Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
User avatar
ashley72
Posts: 2533
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:24 am

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by ashley72 » Sun May 25, 2014 10:01 pm

clouded wrote:

This is the reason that I suspect why Ashley decides to post his scientific findings here and not on a more appropriate physics forum where he can get the responses he expects. Ashley has already ''earned'' people's respect and acceptance on this forum, he has many posts and is an old member and many people here appreciate him as seen in his ''Farewell to the Forum'' thread. If he were to start a new account on another forum he would have to start all over to ''develop street cred'' and have his posts being taken seriously. Yes, his posts about anxiety are really helpful (they helped me and i'm sure they helped many others who struggle with anxiety), but the scientific stuff is just a waste of pixels here. Now, I have yet to gain people's respect here, I'm usually just brushed off to the side. Not only was I not mentioned in Onceler's list (I post here often too :( ), a couple of months ago, people here have even told me to leave this forum when I didn't want to. I feel the love.
Clouded,

I suspect those illustrations of spherical oscillating standing waves haven't been to everyone's taste (including yours), and they may have been a catalyst for some of the angst leveled towards me in this thread.

I'm not the originator of the wave structure of matter theory and have never claimed to be. Dr Milo Wolff was the first person to come up with the theory. => http://www.quantummatter.com

However, I'm not sure if others realize how central the particle/wave paradox is to the Consciousness debate. Some people think I'm a materialist because I use scientific principles in my posting. But based on the fact I'm supporting theories like the wave structure of matter, I'm more an energist than a materialist. :lol: and a wave structure of matter theory gives more support/weight to the primary consciousness principle than a particle theory of matter does.

I also want to say, my postings are not hardcore science.... far from it. If I made them any more unscientific they wouldn't even pass for science. The level of science I'm posting here is no more than around high school science level... or the introductory science level. :wink:

The reason I've posted the illustrations of spherical standing waves of electrons is so someone with out a background in science can see how reality might overcome the particle/wave paradox of matter.... Or subject/object split.

Phil2
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by Phil2 » Sun May 25, 2014 10:06 pm

Webwanderer wrote:Phil is a fine contributor here and this debate over Ashley's continued presence in this forum seems a waste of energy.
Thanks for your words WW.

However I am not sure it is a "waste of energy" ... first of all because behind our opinions and intentions, there is something hiding there called 'ego' ... and it is always interesting to observe its tricks and reactions ... after all aren't we here to learn on ourselves ?

And secondly, even Ashley admits now to wind down his scientific stuff, and admits he has 'learned' something from this debate ...

So finally, a positive issue after all ... we all did learn something here ...

:D
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

User avatar
Webwanderer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6842
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:03 am

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by Webwanderer » Sun May 25, 2014 10:14 pm

Phil2 wrote:However I am not sure it is a "waste of energy" ... first of all because behind our opinions and intentions, there is something hiding there called 'ego' ... and it is always interesting to observe its tricks and reactions ... after all aren't we here to learn on ourselves ?
Can't argue that.
And secondly, even Ashley admits now to wind down his scientific stuff, and admits he has 'learned' something from this debate ...

So finally, a positive issue after all ... we all did learn something here ...
Well, maybe. Time will tell.

WW

User avatar
Clouded
Posts: 492
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:06 am
Location: Inside Clouded's body

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by Clouded » Sun May 25, 2014 10:17 pm

I also want to say, my postings are not hardcore science.... far from it. If I made them any more unscientific they wouldn't even pass for science. The level of science I'm posting here is no more than around high school science level... or the introductory science level. :wink:
Doesn't matter what level it comes from. People NEED some sort of background to understand your posts whether you agree with it or not. I don't even recall you explaining to people what a wavelength is but I'm too lazy to go back to your past posts to confirm.
The reason I've posted the illustrations of spherical standing waves of electrons is so someone with out a background in science can see how reality might overcome the particle/wave paradox of matter.... Or subject/object split.
Yeah? And how did that work for you? Were you able to make people understand how reality might overcome the particle/wave paradox of matter with those images?
Last edited by Clouded on Sun May 25, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak

User avatar
ashley72
Posts: 2533
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:24 am

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by ashley72 » Sun May 25, 2014 10:18 pm

Phil2 wrote:
Webwanderer wrote:Phil is a fine contributor here and this debate over Ashley's continued presence in this forum seems a waste of energy.
Thanks for your words WW.

