Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
User avatar
Onceler
Posts: 2257
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:35 am
Location: My house

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by Onceler » Sun May 25, 2014 5:31 pm

Why would you think I'm emotional? :) I'm not emotional at all, just resting in stillness and calling out falseness as I see it 8).

Perhaps you're projecting your own emotional state onto me :wink:

And the answer is: worse. But that's just more ego fodder for you to churn and burn, so you're welcome! :lol:

(And you didn't answer my question, if it doesn't bother you why respond to it :wink: )

Check out the concept of spiritual bypassing and see if it applies to you. I'm not saying it does, but check it out.
Be present, be pleasant.

Phil2
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by Phil2 » Sun May 25, 2014 5:56 pm

Onceler wrote:Why would you think I'm emotional? :)
Generally when one insults another (like saying "You're a viscous, spiritually passive aggressive MF") it comes from an emotional reaction, no ?

So I will leave the final word to Carl Jung:

"Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves."

Btw I suppose there are some rules in this forum to prevent insulting posts and aggressive behaviours, no ?
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

Enlightened2B
Posts: 1933
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 10:51 pm

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by Enlightened2B » Sun May 25, 2014 6:00 pm

Phil,

You've completely taken out of context, my initial post in this thread into this nonsense that's taking place here now which has nothing at all to do what I wrote and for what purpose? You looked at my post as another opportunity to jump on Ashley because of your own ego. You've questioned my motivations in the past, dijmarts, Ashley's and now Oncelers? Give me a break. YOU'RE the one inciting trouble here and no one else.

User avatar
Onceler
Posts: 2257
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:35 am
Location: My house

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by Onceler » Sun May 25, 2014 6:04 pm

Phil2 wrote:
Onceler wrote:Why would you think I'm emotional? :)
Generally when one insults another (like saying "You're a viscous, spiritually passive aggressive MF") it comes from an emotional reaction, no ?

So I will leave the final word to Carl Jung:

"Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves."

Btw I suppose there are some rules in this forum to prevent insulting posts and aggressive behaviours, no ?
You're right and I apologize. But, did it irritate you? Maybe you should explore that. Unfortunately there are no forum rules for passive/aggressive spiritual attacks or ganging up on a long term forum contributor. So I'm calling you out on that one.

I'm also calling you out on the hypocrisy of zeroing in Ashley when there is a multitude of nonsense on the forums that has nothing to do with Tolle or spirituality......including my own nonsense. It doesn't make sense, so I'm asking you to reflect, using your own technique, on what it is about science that makes you want to go for the jugular while pretending you are simply benign and above it all.
Last edited by Onceler on Sun May 25, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be present, be pleasant.

dijmart
Posts: 2116
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:35 pm

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by dijmart » Sun May 25, 2014 6:10 pm

Enlightened2B wrote:Phil,

You've questioned my motivations in the past, dijmarts, Ashley's and now Oncelers? Give me a break. YOU'RE the one inciting trouble here and no one else.
I agree. Phil has said the exact same things and quotes to me. I actually agree with Oncelers observations.


And Phil, Ashley is a male, a dude, a guy, a he and/or him.
Take what you like and leave the rest.

User avatar
Webwanderer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6842
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:03 am

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by Webwanderer » Sun May 25, 2014 6:34 pm

Onceler wrote: So why do you care? What are you defending? No one is attacking you......I am getting at a fundamental mechanism here on the forum which I think is false.
But that cuts both ways doesn't it? 'Why do you care?' 'What are you defending?' The same fundamental mechanism that concerns you here is at play in your own post.
No one is attacking you.....
Doesn't this same concern apply to you in this very post. Are you not attacking me in the same context? Is it so different an issue than standing by while a crime is committed and justifying non action by saying it's not your business? Should whistle blowers seeing and exposing abusive behavior by those claiming authority remain silent?

Let's be clear. Attacking an ideology is not the same as a personal attack. Although when someone is misrepresenting the truth for ideological reasons, it's difficult to avoid the personal motives in their misrepresentation.
Folks try to pretend they don't have an ego and are above it all then attack others in a spiritual manner which pretends that any kind of rebuttal is non-spiritual, therefore specious.
This is a bit of a strawman. If you've read my posts, you know I don't subscribe to the no-ego idea. In fact I tend to embrace ego as an necessary component of human life.

