Purpose

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
runstrails

Purpose

Post by runstrails » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:07 am

So I'm back from a wonderful vacation where I did not have a single spiritual thought! It was one of those action-packed vacations with no time to think at all (other than which restaurant to go to for dinner!) and now I feel refreshed and relaxed.

Of course, now that I'm back----the intellect is grinding away :wink:. I've been ruminating on the notion of 'purpose'. All of the scientific literature shows that people who describe themselves as having a purpose are happier, healthier and richer (only kidding about that last one).

For the ET crowd, I imagine our answers would be---asking about purpose is the wrong question, life just is. or perhaps, our purpose is to experience everything that comes our way. Or perhaps even that life has no purpose. Or that our purpose is to know our true nature. And I do agree with all these statements.

But still, I want to ask you if you have a well-defined purpose (a secondary purpose, if you will) in your everyday life in maya. Is it to be a good mother or dad, or to try to cure cancer or to be an awesome dancer or singer or to be a good friend. What would you say is your purpose? Does it change? I think it might be useful to have a noble pursuit with which to engage in this existence.

Hope everyone's summer (or winter if you're down under) is going well!

dijmart

Re: Purpose

Post by dijmart » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:30 am

runstrails wrote: What would you say is your purpose? Does it change? I think it might be useful to have a noble pursuit with which to engage in this existence.
Why don't you go first Runtrails :wink:
Take what you like and leave the rest.

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:39 am

Hi Dij,
I'm not sure what I would say actually. Which is why I wanted to see if others had a more clearly articulated sense of purpose. I do intend to ruminate on this issue and will post any insights that come up. Thanks for asking.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:11 am

Of course I've sung the praises of purpose on this forum for a long time. I don't see life and this physical youniverse as a random event. Therefore it has a purpose. From the greater perspective it's an imagined reality that can be perceived uniquely through these apparently physical human forms. So in the larger sense the whole physical environment is designed for new and unique perceptions and experiences. The underlying purpose, as in all realms of experience, is the expansion of consciousness and being.

As to our more individualized approaches to life here in our humanity, it's just a stepped down version and is a vehicle to that larger purpose. We are here to explore and experience directly and under intentionally limited conditions for that evolution/expansion of consciousness and being.

But then there are the details, and that I sense is the focus of your topic. What is the field of exploration I came to experience, and therefore grow consciously within? Is it more related to careers? To arts? To relationships? Or simply to awaken and help bring greater clarity to this human adventure? All have value toward consciousness evolution, but each of us have our uniqueness in our chosen adventure.

I really like the question RT. It should promote some fun introspection.

WW

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:39 am

Welcome back 'Trails, :D (can you do us a favour and 'catch up' on the advances in the 'Experience of awareness in deep dreamless sleep' topic while you've been away.. http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... =5&t=12394 your perspective will shine light there I'm sure :D )

And it will explain some of my musing to this question (where my head's been while you've been enjoying your break).
I've been ruminating on the notion of 'purpose'. All of the scientific literature shows that people who describe themselves as having a purpose are happier, healthier and richer (only kidding about that last one).
Two level response
basic --- A very wise it seemed police officer mentioned to me once regarding kids in trouble with the law that they sought to elicit where the person saw them self 'going' in life. If they had and could detail a 'purpose' they the police officer would add that to their response and treatment and recommendations in the current situation. They said basically, if a kid has strayed off the rails, but still knows where they're going then I know I don't have to worry about them choosing the 'off the rails' behaviours as an ongoing practice.

Kids, even 'at risk behaving' kids, with a sense of purpose are far different to those with no sense of purpose. And she detailed relevant examples.

On a different level, I participated in a wonderful 'prototype' course in how to define and understand this sense of 'purpose' by Carolyn Matthews (who came to me via Dr Bruce Greyson's studies).
Her 'take' on a book and course she wrote -
"Mentoring the Near-Death Experience Survivor: Addressing the Need to Find the Mission in Life," is a book not only for the general reader but also for the health-care and other support services for near-death experiencers. Includes valuable research and info about the challenging affects of the NDE on the survivors.
It's a bit of a conundrum, but was a wonderful experience. The conundrum being that Carolyn and other researchers had noticed that nde'rs came back with an intense (overt) sense of 'purpose' even if they couldn't quite articulate it, or an intense need to find their 'purpose' - sure that there was one. This course used a variety of techniques from creative writing to meditating to journalling and other activities to 'uncover' and sort of by the end of the course even write like a 'business plan' - not really business plan, but uncovering values etc underpinning and refining the 'operational' and like corporate planning type frameworks - how do we define xyz, how will we achieve xyz, how will we know we've achieved xyz sort of thing.