However I am not sure it is a "waste of energy" ... first of all because behind our opinions and intentions, there is something hiding there called 'ego' ... and it is always interesting to observe its tricks and reactions ... after all aren't we here to learn on ourselves ?

And secondly, even Ashley admits now to wind down his scientific stuff, and admits he has 'learned' something from this debate ...

So finally, a positive issue after all ... we all did learn something here ...

:D
Phil,

The only thing I've learned is how narrow minded and in tolerate some members are to an introductory level of science.

Enlightened2B
Posts: 1933
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 10:51 pm

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by Enlightened2B » Sun May 25, 2014 10:26 pm

ashley72 wrote: The only thing I've learned is how narrow minded and in tolerate some members are to an introductory level of science.
I'm sorry Ashley, but what you posted is NOT on ANY level, introductory science. I have never, ever, ever even taken a high school level Physics course. Nor have I taken a science course in 20 years. Therefore, how am I supposed to comprehend the following below:

Hydrogen gas (atoms) excited by electricity to form a glowing plasma has a unique spectrum (a kind of finger print of light) for hydrogen. As do all the other elements (atoms) of the periodic table. Neon and Sodium's unique finger-print is also shown below.

Image
Who is this introductory for Ashley? Maybe in YOUR mind, it's introductory, but once again, you don't understand who your audience is that your posting this for.

User avatar
Clouded
Posts: 492
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:06 am
Location: Inside Clouded's body

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by Clouded » Sun May 25, 2014 10:30 pm

Who is this introductory for Ashley? Maybe in YOUR mind, it's introductory, but once again, you don't understand who your audience is that your posting this for.
Unfortunately, in my university, this was from an introductory science course. I learned this Chem in 101 to be precise. If you read my textbook maybe it will make more sense to you.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak

Enlightened2B
Posts: 1933
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 10:51 pm

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by Enlightened2B » Sun May 25, 2014 10:36 pm

Clouded wrote:
Unfortunately, in my university, this was from an introductory science course. I learned this Chem in 101 to be precise. If you read my textbook maybe it will make more sense to you.
I'm surprised to hear that. Well, regardless, it is still going way over my head as many of us are quite far removed from any kind of science classes. When you're in school and learning about it, I'm sure it makes more sense. But, I've never taken a physics class in my life. The only science I'm familiar with of late is the human body in relation to nutrition and digestion which is completely unrelated.

User avatar
ashley72
Posts: 2533
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:24 am

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by ashley72 » Sun May 25, 2014 10:38 pm

Electromagnetism is entry level physics. It is by no means hardcore physics. As I said, if you went any lower, it just wouldn't be science anymore.

Light was thought of being a wave.... way before quantum physics even got on the map.

I'm aware of the audience here... and certain quarters who have an aversion to anything remotely scientific. :wink:
Last edited by ashley72 on Sun May 25, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dijmart
Posts: 2116
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:35 pm

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by dijmart » Sun May 25, 2014 10:39 pm

Phil2 wrote:
Onceler wrote:And clouded for her consistent contributions and ability to bring out the best in others..... ! You certainly are a member of the community!
Which "community" ? ... are you deciding here who is member or not of this "community" ? Are you the one who decides to 'excommunicate' those who do not agree with the 'community' line of thinking or behaviour ?

I question this ...

??
Really??
If anyone is trying to excommunicate someone it is you, regarding Ashley. Seems like Onceler was being a nice guy to Clouded or that's the way I see it. How you came up with the above quote is beyond me? In general, I find Onceler to be a very nice, kind soul and have never seen him write anything before like I did in this thread to you. You have a way of pushing others buttons and then turn around and say, "oh, don't take anything personal, it's just your ego talking, are you getting emotional?" as a way to deflect from what you say or the fact that you have upset someone.
Take what you like and leave the rest.

User avatar
Onceler
Posts: 2257
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:35 am
Location: My house

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by Onceler » Sun May 25, 2014 10:42 pm

Phil2 wrote:
Onceler wrote:And clouded for her consistent contributions and ability to bring out the best in others..... ! You certainly are a member of the community!
Which "community" ? ... are you deciding here who is member or not of this "community" ? Are you the one who decides to 'excommunicate' those who do not agree with the 'community' line of thinking or behaviour ?

