Sam Harris - An Atheist guide to Spirituality

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
smiileyjen101

Re: Sam Harris - An Atheist guide to Spirituality

Post by smiileyjen101 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:07 am

People ignore agnostics.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Agnostics likely don't mind if they do. :wink:
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com

KathleenBrugger

Post by KathleenBrugger » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:31 am

karmarider wrote:
karmarider wrote:I also participate on the Project Reason forum, which was started by Sam Harris. I learned there that atheism and agnostic are different claims. Atheism is about belief--"I don't believe God exists." Agnosticism is about knowledge--"I don't know whether God exists." (The word gnosis means knowledge.) So you can be an agnostic atheist! But I agree that anyone who claims 100% certainty that God doesn't exist is living in an unscientific fantasy world. All of human knowledge is limited. We don't know anything 100%.
What the word "God" refers to is probably important to define as well. If it's the conventional meaning of an external authority entity, I'm an atheist. If it is the ineffable intelligence which I see everywhere and especially in the feeling of I am, I'm a believer. If it's anything else, I'm agnostic.
Good point about the definition of "God." What I see a lot of atheists fighting against is the monotheistic God of the Bible, the meddling external deity. I don't believe in that God either!
karmarider wrote:
Those were great quotes you pulled out, karmarider.
That was Phil2's post but I agree they are good quotes.
Oops! Sorry Phil! Thank you!
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/

Mariposa

Post by Mariposa » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:54 am

Thank you for sharing this, I found it really refreshing. I have read "Free Will" by Sam Harris, and listened to him talking on Youtube, I like him, I was happy to find out he actually was aware of the mind, but I had never heard/read him going in depth about the topic like in this article.

I appreciate the link to his book excerpt too!!