The Heart

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Lazypoet

The Heart

Post by Lazypoet » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:22 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jobk3Usi73k

Am I the only one who is cringing a bit?

Phil2

Re: The Heart

Post by Phil2 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:38 am

Lazypoet wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jobk3Usi73k

And this reminds me the famous Secret from the Fox in Saint-Exupery's book "The Little Prince"

"And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:05 pm

It looks like they mix dramatic bits with non fiction.....that's hard to pull off.
Be present, be pleasant.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:47 pm

Lazypoet wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jobk3Usi73k

I'm not cringing. Better this than another Zombie movie being made. This will touch a lot of people in a very positive influential way. It's too early to say how accurate it will be, but like most external sources of information, we can include what inspires us and brings us clarity, and set aside the rest. The heart after all, is a greatly overlooked influence on consciousness.

WW

Lazypoet

Post by Lazypoet » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:50 am

I love spirituality, i just don't think it's ideas mixes with film as a medium that well. It needs to be told indirectly, the philosophy,

like when we follow a character that transforms,

not being lectured by teachers while there is a story on the side.

I don't think this looks good,

and I have to say so as I'm a lover of cinema in general.

Spiritual thinkers and film are maybe not the best match.

alex

Post by alex » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:59 pm

Wow, gave me goosebumps. Doesn't it bring the hugest smile to your soul seeing truth going mainstream. Love it. Finding heart is such a sweet stage of the journey.

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:49 am

OMG --- I may shatter into a gazillion pieces :D :D :D :D :D

Gosh, I WISH I could make the background of this post SHINE

Lazypoet... why the 'cringe' - do you know the 'cringe' is tightening ourselves into little tight balls of resistance?

Let go, let go.... :D

My 'hardest' struggle will be to not allow my 'expectations' to filter the limitations of the presentation or its treatment. Remind me if I fall (cringe :wink: )
Lazypoet said: I have to say so as I'm a lover of cinema in general.

Spiritual thinkers and film are maybe not the best match.
hmm, 'difference' in perspective - check your expectations at the door and just take the wild ride with the co-creators.

I watched The Book Thief last night, and there is a narrator - nice voice, calm, safe detailing the intimate last thoughts of the characters shown - when 'he/she' came into my arms', or 'when I first met....'
While simultaneously taking the 'wild ride' with the characters in the setting of Germany in WW2, wondering who this 'voice' was portraying was filtering at another level of not deciding - just watching, listening, accepting, unfolding without judging.... At the end of the movie I said to my partner - I still don't know who the narrator was supposed to be ... God?.... he said, no, it's the Grim Reaper. Hmmm, okay, that works.

I disagree that spiritual thought / concepts cannot be expressed in movies they're in every movie if we're open to seeing them - The City of Angels, The Hereafter, Interview with a Vampire for goodness sake!! :wink:
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:13 am

smiileyjen101 wrote:
I disagree that spiritual thought / concepts cannot be expressed in movies they're in every movie if we're open to seeing them - The City of Angels, The Hereafter, Interview with a Vampire for goodness sake!! :wink:
Right Jen. Eckhart Tolle often refers to 3 movies he appreciates particularly: The Horse Whisperer (the healing power of quietness), Forrest Gump (letting love guide you instead of intellect) and The Groundhog Day (you repeat your painful experiences until you learn what must be learned) ...

You can indeed find interesting messages in many other movies: Matrix, What dreams may come, Mrs Doubtfire, The Lord of the Rings even E.T. (no, no this is not Eckhart Tolle acronym :lol: ) or Jurassic Park contain many interesting messages ... let's not forget that most movies come out of literature or philosophy books ... most of those stories are human myths and represent humanity's archetypes including most often 'romantic love' :) ...
(Carl Jung)

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:00 am

smiileyjen101 wrote:I disagree that spiritual thought / concepts cannot be expressed in movies they're in every movie if we're open to seeing them - The City of Angels, The Hereafter, Interview with a Vampire for goodness sake!! :wink:
Interview with a Vampire?

One could say that every movie is a spiritual movie. Every fictional (and some non-fictional) book or movie projects false characters which seem real and absorb attention completely for a while. Similar to physicality.

Lazypoet

Post by Lazypoet » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:12 am

But you have to admit those movies don't have a packaged message to be sold.

I feel like the secret takes spirituality and throws glitter on it, wraps it nicely and sells it.

Feel the same for this movie.

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:34 am

Lazypoet wrote:
I feel like the secret takes spirituality and throws glitter on it, wraps it nicely and sells it.
Yes I agree on this, this movie is more like a tv-ad or 'tv home shopping' trying to sell us some stuff to buy ... the book is better ...
(Carl Jung)

Lazypoet

Post by Lazypoet » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:49 am

Just because we are interested in spirituality, doesn't mean that we are strained or negative if we don't like a movie.

It's gullible to like everything and call it being open and accepting. Sometimes stuff is,

like how do I say this,

Extremely shitty.

There I said it :)

alex

Post by alex » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:31 pm

Hehe!

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:59 pm

Lazypoet wrote:Sometimes stuff is,

like how do I say this,

Extremely shitty.

There I said it
"Shittyness" is in the eye of the beholder... :mrgreen:

WW

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:53 am

ww said: "Shittyness" is in the eye of the beholder... :mrgreen:
:D Oh yes!! And so are the gems!

Actually yes, yes yes yes yes to all the above comments :D even the shitty ones :lol:

One gem from one production about fire training of all things, "We can stand in a classroom and teach all day, but if they can see it..., hear it..., feel it..., smell it... and taste it, .... then they understand it."

A thing becomes real in our understanding by experiencing the combined sensations, interpreting meaning and retaining the information.

