Does the Power of Now contradict dieting?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
holdorflod

Does the Power of Now contradict dieting?

Post by holdorflod » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:37 am

Lets say you really like chocolate cake and you have a slice in front of you. But you're on a diet and are looking to loose weight. That's a future goal. Say your goal is to loose 10lbs in 2 months.

You want to eat the cake now and in the moment it will be only pleasure. How does the Power of Now fit in with this? Should you not eat the cake because of the future goal? But that goal is in the future which doesn't exist. Only the now exists.

Eat the cake? But if you keep on giving into these pleasures by eating tasty cake in the now you will not reach your goal and might become quite unhealthy in the process.

Phil2

Re: Does the Power of Now contradict dieting?

Post by Phil2 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:46 am

holdorflod wrote:
You want to eat the cake now and in the moment it will be only pleasure. How does the Power of Now fit in with this? Should you not eat the cake because of the future goal? But that goal is in the future which doesn't exist. Only the now exists.
I would say : listen to your body ...

Does your body really need this cake (when it is already fat enough) ? ... or does your thought need this cake because of its addiction to eating ?

??
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:23 pm

holdorflod wrote:Lets say you really like chocolate cake and you have a slice in front of you. But you're on a diet and are looking to loose weight. That's a future goal. Say your goal is to loose 10lbs in 2 months.
These are some books on weight management which are consistent with awakening teachings: Geneen Roth, Paul Mckenna, and Charles Eisenstein.

sardinelover

Post by sardinelover » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:06 pm

Forget about TPON. Cake wins. Enjoy. :twisted:

Relax your face

Admiral Akmir

Post by Admiral Akmir » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:46 pm

sardinelover wrote:Forget about TPON. Cake wins. Enjoy. :twisted:

Game over.

holdorflod

Post by holdorflod » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:47 pm

Well from my interpretation of The Power of Now then you should eat the cake. Eventually you might feel sick if you eat half the whole cake... but you could eat more since the taste is in the now and feeling more sick is in the future which doesn't exist.

Enlightened2B

Post by Enlightened2B » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:12 am

If I can make any recommendation as someone who follows a strict diet myself, just eat what's right for your body as in what feels right, and please don't take dietary advice from a spiritual teacher. Most have good intentions, but don't have a clue how the physical body works.

If you're following a diet, you're setting goals which is normal. I do it too with my own diet. When we are constantly stuck in the past and future, that is where suffering arises. However, utilizing the future for goal setting is incredibly necessary to navigate through this physical reality as long as we don't get too attached to those ideas. As much as some people would like to believe there is no cause and effect, there most certainly IS cause and effect within the physical realm. It's just ignorance that says otherwise. If I constantly eat dairy products, I will be in the hospital with a crohns disease exacerbation. Point being, goal setting is incredibly important and understanding that what you eat now WILL affect your body at a later moment.

If you have an urge to 'cheat', plan out 'cheat days' so that you can allow yourself that piece of cake once in a blue moon instead of indulging every time you develop the urge. From my research in diet and nutrition, no matter what the diet is, I've discovered that if you follow the diet 85-90 percent of the time, you can allow a little leeway for that occasional piece of cake. The physical body is an organism that needs nourishing. There's no way around it. You don't need science in any manner for spirituality, but you do need science to understand things in the physical realm such as digestion and such.

So, understand your body, understand what works for the body in weight loss. Understand that your body is unique compared to other people's bodies. Set realistic goals and most importantly, do NOT beat yourself up if you do happen to cheat on the diet. Accept that it happened and move forward. But, don't spend too much time over analyzing this. The extra stress is only going to counter act the purpose of the diet in the first place.

Just my take.

slow ride

Post by slow ride » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:29 am

Maybe enjoy the cake slowly.
Very slowly using all flavor molecules as nowness tools.

Enjoy your slice of cake tantrically.

blissedandzen14

Post by blissedandzen14 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:22 am

Phil2 wrote:
holdorflod wrote:
I would say : listen to your body ...

Does your body really need this cake (when it is already fat enough) ? ... or does your thought need this cake because of its addiction to eating ?

??
I agree with this. Become aware of whether or not your thoughts are telling you, you need the cake or you're actually just plain physically hungry for it. Much the same way I'm trying to view wine haha

eaglestare

Post by eaglestare » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:55 am

Okay, eat a small piece of cake sloooowly, enjoy it meditatively...Then make up for it with an extra mile of power walking or jogging to burn it off. It is devastating how a little bit of indulgence will keep you from making your goal. And I suppose one should be totally aware of the choice, and what needs to be done later. I think in this case, Tolle would say being proactive is necessary, that taking is action is important. I think one needs to be assertive, not passive, while being in the moment, and take necessary steps for your well-being, and for others.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:44 am

I have had huge issues with addictive eating in the past and to some extent still have some vestiges. As things have cleared up, I find a lot of my addictive habits have fallen away. I can now just eat one chocolate or one slice of cake, but rarely do. I have found that a plant based, whole foods diet takes away the craving for other 'foods'. I believe more and more that as we wake up we can use our natural intelligence, to chose positivity over negativity. It takes time for this to happen, however, so be patient and enjoy the moment......certainly, if you find yourself eating cake in the moment, enjoy!
Be present, be pleasant.

alex

Post by alex » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:43 am

Of course you can have a future goal and commit to it in this moment. TPON includes everything! Feel fully the craving for the cake, use your very useful mind to remind yourself of your goal and say no thanks! I think being able to have 100% commitment to things shows some character and strength. A fair bit of commitment is kinda needed if you ever want to realise your true nature and be a conscious expression of it.
Go you! Full power and I hope you find joy in achieving your goal.

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:02 pm

alex wrote:Of course you can have a future goal and commit to it in this moment. TPON includes everything! Feel fully the craving for the cake, use your very useful mind to remind yourself of your goal and say no thanks! I think being able to have 100% commitment to things shows some character and strength. A fair bit of commitment is kinda needed if you ever want to realise your true nature and be a conscious expression of it.
Go you! Full power and I hope you find joy in achieving your goal.
I would also add that 'resisting' to the desire for eating means that you do not obey to what thought tells you (don't listen to what thought tells you !)... you simply do nothing at all, so you can fully remain in the now, in stillness, presence ... it is quite different from having a goal which requires you to 'do' something, because in this case an action is required with an intention, which immediately projects you in future (time) and expectations ...
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)