I question this ...

??
You certainly have a way with people, Phil......your attempts at provocation are juvenile to say the least....and it's under the guise of I'm helping everyone get over their ego. That's what I mean by passive aggressive. You provoke people aggressively and then pretend that you are doing it in their best interest or the best interest of the forum.

By community I mean this forum and of course I'm not the one who decides who stays and goes. You seem to be the one deciding that Ashley should go...again may I point out that you're projecting your bad behavior onto me. Keep showing your true colors, in my experience the community decides how long they want to put up with trolls. Eventually folks pay them no mind.
Last edited by Onceler on Sun May 25, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be present, be pleasant.

Phil2
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by Phil2 » Sun May 25, 2014 10:44 pm

ashley72 wrote:
The only thing I've learned is how narrow minded and in tolerate some members are to an introductory level of science.
Really Ashley ? So you missed a good opportunity to learn something on yourself ... too bad then ...

:(

But don't worry Ashley, life is like a school, when you miss one opportunity, you will receive other challenges and 'homeworks' ... this is why life always seems to repeat itself for some persons who never learn from their life situations ... they repeat the same class over and over ... like in the movie "The Groundhog Day" ... where a weatherman (Bill Murray) finds himself living the same day repeating itself over and over, until he finds the right things to do, then gets out of this endless cycle ... btw quoted by Eckhart Tolle himself too in one of his talks ...

:D
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

Enlightened2B
Posts: 1933
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 10:51 pm

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by Enlightened2B » Sun May 25, 2014 10:50 pm

ashley72 wrote:
I'm aware of the audience here... and certain quarters who have an aversion to anything remotely scientific. :wink:
You're exactly right, and you don't have to listen to people like that.

That also doesn't mean you have to 'tone down' your posts. Yet, the simple plea (from my side) was for you to simplify your posts to make them easier to understand so that we can relate them to the subject matter at hand. You can't relate to something when you have no idea what you're reading.

And you know what? As Clouded mentioned above. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm in the very small minority here of difficulty comprehending some of this science stuff. Maybe I just don't grasp basic physics. Maybe I'm just not that intelligent with this stuff. I can accept that. But, I'd like to understand it to at least engage in a conversation/discussion.

So be it.

Phil2
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by Phil2 » Sun May 25, 2014 10:52 pm

dijmart wrote:
Phil2 wrote:
Onceler wrote:And clouded for her consistent contributions and ability to bring out the best in others..... ! You certainly are a member of the community!
Which "community" ? ... are you deciding here who is member or not of this "community" ? Are you the one who decides to 'excommunicate' those who do not agree with the 'community' line of thinking or behaviour ?

I question this ...

??
Really??
If anyone is trying to excommunicate someone it is you, regarding Ashley. Seems like Onceler was being a nice guy to Clouded or that's the way I see it. How you came up with the above quote is beyond me? In general, I find Onceler to be a very nice, kind soul and have never seen him write anything before like I did in this thread to you. You have a way of pushing others buttons and then turn around and say, "oh, don't take anything personal, it's just your ego talking, are you getting emotional?" as a way to deflect from what you say or the fact that you have upset someone.
Yes Onceler might have suffered from a critical 'pain body attack' ... but as Eckhart said, you always have two chances to become aware: the first chance is when something happens to you, then you might immediately say yes, and not resist to 'what is' ... however if you miss this first chance and enter in an emotional reaction, then you still have a second chance: it is to accept the emotion within you, which is 'what is' in this present moment ... in this awareness, emotion will dissipate by itself, dissolve ... this is the miracle of awareness ...

:D
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

User avatar
ashley72
Posts: 2533
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:24 am

Re: Is a photon the basic unit of information flow?

Post by ashley72 » Sun May 25, 2014 10:52 pm

Phil,

Divide and conquer doesn't get tolerated in this forum very long. There was absolutely no reason to attack Onceler for just making some honest observations.

I think we've established by consensus that my posts were too scientific for this community. But you don't have to start personally attacking others because they have an opinion.

Post Reply