Selling out to society

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
EternalPrize

Selling out to society

Post by EternalPrize » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:46 pm

As I awaken more and more, I realize that rebels usually have a hard time making it in the world. It's just the way things are. At the same time I awaken, I find, I am moving forward in my career. This realization just hit me a few days ago as I started looking to apply for "higher up" jobs - that maybe, just maybe, I am actually engaged in the positive process of career-advancement. I've never thought this way before - partially because I never thought much of myself, and partially because I always resented others and the system out of habit as a defensive mechanism of the first problem.

But anyway, I find myself selling out. I want to make more money. I want a nice life with friends, with connections - even though I also want to awaken and be more psychologically healthy, especially in regards to lacking jealousy, resentment, etc.

Do any of you have any experience with this? I feel my intelligence has been under-utilized because I've refused to join the game. I'm learning all the basic steps now, it seems. And I'm scared of stepping into a corporate, demanding environment that values hard work and does not necessarily understand much beyond it.

karmarider

Re: Selling out to society

Post by karmarider » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:05 am

EternalPrize wrote:But anyway, I find myself selling out.
You're not selling out. You want to experience certain things.
I want to make more money. I want a nice life with friends, with connections - even though I also want to awaken and be more psychologically healthy, especially in regards to lacking jealousy, resentment, etc.
Sounds good.
Do any of you have any experience with this? I feel my intelligence has been under-utilized because I've refused to join the game. I'm learning all the basic steps now, it seems. And I'm scared of stepping into a corporate, demanding environment that values hard work and does not necessarily understand much beyond it.
My experience is that with increasing clarity, I have lost interest in my corporate career. It's been increasingly more difficult for me to see my career or the idea of making money as important. It's been more and more difficult for me to pretend that I fit into the American corporate culture, and I've even tried various things like changing jobs, working with start-ups, non-profits, and so on. And this loss of interest in the conventional desire to make money has been really annoying because on the other side are the practical demands of modern life and responsibility and securing a financial future and so on.

I haven't found an answer. I'm surprisingly unconcerned about it.

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:18 am

Hey EP,
You raise a good, practical issue. There is nothing wrong with having a fast track career or making money as long as you enjoy it to some degree. But it's easy to get caught up in it, so watch out for that. Maybe have a routine where you do a little meditation on what really matters everyday. I try to balance my career with trail running so I don't get too caught up in work and I can keep my perspective on reality. But you should not have any guilt about making money or having a 'nice life' as you say, if that is what shows up in your life. C'est la vie :D.

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:51 am

EternalPrize wrote:And I'm scared of stepping into a corporate, demanding environment that values hard work and does not necessarily understand much beyond it.
If you are looking for more money and career advancement you will be forced to do things you don't like, no doubt ...

The key is to know what you love to do and stick to that ... if you look for money and recognition you are lost ...

You cannot have two masters ...
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:43 pm

EternalPrize wrote:But anyway, I find myself selling out. I want to make more money. I want a nice life with friends, with connections - even though I also want to awaken
You can awaken or be awake and earn a good living. Why is this selling out? To whom are you selling out to anyways? Why do people think you must be broke and have nothing to be awake? Is E.T. broke? No, he's far from broke. I use to have little money, but now I earn good money. There's a change in lifestyle, but that's about it. Actually, I haven't changed that much really, I'll still go to thrift stores here and there and my husband laughs at me and says..."you do realize you don't need to do that anymore, right?" The difference for me is that I don't have to worry about money. I'm not rich, but I don't even have to think about money, because I know that I have enough for bills, emergencies and to do fun stuff, if I choose. Say my circumstances changed and I couldn't work anymore, well I'd deal with that when/if that were to happen, but for now, why make a problem out of having money? Or having/getting a good paying job?

Now this is different, then the money topic, to me at least. I worked at a place that worked me like a dog and I allowed this while hating it at the same time. I eventially quit and it was the best thing I ever did, but it did spring board me into the position I currently have with another company in administration. I'm a nurse, but I'm in administration at a hospital that allows me the best of both worlds. I have an office to retreat to, but still interact with patients daily also. My job now is good. I don't feel overwhelmed daily, working crazy shitty hours like the last place. So, you have to pick and choose what feels right for you and if it's not working out, find somewhere else.
Phil said- If you are looking for more money and career advancement you will be forced to do things you don't like, no doubt
People are always forced into doing things they may not like to do in life. A stay at home mom, may not want to change a shitty diaper three times a day, but still has to do it or vomit off the floor and curtains when her kid is sick, but still has to do it.

My point is, she loves her kid, but has to do some things she doesn't like sometimes, in order to have her kid. See?
Take what you like and leave the rest.

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:20 am

dijmart wrote:
Phil said- If you are looking for more money and career advancement you will be forced to do things you don't like, no doubt
People are always forced into doing things they may not like to do in life. A stay at home mom, may not want to change a shitty diaper three times a day, but still has to do it or vomit off the floor and curtains when her kid is sick, but still has to do it.

