awareness and thoughts

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
cloud

awareness and thoughts

Post by cloud » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:38 am

Certain teachings point to bringing awareness to certain things to slow down the thinking mind. For some reason first thing in the morning is when my mind is racing with thoughts, i notice throughout the day it seems to be quieter. It is easy to fall into feeling stress and tense in these moments i have tried various techniques in slowing down and accepting the thoughts but doesn't seem to make much difference, maybe doing something that requires some focus first thing in the morning would break the habit? Would be great to get some perspective to how other people deal with this.

Many Thanks for any feedback in advanced!

Phil2

Re: awareness and thoughts

Post by Phil2 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:44 am

Did you try meditation ? Especially useful in the morning to clear the 'stress' of the night (bad dreams etc.) ...
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

cloud

Post by cloud » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:09 am

Yeh i tried some meditation but find that it is very challenging at this time of the day, i let me thoughts be but always end up thinking more at the end! Compared to meditating sometime during the day or at night.

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:30 am

cloud wrote:Yeh i tried some meditation but find that it is very challenging at this time of the day, i let me thoughts be but always end up thinking more at the end! Compared to meditating sometime during the day or at night.
ok if you feel better with meditation later in the day it's nice too ... meditation is a healing process, your mind will slow down and become clearer and clearer, at some point it will be no problem any more to meditate in the morning ... just hold on with this daily practice for at least 20 minutes ... and as someone said jokingly: if you don't have time to meditate 20 minutes, then you should meditate one hour ...

:lol:
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

tomtom1

Post by tomtom1 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:42 pm

It's funny you should say that. I have the exact same thing in the morning! Specially when I am still kind of groggy after waking up. I get the same if I wake up from a nap too.
One thing I have found for certain is that when I struggle against the thoughts and want them to go away it just carries on longer. Sometimes for the whole day. I have learnt to just try and relax at these times and kind of let it pass. I also try to ask myself what is aware of the thoughts and try to feel an inner peace.
Good luck with it! :)

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:05 pm

Might try some yoga in the morning. I find it gets me physically and mentally prepared for the day.
As an aside, when I have thoughts in the morning they are usually related to a problem that I was thinking about sub consciously during sleep and often these thoughts will have the answer! So if they are useful (problem solving thoughts) you might consider listening to what they have to say :).