While creating the 'course' that could be used by anyone to 'find their mission' Carolyn set up a shared space for the initial course participants and I'm not sure but maybe it took her more deeply in that direction, in more understanding of nde survivor 'issues' and support that might help them as she says 'reintegrate'. It was actually with these other experiencers that I realised that my 'energy' stuff wasn't just me - blowing up light bulbs & ridiculously affecting electrical things was 'common' between us - in difference that we never used to do it before the nde. So things like that came up as 'new things' for us to traverse.

The course info is here
http://www.ndemission.com

However, I still do not see that anyone would have had to have had an nde in order to benefit from this course. It gave me additional insight not only into my own sense of 'purpose', but how useful it is to actually understand that sense of purpose more clearly.

Overwhelmingly it seems nde returners have a shared sense of response ability on return. Mine was no different I thought of it in terms, both in the light and on return as being aware of the opportunities to choose love over fear. And eventually (maybe - my choice completely) to share that and provide beds of relative safety for folks to do that. I have achieved that in my work in a way that's tangible, in my personal life maybe less tangibly so.

I think finally in the course with Carolyn I articulated it as (hang on have to go back to the course material kept in a folder reverently titled 'nde stuff' :wink: )..
hmmm.... admittedly this 'statement' was with awareness and acceptance of awareness, capacity and willingness, and the upside down nature of it not being egoically implemented... (which may be lost just dumping it here).
Mission Statement: To be love and compassion in all things, and through being that with empathy and my communication talents help others to see that it takes nothing away from them to be so.
You know trails, when I read that - it brings tears to my eyes.

A 'they know not what they ask' absolute humility in the understanding of what it actually means bringing it into practice. (as tears fall quietly, acceptingly down my cheek.)

It 'costs' to walk the talk, absolutely, but I am happier, healthier ............and richer but not in material ways, in fact the reverse.

.... further hmmm from what I 'submitted' in the course to Carolyn ----
Now that I have (thank you Carolyn) clarified the parts of my mission above, that of being an instrument of others’ learning, I am even clearer about accepting synchronicities and opportunities put before me in every interaction.

I sent it to my daughter and said I’d found my mission and the ‘me’ of my life. She laughed when she read it and said, ‘Mum, that’s who you’ve always been!’
Albeit my daughter didn't know me pre nde :wink:
Last edited by smiileyjen101 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com

slow ride

Post by slow ride » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:40 am

My Purpose: completely wizen up, reform through however many needed lifetimes back to Love, remember myself back

Once having done so and basked for however long in Lovesource...
Maybe throw myself back out again just for the adventure of experiencing all options and testing to see if I will, yet again, as I have who-knows-how-many times before, succumb to Love

Keep putting Love to the test to continually re-verify that it is the only real force and inevitable

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:49 am

Keep putting Love to the test to continually re-verify that it is the only real force and inevitable
Yum slowride!
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:18 am

runstrails wrote:So I'm back from a wonderful vacation where I did not have a single spiritual thought! It was one of those action-packed vacations with no time to think at all (other than which restaurant to go to for dinner!) and now I feel refreshed and relaxed.

Of course, now that I'm back----the intellect is grinding away :wink:. I've been ruminating on the notion of 'purpose'.
lol ... obviously the 'purpose' is to enjoy a good 'vacation' ...

8)

... and btw "vacation" means 'emptiness', 'vacuum' ... which is the essence of who you are ... so enjoy emptiness ... enjoy yourself ... wherever you are ... because you can only be here and now ... where else ?
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

Fore

Post by Fore » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:26 pm

Gardening.

KathleenBrugger

Post by KathleenBrugger » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:24 pm

Glad you're back rt, I missed you! Purpose? Is purpose what gives meaning to our lives? My purpose right now is to learn how to be a more loving, kind person every day.
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:55 pm

runstrails wrote:Hi Dij,
I'm not sure what I would say actually. Which is why I wanted to see if others had a more clearly articulated sense of purpose. I do intend to ruminate on this issue and will post any insights that come up. Thanks for asking.
Glad ur back! I do not have it clearly articulated either :lol:
Take what you like and leave the rest.

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:46 pm

runstrails wrote:What would you say is your purpose?
To boldly go where no rachMiel has gone before.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:26 am

Fore wrote:Gardening.
Agreed! Not much more satisfying. I just moved so I have to start over in my garden. Sorry to leave my work behind, but it's fun to start afresh.

Other than gardening, dealing intelligently with whatever comes into my awareness.
Last edited by Onceler on Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be present, be pleasant.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:29 am

rachMiel wrote:
Nice. :D

WW

KathleenBrugger

Post by KathleenBrugger » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:03 am

Webwanderer wrote:
rachMiel wrote:
Nice. :D

WW
Yes! :D
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/