Why do I care? Because the truth matters.

What am I defending? Integrity and freedom. Not that real truth can be changed but this world has lived in darkness for a long time because of blind authoritarianism dictating ideology. It's still very much at play. Maybe it's my ego that is compelled to set the record straight, but I'm okay with that. Again, ego has a place here the human experience and denial of it is only more ego albeit blinded.

WW

User avatar
Onceler
Posts: 2257
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:35 am
Location: My house

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by Onceler » Sun May 25, 2014 6:52 pm

Webwanderer wrote:
Onceler wrote: So why do you care? What are you defending? No one is attacking you......I am getting at a fundamental mechanism here on the forum which I think is false.
But that cuts both ways doesn't it? 'Why do you care?' 'What are you defending?' The same fundamental mechanism that concerns you here is at play in your own post.
No one is attacking you.....
Doesn't this same concern apply to you in this very post. Are you not attacking me in the same context? Is it so different an issue than standing by while a crime is committed and justifying non action by saying it's not your business? Should whistle blowers seeing and exposing abusive behavior by those claiming authority remain silent?

Let's be clear. Attacking an ideology is not the same as a personal attack. Although when someone is misrepresenting the truth for ideological reasons, it's difficult to avoid the personal motives in their misrepresentation.
Folks try to pretend they don't have an ego and are above it all then attack others in a spiritual manner which pretends that any kind of rebuttal is non-spiritual, therefore specious.
This is a bit of a strawman. If you've read my posts, you know I don't subscribe to the no-ego idea. In fact I tend to embrace ego as an necessary component of human life.

Why do I care? Because the truth matters.

What am I defending? Integrity and freedom. Not that real truth can be changed but this world has lived in darkness for a long time because of blind authoritarianism dictating ideology. It's still very much at play. Maybe it's my ego that is compelled to set the record straight, but I'm okay with that. Again, ego has a place here the human experience and denial of it is only more ego albeit blinded.

WW
Very good, WW. At least you make sense. I wasn't attacking you, but defending the right of Ashley to talk about science. Also, it sticks in my craw when folks act like they have a lock on truth. I think you got caught in friendly fire..... I kind of always prided myself that I was never the recipient of your "strawman" argument, but I think you know where I'm coming from. I too am defending integrity and freedom. The freedom of Ashley to go on about science and agoraphobia, me about John Sherman, you about OEBs and positivity, Sighclone about the latest book he's read, Enterzen his bliss states, Keymaster about god knows what, sandyjoy about Williams, Kathleen about free will, Fore, Ride and Runstrails their deep advaitic understandings, and on and on.

I love it all and think the spirit of this forum allows us all to have our eccentricities. Strictly speaking, Phil2 is right in that this thread doesn't have much to do with Tolle, nor does Ashley even attempt to tie it in. However, Ashley is a good guy and has developed street cred here. He's probably helped a lot of folks with his postings on anxiety. We all have the right to change and evolve in whatever way we do. I hate to see him attacked.....especially in the name of tolerance! I sat thru the first attack, but won't sit through this one.

Ashley, continue please. I may not read it, but I've got your back.
Be present, be pleasant.

User avatar
Webwanderer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6842
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:03 am

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by Webwanderer » Sun May 25, 2014 8:18 pm

Onceler wrote:Very good, WW. At least you make sense. I wasn't attacking you, but defending the right of Ashley to talk about science.
Ashley digs his own grave when it comes to his constant belittling of honest consciousness exploration outside of materialist dogma. That said, Phil would probably be better served to take a different approach than to simply seek to silence him. Either attack the dogma and expose the flaws in his mindset and ideology, or just ignore him. Phil is a fine contributor here and this debate over Ashley's continued presence in this forum seems a waste of energy.

