Presence vs. Ego :: Who Wins?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
rachMiel

Presence vs. Ego :: Who Wins?

Post by rachMiel » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:48 pm

In presence, the ego is stilled. There's just not enough neural processing power left to re-create it, moment after moment, when the mind is fully with (attending to) "what is."

The ego template remains. And perhaps some ego-nurturing mental processes keep spinning away deep in the unconscious, where the monsters live.

But in presence the self is no longer steering the vehicle.

So, if you get an attack of ego flu, a big old tablespoon of presence is all you really need.

This is what I see on Thursday, October the sixteenth, 2014 CE.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Tigerspalm777

Re: Presence vs. Ego :: Who Wins?

Post by Tigerspalm777 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:02 am

Hello allow me to rant and give you pointers.

First off, zen buddhism and power of now are the same thing, but i use mostly zen terms.

The ego is your mind and your false self create with beliefs, and values and personality sheet.

Presence is being the stillness or emptiness, the perception, of thought. You become the awareness of your thoughts, not be your thought itself.

Basically until you have gotten a strong enough will power to be present, you may not realize that you identify with thought and that what ever knowledge or belief or idea of reality you have, is just the mind, the false self, the ego, seeking attachment and comfort to an idea or form or belief system.

How do "i" meditate ? I suppress my thoughts and just be focused on looking and perceiving, with out trying to analyze anything or speak an opinion or say anything. I essentially become the spacious, empty perceiver that is beyond thought emotion, body or mind.

I hope these pointers will help you find your true nature. We are all nothing. Emptiness.

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:22 pm

Tigerspalm777 wrote:The ego is your mind and your false self create with beliefs, and values and personality sheet.

Presence is being the stillness or emptiness, the perception, of thought. You become the awareness of your thoughts, not be your thought itself.

Basically until you have gotten a strong enough will power to be present, you may not realize that you identify with thought and that what ever knowledge or belief or idea of reality you have, is just the mind, the false self, the ego, seeking attachment and comfort to an idea or form or belief system.
Ja to all of the above, except perhaps "will power." To will something to happen -- to be present, for example -- is the false self forcing the mind to do something that does not come naturally to the mind. This, in turn, distorts the pure, primordial nature of the mind.
How do "i" meditate ? I suppress my thoughts and just be focused on looking and perceiving, with out trying to analyze anything or speak an opinion or say anything. I essentially become the spacious, empty perceiver that is beyond thought emotion, body or mind.
Ja again, and again with one consideration: Suppressing thoughts, like will power, is an act of forcing this instead of that state of being. This creates conflict, division, duality, etc. More effective imo is to allow the train of thoughts to keep rolling down the track ... but to not board the train.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:15 pm

Tigerspalm777 wrote:Basically until you have gotten a strong enough will power to be present, you may not realize that you identify with thought and that what ever knowledge or belief or idea of reality you have, is just the mind, the false self, the ego, seeking attachment and comfort to an idea or form or belief system.
The practice of presence has not been helpful for me. I tried it for about a year after reading Tolle. But I think what happens, at least in my experience, is that through thought I determine to be present, and presence occurs in the ego's space. Maybe that's a complcated way of saying that presence felt very boring and lifeless.

But other techniques (observing, observing thought, observing ego, Observing the sense of I am, observing that I don't exist) fostered the context of mind which Tolle calls presence. That feels effortless and full.
I hope these pointers will help you find your true nature. We are all nothing. Emptiness.
Well, there is consiousness. And, in my experience, the ego never goes away. Hangs around like a puppet.

Enlightened2B

Post by Enlightened2B » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:00 pm

Tigerspalm777 wrote:
True nature as opposed to false nature? If your nature is 'Being', then Being encompasses everything in existence and therefore there is nothing that you are not. The present moment is energy itself. It is every moment and you are every moment that ever existed or will exist. Therefore, there is no 'false nature'. That in itself creates a duality, as if to say....I am this, but I am not that.

In reality, consider instead, that we are everything. From the greater perspective, we are Pure Love/Awareness/Being. But fractals and fractals upon zooming in, we are people as well and zooming in even further, we are cells and particles. We are experiencing at every level of Being zooming in and zooming out, panning sideways to other objects and panning around to the universe itself. It's the experience of the same one Source energy that we are at the core experiencing at every possible level of being and experiencing through every physical and non-physical form of existence.

Therefore, there is no true.....as opposed to false nature. It's all true depending on the perspective. All perspectives are valid.

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:28 am

Tigerspalm said:

That seems like a pretty solid thought based belief to me :wink:

If you limit your experiences in line with your beliefs you can do nothing, allow nothing, that will contradict you.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen