Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Onceler

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by Onceler » Sun May 25, 2014 10:53 pm

dijmart wrote:
Phil2 wrote:
Onceler wrote:And clouded for her consistent contributions and ability to bring out the best in others..... ! You certainly are a member of the community!
Which "community" ? ... are you deciding here who is member or not of this "community" ? Are you the one who decides to 'excommunicate' those who do not agree with the 'community' line of thinking or behaviour ?

I question this ...

??
Really??
If anyone is trying to excommunicate someone it is you, regarding Ashley. Seems like Onceler was being a nice guy to Clouded or that's the way I see it. How you came up with the above quote is beyond me? In general, I find Onceler to be a very nice, kind soul and have never seen him write anything before like I did in this thread to you. You have a way of pushing others buttons and then turn around and say, "oh, don't take anything personal, it's just your ego talking, are you getting emotional?" as a way to deflect from what you say or the fact that you have upset someone.
Thanks for the vote, dijmart, but let me set the record straight, I'm not as kind as you might think and I don't pretend to be spiritual, enlightened, or without ego. I do try to be civil, and I was sincere with clouded. I appreciate her contributions here, but that's classic clouded to question that, so it's all good, it's what I like about her. This community thrives on diversity and all of us are unique in our own voice. I get in a twist if someone can't appreciate that, or undermines it.
Be present, be pleasant.

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Sun May 25, 2014 11:03 pm

Onceler wrote:
Thanks for the vote, dijmart, but let me set the record straight, I'm not as kind as you might think and I don't pretend to be spiritual, enlightened, or without ego.
Right, at least you have dropped your social mask and for some moments your ego has been clearly exposed and spotted ... I think it is good to see your 'real face' ... which in fact is not you 'real face' at all ... just your pain body showing up here ... what you are has no face at all ... you are formless ... this is also why you cannot be 'hurt' really ... only a self image is hurt ... ie. an illusion ...
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Sun May 25, 2014 11:05 pm

Phil2 wrote:
Onceler wrote:
Thanks for the vote, dijmart, but let me set the record straight, I'm not as kind as you might think and I don't pretend to be spiritual, enlightened, or without ego.
Right, at least you have dropped your social mask and for some moments your ego has been clearly exposed and spotted ... I think it is good to see your 'real face' ... which in fact is not you 'real face' at all ... just your pain body showing up here ... what you are has no face at all ... you are formless ... this is also why you cannot be 'hurt' really ... only a self image is hurt ... ie. an illusion ...
Beautiful. I rest my case.....
Be present, be pleasant.

Clouded

Post by Clouded » Sun May 25, 2014 11:06 pm

Hydrogen gas (atoms) excited by electricity to form a glowing plasma has a unique spectrum (a kind of finger print of light) for hydrogen. As do all the other elements (atoms) of the periodic table. Neon and Sodium's unique finger-print is also shown below.

Maybe these videos can help you understand?? Also, forget about the equations.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTX8ueFZy-U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj1QaojnlBs
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Sun May 25, 2014 11:38 pm

Clouded wrote:
Hydrogen gas (atoms) excited by electricity to form a glowing plasma has a unique spectrum (a kind of finger print of light) for hydrogen. As do all the other elements (atoms) of the periodic table. Neon and Sodium's unique finger-print is also shown below.

Maybe these videos can help you understand?? Also, forget about the equations.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTX8ueFZy-U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj1QaojnlBs
Thanks I'll check them out.

I'm thinking about doing this Coursera online course... https://www.coursera.org/course/lcl

An introduction to light, color, & life... it's been offered by the Korean Advanced institute of science. Free to join. :wink:

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Sun May 25, 2014 11:41 pm

I think you should go back to university, clouded, your getting into the learning thing......
Be present, be pleasant.

beginnersmind

Post by beginnersmind » Sun May 25, 2014 11:48 pm

Phil2 wrote:
Onceler wrote:
Phil, you're very good at spotting and pointing out other people's egos to them. Though I suppose that's easy enough. It's looking at our own with real honesty that can be difficult.

Enlightened2B

Post by Enlightened2B » Mon May 26, 2014 12:02 am

Thanks for the vids Clouded (I'm guessing they were for me).

I'll definitely take a look later or tomorrow.

Clouded

Post by Clouded » Mon May 26, 2014 12:47 am

Enlightened2B wrote:Thanks for the vids Clouded (I'm guessing they were for me).

Ok, and just to make a clarification...

The first video explains what happens in the atom when electrons get excited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTX8ueFZy-U (EDIT: sorry I meant watch the video until 4:02)

The second video shows what Ashley's first video was about in the end in case you had trouble understanding it the first time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj1QaojnlBs (watch the video from 2:30 to 4:25)

Ashley and Onceler, I'm not in the mood to learn new things. I just got involved in this because I have emotion attached to the stuff I learned in University.
Last edited by Clouded on Mon May 26, 2014 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Mon May 26, 2014 12:49 am

Okay, thanks for the vids.
Be present, be pleasant.

Enlightened2B

Post by Enlightened2B » Mon May 26, 2014 12:52 am

Clouded wrote:
Enlightened2B wrote:Thanks for the vids Clouded (I'm guessing they were for me).

Ok, and just to make a clarification...