So I'm as excited about the 'treatment', the 'process' as the 'content'. I love the behind the scenes - the making of... ' docos as much as the movies, and the cutting room floor scenes that didn't make it in, as much as the ones that did. The bloopers too! It's all good. The thing with movie makers / creators - we know we're being selective. We know there are a gazillion possible perspectives and endings. We know this, so we don't get as caught up in any of them, and we appreciate more of them at the same time.

And that's where we have to check our (personal) expectations at the door. Otherwise therein will be my disappointments, it's not my creation. It's like judging the life of another, it's ridiculous, but we all do it, we all think we could do a better job.

When being an audience member I have to put my professional awareness, capacity, willingness into 'sleep mode' otherwise I won't have room for theirs. In individuation, if their 'gems', their treatments - even their lighting angles & edited selections and fades and graphics and background music in any way don't live up to my (professional - awareness, capacity, willingness) expectations with such interesting material & characters, it will clash if I hold on to my sense of my self, rather than ride the wild ride of their creating.

All story tellings are the same - what will complement, what will agitate, what will highlight, what will carry, what will settle after the dust storm. How will we have been 'moved'.
But you have to admit those movies don't have a packaged message to be sold.
Every movie (every life experience) has a packaged message to be sold. Albeit money is not the transacting tender......... the hearts and minds of people is.

Lazypoet - when do you ever step outside of your house not projecting a role - with a 'package to sell'? Are you aware of when you are doing this, and when you are being authentic? Do you stay in your work clothes at the end of the day, or get home, strip those props off and relax into a more 'authentic' you? We all use costumes, props, lines, make up etc ... all the time.

The characters in An Interview with a Vampire - their life depended on them knowing which was which, and the movie (and book) showed both the 'public face' and the 'private face'. The vanities and capacities of all of them, human and vampire, the ignorant perish at the hands of the aware, but we can all be deceived by our vanities.

Yes!! Interview with a Vampire! We pretend those dark, life sucking parts are not a part of ourselves - and we don't like to be reminded of it by others. (And one has to admit the one liners are pretty funny).
One could apply the screaming (gem) of the character played by Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men again - "YOU don't really want the TRUTH - YOU can't handle the TRUTH!!"
Lazypoet wrote:

Phil2 said:
Yes I agree on this, this movie is more like a tv-ad or 'tv home shopping' trying to sell us some stuff to buy ... the book is better ...
That's the sort of 'background' - process stuff while holding on to our own perspective. A book we can devour at our own pace, and we create our own images and soundtrack interpretations, more-so than a running movie that is someone else's audio and visual perspective / creative unfolding. It's just their opinion, their range of awareness, capacity & willingness on the topic. And in time / cost / benefit (practical) evaluation and assessment sometimes the treatments don't do the content justice, even the creator is disappointed at the limitations. Just like in life our awareness, capacity and willingness limitations often don't do justice to our creative opportunities either.

It just is limitation and selection - just like our lives. Art depicting life. Just like what we accept into our hearts and minds, there is an 'economy' of scale within our own system of 'value'. Open a little, or open a lot. Shop from a corner store, or from a warehouse.

Neale Donald Walsch spoke of his disappointment in the treatment of the Secret (movie) too. He was interviewed and spoke for 90 minutes or something (normal in filming) but only was shown for seconds (also often normal in filming a compilation of views). He was most disappointed that he was shown not saying the things he thought was most important about it that he had said in the interview. So he rang the Producers, and in the retelling was saying it wasn't ego, his disappointment was not egoic, not in the sense that he wanted to see more of himself in it, but because he was disappointed in the message that the movie was putting out.

Which is interesting, we do that with our lives too, and it actually is egoic - we think our perspective is the most important, we think our response is the response of the 'silent majority', the most sane and normal response.

It is another reality, that time is money in production, and there is - also like our lives - a plumb bob / of interpretation ---- how we would like to see things unfold, what we think is important, what we notice, what we highlight, what we remember, it's always egotistical!! It's always from our own perspective of experience. We can step back and be aware of that though. We can fully become the audience riding the wild ride knowing it is a creation.

As an audience member to NDW sharing his disappointment, I 'translated' and accepted his perspective that he wasn't egoically being a prima donna saying I was only in it for seconds, he was disappointed that his perspective wasn't fully embraced as the plumb bob - the 'line' of the presentation. It's a very common response from participants. Often what they think are the 'gems' are not the gems in the eye of another 'beholder'. Webby has that absolutely right.

The 'gems of authenticity' are the things that almost just fall out when one is not 'acting' in their role, when one lets their guard down. If the production is supportive of only one particular perspective and value set, only the things that best support that will make it in. Think here of any 'version' of the nightly news.

The beauty in film is that we have the luxury of re-shooting and editing and composition and selection. Life is not so neat.

I could understand NDW's disappointment that he wasn't portrayed and the topic wasn't portrayed in his image (imagining) perspective. We all have a different perspective of everything.

Goodness if I'd written / produced a thing on the LOA from my experiences, no one would ever want to play with it. From my judgements of others I have learned their perspective from the inside, intimately in experience. From my attention to what I did not understand I have come to understand in experience. The nice house etc pfffttt!! Although, I did create a wonderful parking space once :wink:

In my role as interviewer, I've had the absolute privilege of leaving my 'self' at the door and entering the dream world of others and allowing space for them to be authentic - to share their own visions, their own interpretations of events, their own gory/glory truths. It is a complete privilege to do this, to be allowed in, to understand more fully without having to live their experiences. Audiences can have a 'taste' of this privilege, if they view it in this way.

So my freak out excitement at the trailer ---- may the interviewers, editors, producers and crew hold the privilege of this opportunity sacred. As sacred as the human heart and every one of our unfolding stories. :D
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen