How is life after self-realization?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Phil2

Re: How is life after self-realization?

Post by Phil2 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:59 pm

KathleenBrugger wrote: In est, (I did the est training 30+ years ago) there was a saying "coulda, woulda, shoulda," as a reminder that all three of those are mind-traps.
Interesting, and it can be observed that those "coulda, woulda, shoulda" are all 3 'conditional' verbal forms ... which means that they imply a condition ie. an 'IF' ... and this 'IF' says it all, it is an imagined, ideal situation different from 'what is' ... therefore a resistance to 'what is' replacing it by some kind of 'ideal' situation ... which IS NOT ...

ps: btw never heard of this 'est training' which stands for 'Erhard Seminars Training' as per wikipedia description below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erhard_Seminars_Training
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

KathleenBrugger

Post by KathleenBrugger » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:13 pm

Phil2 wrote:
KathleenBrugger wrote: In est, (I did the est training 30+ years ago) there was a saying "coulda, woulda, shoulda," as a reminder that all three of those are mind-traps.
Interesting, and it can be observed that those "coulda, woulda, shoulda" are all 3 'conditional' verbal forms ... which means that they imply a condition ie. an 'IF' ... and this 'IF' says it all, it is an imagined, ideal situation different from 'what is' ... therefore a resistance to 'what is' replacing it by some kind of 'ideal' situation ... which IS NOT ...

ps: btw never heard of this 'est training' which stands for 'Erhard Seminars Training' as per wikipedia description below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erhard_Seminars_Training
Nice observation about the conditional nature of those verbs and the IFFY quality of the thought behind them!

You got it right, the Erhard Seminars Training. It was started by this guy named Werner Erhard (not his real name actually) and it was fairly popular/notorious in the 1970s and 80s. The "training" was two weekends, and those were full days (part of the notoriety was the limited bathroom breaks). The main thrust of the training, imo, was teaching you to see that you had a story that you told about life, and that you confused this story with actual reality. Even with something so simple as walking. The trainer would get someone to describe how they walked. They'd say something like "first you pick up your right leg and swing it forward, then put it down, and then you pick up the left..." and the trainer would keep asking questions until it became obvious that we have no clue how we walk.

The end of the training was all about "This is IT." Very much in line with ET's "presence." This moment of now is all. It was a very valuable experience for me, the first experience I had like it, and I still use some things I learned there.

But Werner had some issues and everything fell apart at some point, I was over est by that time so I never learned much about the details.
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:33 am

In est, (I did the est training 30+ years ago) there was a saying "coulda, woulda, shoulda," as a reminder that all three of those are mind-traps
Our words can really reflect our thinking Kathleen. I was thinking again about the 'grace' and 'serenity' differences. Serenity for me is when all iscalm / becalmed. If I think about it in the Serenity prayer it's asking for something that is not - grant me the serenity to accept that which I cannot change.

So .. (maybe even just for me) serenity is an expression of energy arising from the bed, whereas 'grace' is the bed.
Grace is recognisably not 'generated' or desired - not by anything or one - but is the energetically recognisable 'is' under all the not calm or calm movement, and even under the serenity one might 'employ', if that makes sense.

Good catch on the 'if' Phil.

EST was a thing some of my friends did and some thought I 'shoulda, coulda, woulda' participated in it. It just seemed a little goofy and too prescriptive for me. I'd go into the mountains and come out far more 'awake' and 'peaceful' than my friends did from their EFT weekends they would be full of the 'drama' of 'it' :lol:

It was interesting reading your account Kathleen, because most I knew who did 'it' were still struggling with 'it'.

I tend to translate 'can't ' differently too - I feel can't is often used to mean I choose not to or you should choose not to. Instead ofI/you cannot implicitly.

Such things come into awareness when one is considering Be Impeccable with your word for instance. Being aware not just of what you are saying, but also what you are meaning.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen

KathleenBrugger

Post by KathleenBrugger » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:16 am

smiileyjen101 wrote:
In est, (I did the est training 30+ years ago) there was a saying "coulda, woulda, shoulda," as a reminder that all three of those are mind-traps
Our words can really reflect our thinking Kathleen. I was thinking again about the 'grace' and 'serenity' differences. Serenity for me is when all iscalm / becalmed. If I think about it in the Serenity prayer it's asking for something that is not - grant me the serenity to accept that which I cannot change.

So .. (maybe even just for me) serenity is an expression of energy arising from the bed, whereas 'grace' is the bed.
Grace is recognisably not 'generated' or desired - not by anything or one - but is the energetically recognisable 'is' under all the not calm or calm movement, and even under the serenity one might 'employ', if that makes sense.

Good catch on the 'if' Phil.

EST was a thing some of my friends did and some thought I 'shoulda, coulda, woulda' participated in it. It just seemed a little goofy and too prescriptive for me. I'd go into the mountains and come out far more 'awake' and 'peaceful' than my friends did from their EFT weekends they would be full of the 'drama' of 'it' :lol:

It was interesting reading your account Kathleen, because most I knew who did 'it' were still struggling with 'it'.

I tend to translate 'can't ' differently too - I feel can't is often used to mean I choose not to or you should choose not to. Instead ofI/you cannot implicitly.

Such things come into awareness when one is considering Be Impeccable with your word for instance. Being aware not just of what you are saying, but also what you are meaning.
Be impeccable with your word. That was such a powerful agreement for me. And I agree with you, its meaning goes far beyond the "keep your promises" surface meaning. For example, I would use to say "I didn't have time to do ______." Now I realize that is a lie, an implication that I'm just a passive witness of my life. Instead I say something like "I didn't get to it," or "it just wasn't high enough on my priority list." These are more accurate representations of what's going on.

For me serene just means grounded, not easily disturbed by anything. So in my meaning serenity is the bed, and grace is the flow of interaction with others.
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/