the motivation behind that post is not anyone's concern as long as the post itself meets the guidelines for the website I would think. However, it is not our discretion whether a particular post meets the guidelines or not. That's the discretion of the moderators.

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Fri May 23, 2014 11:43 pm

Runstrails started a thread just recently titled "Converting (light) energy to matter". I didn't see any protests in that thread about its motivation from you guys.

Seems like a couple of individuals here are starting to single me out for a bit harsh treatment. Bully Boys?? :wink: was that a tactic straight out of PON :lol:

You keep questioning my motivates, but what about yours? Why are you both adverse to some one pondering questions about how human perception at a level or perspective you don't comprehend?

Enlightened2B

Post by Enlightened2B » Sat May 24, 2014 12:04 am

Ashley, I don't know if you're responding to me or Phil, but you just BLATANTLY ignored my post and responded with something that has absolutely nothing to do with what I wrote. Did you even read my first post in this thread? Or are you just responding from what you thought I said.

RT posted a small link to something in another thread. How does that relate to your post in this particular thread? Again, did you even read my initial post in this thread? If you did, you'd see that I actually COMMENDED your contributions here on this board, but it is the MANNER in which you are approaching some of these topics (such as this particular thread) which makes it difficult for some of us (myself included) to comprehend and also makes it difficult to create an actual discussion.

It was a mere observation in order to HELP you to perhaps make your posts more digestible and simplistic for the rest of us here to understand and actually participate in a discussion. Instead, you've chosen to ignore that apparently only create your own interpretations.

I'm done here.
Last edited by Enlightened2B on Sat May 24, 2014 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clouded

Post by Clouded » Sat May 24, 2014 12:05 am

Ashley, for me the cyber ''bullying'' started when you nitpicked my Dr. Quantum video. You could've just left the video alone but you decided to make a big deal about the marble analogy which to me, wasn't the scope of the video. You said that the video does more harm than good but at least it can be understandable to most people who don't know the language of science as well as you do. The nitpicking was unnecessary in my opinion, the video wasn't for you to judge with your quantum physics credentials, it was to help others get a visual representation of where the wave–particle duality comes from.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak

Clouded

Post by Clouded » Sat May 24, 2014 8:14 am

I appreciate the scientific side you bring, why not simplify your posts so that an actual discussion can be started here?
Did you really believe Ashley wrote all of his posts by himself? You'd think that on a forum people would be honest with themselves and not pretend to be something else just to gain respect and recognition. The way Ashley arranged his posts made it seem that he wrote it from scratch but I knew something was fishy and just didn't follow through. Does this seem familiar?

https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=_SW ... d-wall+box.+

https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=ZSW ... +untenable

https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=Eia ... ible+light.

https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=Oya ... asurements+

He could've just posted the link or something. Plus he had to assure us that he knows what he's talking about since he majored in Quantum Physics. Here have a Noble prize!!

This is not your perspective Ashley, there's a word for that and it's called plagiarism. Why you do it, I don't know and I don't care. It's just weird!! Makes me wonder how many more of your scientific posts are done that way. I don't care if you make another ''Farewell To the forum'' post because I attacked ''your'' perspective and have the mods beg you to stay. When I see bullshit, I call bullshit. I just know that if I were in your shoes and was a quantum physicist such as yourself, I wouldn't waste my time here on this forum discussing all of these scientific matters, I would go to a physics forum instead and surround myself with my own kind.

Sorry everyone here had to see this, I know that's not Higher-Self of me, and wasn't sure at first if I should reveal this but I don't care anymore, I just want to warn everyone about Ashley. I'm also done here.

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Sat May 24, 2014 8:35 am

Clouded wrote:
This is not your perspective Ashley, there's a word for that and it's called plagiarism. Why you do it, I don't know and I don't care. It's just weird!! Makes me wonder how many more of your scientific posts are done that way. I don't care if you make another ''Farewell To the forum'' post because I attacked ''your'' perspective and have the mods beg you to stay. When I see bullshit, I call bullshit. I just know that if I were in your shoes and was a quantum physicist such as yourself, I wouldn't waste my time here on this forum discussing all of these scientific matters, I would go to a physics forum instead and surround myself with my own kind.

Sorry everyone here had to see this, I know that's not Higher-Self of me, and wasn't sure at first if I should reveal this but I don't care anymore, I just want to warn everyone about Ashley. I'm also done here.
Wow Clouded ! ... you post is really impressive ...

I agree with you, Ashley pseudo-scientific posting are just cut&pasted stuff from other sites and he/she doesn't even mention the source, which indeed can be called 'plagiarism'. Moreover when he/she adds personal comments, like the one about photons having no mass because they accelerate, he/she makes a gross scientific mistake confusing mass and weight ... even a high school student would not make such a gross mistake ...

So yes, Ashley's intentions must be questioned here ... as you said a real scientific expert would not lose his time posting here to get the attention of people who do not even understand what it is about ...

"Triumph without peril brings no glory. " (from Pierre Corneillle in "Le Cid")

:D
(Carl Jung)

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Sat May 24, 2014 12:32 pm

Wherever you are, be there totally. If you find your here and now intolerable and it makes you unhappy, you have three options: remove yourself from the situation, change it, or accept it totally.

Eckhart Tolle

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Sat May 24, 2014 10:06 pm

...... in this case, I hope you first choose "accept it totally" and then choose "change it" but definitely do not choose "remove yourself from the situation" .
Last edited by Ralph on Sat May 24, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Sat May 24, 2014 10:08 pm

Hi Ashley,

I'm not trying to be a bully here but I also agree with what Clouded, Enlightened2b and Phil2 had to say in their last post on this thread. I think they were sincere in their response and what they said can help you instead of thinking that they are picking on you.
On February 17,2011 you wrote:
I'm a scientist by background an analytical thinker, which is why it's not surprising i have been so trapped in too many mind moments for a long time. I used to believe that knowledge translated to power and always trying to find answers to everything. I was a habitual problem solver... But it eventually lead me to a very unhappy and frightening place.
Perhaps, this quote you wrote back then reveals where you are now in your journey, still stuck in the same place (belief). Again, please do not take this as a personal attack.
You also wrote:
The good news is I'm on the mend, I can see a path forward (moment by moment) and it's becoming clearer by the day. Thankyou Eckhart Tolle for sharing your wisdom to all us unconscious souls!]

Yes, thank you Eckhart Tolle !