I am a moderator on this forum and could ban Ashley at the push of a button - he certainly wouldn't be the first - but I haven't and won't, regardless of our philosophical disagreements, so long as he doesn't violate rules or become overly detrimental to this forum. Some people like his contributions though it strains my imagination to understand why. Offering a meme of limitation seems so counter productive in the understanding of consciousness.
I kind of always prided myself that I was never the recipient of your "strawman" argument, but I think you know where I'm coming from...
Well, that's why I said 'a bit' of a strawman. It was a fairly broad brush statement that was not without 'some' merit. But as it was applied to my post I felt compelled to address it.

Anyway Onceler, your contributions and integrity are long appreciated. Your value to this forum is unquestioned.

WW

User avatar
Clouded
Posts: 492
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:06 am
Location: Inside Clouded's body

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by Clouded » Sun May 25, 2014 8:45 pm

Hi I'm back for more drama and this is what else I have to say. Although it looks like I'm on Phil's side, I got no one's back, I'm just trying to make a point.

Ashley is doing a poor job of explaining things to people who have never heard of these things before. He doesn't make clear connections between his ''arguments'' and I tried to help out with posting pages from my textbook because I don't feel like simplifying things when he should be the one doing it and maybe he will nitpick again but it looks like no one took the time to read them (maybe because they were posted by Clouded or maybe because they really don't want to know about any of this). Also, I wish that Ashley would post the sites of where he gets his information from instead of making it seem that he wrote it and then have people ask him to simplify somebody else's words. Here's an example of how to post information from other sites:
Image
Light travels as waves of energy. Waves of light have different wavelengths (the distance between the top of one wave and the top of the next). Different colors of light have different wavelengths. Purple and blue light waves have short wavelengths. Red light has a longer wavelength. This picture shows the lengths of the waves of different colors of light. The longest red waves are about 700 nanometers long. The shortest purple waves are 400 nanometers long.

Read more at: http://www.windows2universe.org/physica ... image.html
Is this what Ashley's scientific posts look like to you?

透過電腦軟件的處理,數十萬項新的相似段落已加入到相似段落資料庫之中。因此,在先秦兩漢資料庫中,系統能夠為一半以上的段落顯示至少一項與本站其它原典文獻之間的相似部分(其中不少段落有許多項目)。相似段落的訊息可以點擊段落左手邊的相似段落圖標瀏覽,也可以通過高級搜索功能檢索。

Image

本網站上的古書使用到大量頗爲少見的漢字。爲了顯示這些漢字,您的電腦必須具備一個支持這些字的 字體(尤其是支持「CJK擴展A區」至「D區」中的字), 否則您的電腦將無法顯示這些字。一個很恰當的字體是可免費下載的「花園」字體;也支持擴展A和B區的字,但不支持C或D區。 此外,您的電腦必須全面支持統一碼,包括所謂代理字;這有可能會使得舊版系統軟件無法顯示這些字。 您可以參考字體試驗頁確定您的電腦目前支持哪些漢字。

As far as I am concerned, most if not all people including myself have admitted that they don't understand Ashley's scientific perspective. So why is he even bothering posting these things here? For your own good Ashley, if you want to have an interesting, lively discussion on photons and pulsatile electrons, why not go to a physics forum, where people can actually understand you and communicate back and exchange pertinent scientific information with you?? Do you really just want people to appreciate the pretty pictures and be hypnotized by them? Because this is what you will get here, is this sufficient for you?
However, Ashley is a good guy and has developed street cred here.
This is the reason that I suspect why Ashley decides to post his scientific findings here and not on a more appropriate physics forum where he can get the responses he expects. Ashley has already ''earned'' people's respect and acceptance on this forum, he has many posts and is an old member and many people here appreciate him as seen in his ''Farewell to the Forum'' thread. If he were to start a new account on another forum he would have to start all over to ''develop street cred'' and have his posts being taken seriously. Yes, his posts about anxiety are really helpful (they helped me and i'm sure they helped many others who struggle with anxiety), but the scientific stuff is just a waste of pixels here. Now, I have yet to gain people's respect here, I'm usually just brushed off to the side. Not only was I not mentioned in Onceler's list (I post here often too :( ), a couple of months ago, people here have even told me to leave this forum when I didn't want to. I feel the love.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak

User avatar
ashley72
Posts: 2533
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:24 am