The first video explains what happens in the atom when electrons get excited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTX8ueFZy-U (watch the video until 8:02)

The second video shows what Ashley's first video was about in the end in case you had trouble understanding it the first time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj1QaojnlBs (watch the video from 2:30 to 4:25)

Ashley and Onceler, I'm not in the mood to learn new things. I just got involved in this because I have emotion attached to the stuff I learned in University.
Awesome. Thanks so much for posting this.

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Mon May 26, 2014 3:04 am

Enlightened2B,

What most people don't know... even though it is taught at an elementary science level. Is all matter has originated from the Hydrogen atom. Which is the simplest atom in the periodic table.

All the other atoms are derived from the Hydrogen atom through an enormous amount of heat and pressure...through a process called fusion. So every other thing/atom/molecule in our physical Universe is coming from what makes up a Hydrogen atom. Everything!!!

Which is merely 1 electron, 1 proton & 1 neutron.

So understanding the structure of the Hydrogen atom can be very revealing for understanding what the Universe is.

Now, I've stated here that I'm a proponent of a theory called the wave structure of matter. Which basically says that the electron is formed from interacting waves, which causes a standing wave. This theory also says that protons and neutrons are made of electrons. So all matter in the Universe is made from different configurations electrons (standing spherical waves).

If a wave theory like this holds weight... its quite a revelation to break everything back to one kind of pulsating standing wave.

Now Gottfried Leibniz, a very famous German mathematician and philosopher in the 17th Century... was fascinated by Taoism (ancient chinese thought). He became one of the most prolific inventors in the field of mechanical calculators, and the first mass-produced mechanical calculator. He also refined the binary number system, which is at the foundation of virtually all digital computers.

Leibniz believed that the Universe was following some kind of simple underlying mechanism... which was responsible for all the diversity and complexity we see around us.
Reality cannot be found except in One single source, because of the interconnection of all things with one another. ... I do not conceive of any reality at all as without genuine unity. ... I maintain also that substances, whether material or immaterial, cannot be conceived in their bare essence without any activity, activity being of the essence of substance in general.
(Gottfried Leibniz, 1670)
So Leibniz, believed in a wave theory for everything.

I agree with Leibniz, that some extremely simple wave interacting process is responsible for all. If you explore the genius of the wave structure of matter, you'll see it is founded on occam's razor...it is a principle of problem-solving which states that among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected. Other, more complicated solutions may ultimately prove correct, but—in the absence of certainty—the fewer assumptions that are made, the better. :wink:

There is a lot of uncertainty around quantum theory, simply because its quantum model of the very small has becoming overly complicated.
Last edited by ashley72 on Mon May 26, 2014 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Mon May 26, 2014 3:15 am

"Reality cannot be found except in One single source, because of the interconnection of all things with one another. ... I do not conceive of any reality at all as without genuine unity. ... I maintain also that substances, whether material or immaterial, cannot be conceived in their bare essence without any activity, activity being of the essence of substance in general."
(Gottfried Leibniz, 1670)

Hmmmm. Sounds like you made a connection to the forum, Ashley. Single source, interconnection, unity. Gottfried would be right at home on the forum. This is why I'm confused by the anti-science sentiment here. In the very, very little I know of quantum mechanics, it seems that the more science finds at the sub atomic level, the more paradox and mystery is found. This is very much in keeping with much of spirituality......mystery & paradox.
Be present, be pleasant.

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Mon May 26, 2014 9:15 am

beginnersmind wrote:
Phil2 wrote:
Onceler wrote:
Phil, you're very good at spotting and pointing out other people's egos to them. Though I suppose that's easy enough. It's looking at our own with real honesty that can be difficult.
Yes, I agree ... this is also why relationships are essential to understand ourself ... J. Krishnamurti used to talk about "the mirror of relationships" ... others can really mirror to us our own behaviours and emotions ... and we can learn much from there ... if we are ready to listen and look into this "mirror" ...

Good point :D
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

peas

Post by peas » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:31 am

ashley72 wrote:Look I'll wind back the level of science I put in my posts... If it brings more harmony and less opposition.
Could there be a better reason? Perhaps, because this is not a science forum?

"Oh but it is science - we put the science back into con-scious.... or would that be con-science. Oh bother!"
ashley72 wrote:My quest has never been about causing conflict.
There you go. You are on a quest. We noticed that!
ashley72 wrote:I've been here a long time
Saying this on a presence forum is like advertising prostitutes in the Vatican Daily.
ashley72 wrote:I just see the value/benefit in shifting perspective so people aren't so mentally fixed on certain ideologies.
There is no greater mental fixation than science.
ashley72 wrote:There is a mass diversity of views that has been discussed & debated on this forum
There's actually not. If you took all the posts on this forum, and plotted them on a Graph of Diversity, there would be a significant scew of diversity when compared to all the views in the world. (gee, that sounded almost scientific!)

And thats the way it should be, cause this forum has Eckhart's photo up the top and his name in the title. We are here to discuss the things addressed in his books and how they are relevant to us. Linking to other teachings is useful as well.

Perhaps a useful guide is that science mentioned here should be directly relevant to some part of the awareness literature. And this connection, as well as a connection to the question being asked, should be obvious in your posts.

This is a de-troll-ification that is entirely appropriate.