My point is, she loves her kid, but has to do some things she doesn't like sometimes, in order to have her kid. See?
No Di, when a mother really loves her kids this cannot happen ... it can only happen when there is no love or not enough love ... because the mother wants to do something else, or 'must' do something else like going to a work she doesn't like ... or chat with her friends ... or look for some kind of egoistic pleasure ...

When you love you do care, whatever care is needed ...
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:02 pm

Phil2 wrote: No Di, when a mother really loves her kids this cannot happen ... it can only happen when there is no love or not enough love ... because the mother wants to do something else, or 'must' do something else like going to a work she doesn't like ... or chat with her friends ... or look for some kind of egoistic pleasure ...

When you love you do care, whatever care is needed ...
Not sure I'm following you here Phil. I was a stay at home mom and did plenty I didn't like. Even now with my 7 mo. old grandson who lives with us since birth. I really love him, couldn't love him any more, but sometimes I have to do things I may not want to do such as clean a really shitty diaper! It's not that I want to do another activity or chat with friends, ect. it's that changing shitty diapers sucks, period. So, sometimes in the working world you have to do some things you'd rather not, but you don't throw the baby out with the bath water, so to speak. :lol:

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:18 am

Phil2 said: If you are looking for more money and career advancement you will be forced to do things you don't like, no doubt ...
Even with a gun to their head no one is really 'forced' to do any thing - we choose by weighing up our values, principles etc

In ANE in the section about Awakened Doing, the discussion on acceptance, enjoyment & enthusiasm details the differences. It supports what DJ's suggesting - that while one might 'accept' --- that in this moment, this is what is what is required of me... and do it willingly and still not necessarily be enjoying it, no one can 'force' us to accept or do anything. We do it willingly. Active participation in an activity of our own doing - is of our own doing.

When and if a conflict of values occurs one can consider the sane options - change, accept, or remove oneself from the situation. Either way, one is not being forced. One is choosing. Absolutely the choices may all be 'shitty', but our values will determine our response and our harmony with the situation.

It may be that one corporate entity or choice is or becomes unpalatable - then one would resign - as I have done to the shock & horror of others who maybe are not as loyal to, or understanding of, their own values and how those choices will impact in the future.

I was neither 'forced' to resign, or 'forced' to participate in the unfolding natural consequences of decisions made by others in positions of directing the corporate culture and values that I found, in the end, intolerable. What I found unpalatable was an overt and easy for anyone to see hypocrisy being allowed to unfold, one either had to support or reject this, most excused it, and that's okay too.

While I loved my job, and the people in it, even those making those decisions, it was not something I could accept moving forward, or (even though I absolutely tried) change. Therefore the only other choice is to remove oneself from the situation. I have no regrets, not in giving of my all, or receiving the benefits of the position for as long as I served it and it served me, or letting that position go when it no longer 'served' me.

That's a wonderful little snippet of wisdom in CWG - love does and participates in that which serves and represents our highest self - and withdraws from that which does not serve. And, honesty is the highest form of love. This is a totally loving, compassionate and honest acceptance of the circumstances that we find our selves in in co-creation with others, at work, at play, in relationships.

When I considered my 'options' to accept, change, or remove myself, many of my colleagues and indeed those making the decisions were shocked - but also admiring of my courage and honesty, and most especially that I did so without making enemy of any one else - awareness of awareness, capacity & willingness in differing degrees. My resignation stated that while I had loved my job, I was no longer the right person for it, and it was no longer the right job for me. The CEO argued that given my efforts and success in educating so many as to the true representation of the corporate values I absolutely was still the right person for the job,......... but then had to admit that in its current form, without change which he wasn't prepared to enact, it couldn't be the best job for me. :(

These two balance each other - what serves us and others fairly and honestly. If one is unhappy in any area of their life something is out of balance in this. A thing (a partnership, a role, a decision, a job, a marriage, a contract etc) has to embrace you and it in equal respect, or it doesn't work.

But even in admitting this, mutual respect can still arise in acceptance.

At my farewell party, even though every one knew the content / cause of it, and all had different points of view, ethically, morally, corporately and personally, it was a celebration in gratitude & generosity for the time that we had worked together. The CEO said it was like a really amicable divorce, it was breaking his heart to lose me, but he couldn't stand in my way, and admired the courage of my convictions even knowing that he didn't have the same courage, or even same convictions.

It was a very difficult decision, no doubt, but it was still able to be enacted in love and compassion.

We choose - no one can presume to choose for you - we choose - again from CWG, we choose that which we wish to experience, not what another is allowed to experience.

If awake we choose awarely in every (or many) moments and decisions, and we stay true to who we really are without fear, or favour, or condemnation of others.

Then love is still our highest guide.

EP, your role or your pay packet does not define you --- nor confine you.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:29 pm

smiileyjen101 wrote: In ANE in the section about Awakened Doing, the discussion on acceptance, enjoyment & enthusiasm details the differences. It supports what DJ's suggesting - that while one might 'accept' --- that in this moment, this is what is what is required of me... and do it willingly and still not necessarily be enjoying it
I love how you can come along and make my points better then I can. :lol: Thank you, for you're imput!