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by ashley72 » Sun May 25, 2014 9:18 pm

Webwanderer wrote:Ashley digs his own grave when it comes to his constant belittling of honest consciousness exploration outside of materialist dogma. That said, Phil would probably be better served to take a different approach than to simply seek to silence him. Either attack the dogma and expose the flaws in his mindset and ideology, or just ignore him. Phil is a fine contributor here and this debate over Ashley's continued presence in this forum seems a waste of energy.
Look I'll wind back the level of science I put in my posts... If it brings more harmony and less opposition. My quest has never been about causing conflict. I've been here a long time and I just see the value/benefit in shifting perspective so people aren't so mentally fixed on certain ideologies. It doesn't hurt our Minds to come at it from all points of view.

I also want to say thank you to Onceler for bringing a lot of clarity in this muddy matter. :D

There is a mass diversity of views that has been discussed & debated on this forum, from Aliens to Demons.... And I honestly didn't expect photons (light) and the electromagnetic spectrum would cause such dissent from the majority. Oh well, you live and learn.

User avatar
Onceler
Posts: 2257
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:35 am
Location: My house

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by Onceler » Sun May 25, 2014 9:24 pm

And clouded for her consistent contributions and ability to bring out the best in others..... ! You certainly are a member of the community!
Be present, be pleasant.

User avatar
Clouded
Posts: 492
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:06 am
Location: Inside Clouded's body

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by Clouded » Sun May 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Onceler wrote:And clouded for her consistent contributions and ability to bring out the best in others..... ! You certainly are a member of the community!
Image
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak

User avatar
Clouded
Posts: 492
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:06 am
Location: Inside Clouded's body

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by Clouded » Sun May 25, 2014 9:44 pm

And I honestly didn't expect photons (light) and the electromagnetic spectrum would cause such dissent from the majority.
Don't blame all this commotion on the topic of science itself, it's just the way you choose to present your information to this type of audience.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak

Phil2
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by Phil2 » Sun May 25, 2014 9:50 pm

Onceler wrote:
Phil2 wrote:
Onceler wrote:Why would you think I'm emotional? :)
Generally when one insults another (like saying "You're a viscous, spiritually passive aggressive MF") it comes from an emotional reaction, no ?

So I will leave the final word to Carl Jung:

"Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves."

Btw I suppose there are some rules in this forum to prevent insulting posts and aggressive behaviours, no ?
You're right and I apologize.
I accept 'what is' :-)
But, did it irritate you?
Not the least ... but I clearly saw that you went beyond some limits of civility for lack of emotional control ...
Maybe you should explore that. Unfortunately there are no forum rules for passive/aggressive spiritual attacks or ganging up on a long term forum contributor. So I'm calling you out on that one.
What does "passive/aggressive spiritual attacks" mean exactly ? ... I don't know of any definition for that ?

Is asking someone to clarify his intentions a "passive/aggressive spiritual attack" ? Is noticing a gross mistake in some 'pseudo-scientific' statements a "passive/aggressive spiritual attack" ? Is contradicting someone in his opinions a "passive/aggressive spiritual attack" ?

??
I'm also calling you out on the hypocrisy of zeroing in Ashley when there is a multitude of nonsense on the forums that has nothing to do with Tolle or spirituality
I am not specifically 'zeroing' in Ashley ... when I see or observe some wrong statements or unclear intentions, I express it ... I never said Ashley had to stop to post here ... but I warned him against the unconsistency of his behaviour, posting here stuff that most people did not understand, nor wanted to ... moreover containing gross mistakes ... If Ashley has the right to post his stuff, I also have the right to express my own views ... unless some moderator here tells me I infringe some fundamental rules or guidelines of this forum, which seems not to be the case up to now ...
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

Phil2
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by Phil2 » Sun May 25, 2014 9:58 pm

Onceler wrote:And clouded for her consistent contributions and ability to bring out the best in others..... ! You certainly are a member of the community!
Which "community" ? ... are you deciding here who is member or not of this "community" ? Are you the one who decides to 'excommunicate' those who do not agree with the 'community' line of thinking or behaviour ?

I question this ...

??
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

Post Reply