Is the Pain-Body an Entity?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Magpie

Is the Pain-Body an Entity?

Post by Magpie » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:24 pm

hey there, I know on these boards there can be a conceptualisation of Eckhart's wonderful teachings

Which can be a deadening, thing that we instinctively do, the part we are unconsciously automatically formulating, "spiritual" ideas

I wonder if this board is really thriving? or is there just a conceptual criss-crossing - intellectual "talk" - I may be wrong

I was wondering because, I see the past - this negativity, dark, thing in the background watching, and it made me really think - maybe the pain-body is Actually an entity?

Barry Long said to get rid of it , we starve it, it requires a diligence

But now there is this sinister quality - a demonic quality frankly, it's a constant battle - and I think my pain-body is quite big comparatively

Anyway I hope this thread gives me encouragement - which it hasn't in the past

The pain-body - this inner work

I'm observing it

anyway I'll just see

Webwanderer

Re: Is the Pain-Body an Entity?

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:46 pm

What 'you' truly believe about 'your' painbody will appear to be true. Personally, I give no thought to such a concept, only addressing it when it comes up in this forum. I don't see the concept as particularly helpful. Others may feel different, and if it serves them in some way so be it.

Thinking a lot about a 'painbody', or demons, only gives energy to the idea making it more real in our experience. As I don't want to be bothered by such creations, I just give them no credence should they arise and relegate them to just thoughts that are passing through. For those who may like to explore such notions as experiential, that's their choice. My sense is that there are a lot more interesting possibilities to explore.

WW

lmp

Post by lmp » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:13 pm

I think it's good you find the teachings wonderful.

I wonder however what you mean when you say encouragement, could you give a bit more details about that? Encouragement in what way?

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:33 am

For me the pain body is just a load of interpretations that are held solid around us in our belief system.

As if they are true.

We interpret stimuli, process it into our 'logic', what makes sense for us of a thing or situation and our brain holds to it until such time as stronger 'corrections' occur.

So if we taste broccoli when our tastes are immature and we have an adverse reaction to the taste we 'process' that information and 'decide' that broccoli is 'bad', or if we have a positive experience we 'decide' that broccoli is 'good'.
No amount of outside instructing will convince us that it is the reverse of our 'belief'.

If we have a life experience when our awareness and capacity in experience is immature and limited in perspectives of it, we will create and hold beliefs in the same way.

So for me, the 'pain body' is the body of beliefs that we hold and lug around with us and view the world through/with - some might call it 'baggage'.

Some look to some of this 'baggage' and with growth, or experience from a different angle of the thing, may see that it's not the bogey-man we thought it was, and so it disappears - we let go of the 'belief' we had about it and we stop lugging it around as a 'part of us'.

Is this inconsistent with your understanding of what ET has said about it Magpie?
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:14 am

Magpie wrote:maybe the pain-body is Actually an entity?
If you believe in it hard enough, it will be every bit as real to your mind as anything else. Perhaps realer.

I see it as a metaphor that can be helpful for getting a handle on the suffering that arises from memory of painful events in one's past.

If you're asking if it's an actual being, some kind of "ghost in the machine" ... I strongly doubt it. But whaddo I know?!
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Magpie

Post by Magpie » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:11 pm

lmp wrote:I think it's good you find the teachings wonderful.

I wonder however what you mean when you say encouragement, could you give a bit more details about that? Encouragement in what way?
I think I mean positivity, encouragement meaning being encouraged, to dissolve this negative base.

Magpie

Post by Magpie » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:15 pm

Webwanderer wrote:What 'you' truly believe about 'your' painbody will appear to be true. Personally, I give no thought to such a concept, only addressing it when it comes up in this forum. I don't see the concept as particularly helpful. Others may feel different, and if it serves them in some way so be it.

Thinking a lot about a 'painbody', or demons, only gives energy to the idea making it more real in our experience. As I don't want to be bothered by such creations, I just give them no credence should they arise and relegate them to just thoughts that are passing through. For those who may like to explore such notions as experiential, that's their choice. My sense is that there are a lot more interesting possibilities to explore.

WW
Belief isn't acknowledgement, the pain-body is an emotional entity(yes?), we are made of more than pure belief surely? mind-body are linked

Magpie

Post by Magpie » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:19 pm

rachMiel wrote:
Magpie wrote:maybe the pain-body is Actually an entity?
If you believe in it hard enough, it will be every bit as real to your mind as anything else. Perhaps realer.

I see it as a metaphor that can be helpful for getting a handle on the suffering that arises from memory of painful events in one's past.

If you're asking if it's an actual being, some kind of "ghost in the machine" ... I strongly doubt it. But whaddo I know?!
I'm surpised to see people stray from Eckhart's teachings, I read PON years ago, but every time I see him, he acts out the Gollum from LOTR, it''s the pain-body - it's quite clear? "memory of painful events" is negating the bodily experience,

Belief system, and emotion and pain

Magpie

Post by Magpie » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:22 pm

smiileyjen101 wrote:For me the pain body is just a load of interpretations that are held solid around us in our belief system.
The clue is in the definition - pain-body - pain

Pain comes before the belief? I don't know

lmp

Post by lmp » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:57 pm

Magpie wrote:

I think I mean positivity, encouragement meaning being encouraged, to dissolve this negative base.
The problem of the painbody is rather complex. If you are analytically inclined, going step by step, we can talk about it that way. If you are not interested in analysing it, then how are you tackling the problem at the moment?

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:09 pm

Magpie wrote:
Webwanderer wrote:What 'you' truly believe about 'your' painbody will appear to be true. Personally, I give no thought to such a concept, only addressing it when it comes up in this forum. I don't see the concept as particularly helpful. Others may feel different, and if it serves them in some way so be it.

WW
Belief isn't acknowledgement, the pain-body is an emotional entity(yes?), we are made of more than pure belief surely? mind-body are linked
Belief isn't acknowledgement? What is acknowledgement in this context if not an expression of belief?

Yes, we are certainly made of more than belief, but belief creates the context for experience. Mind and body are linked, but both are qualities within consciousness. Mind, and its belief structures, and body, as an expression of being, are the components that build perspective in this life experience.

The pain body in my view is not an entity. It is a storehouse of emotionally charged memories that underlie and influence perspective, and are susceptible to certain triggers that bring them to the surface of consciousness.

WW

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:42 pm

Magpie wrote:I'm surpised to see people stray from Eckhart's teachings,
Most people here agree with the essence of what Tolle says ... presence ... but many of us bring other perspectives to the table. It's a bit of a smorgasbord! :-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Magpie

Post by Magpie » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:44 pm

lmp wrote:
Magpie wrote:

The problem of the painbody is rather complex. If you are analytically inclined, going step by step, we can talk about it that way. If you are not interested in analysing it, then how are you tackling the problem at the moment?
I'm living my life. "And there's no time, to analyse"

Magpie

Post by Magpie » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:47 pm

Webwanderer wrote:
Magpie wrote:

WW
Belief isn't acknowledgement? What is acknowledgement in this context if not an expression of belief?

Yes, we are certainly made of more than belief, but belief creates the context for experience. Mind and body are linked, but both are qualities within consciousness. Mind, and its belief structures, and body, as an expression of being, are the components that build perspective in this life experience.

The pain body in my view is not an entity. It is a storehouse of emotionally charged memories that underlie and influence perspective, and are susceptible to certain triggers that bring them to the surface of consciousness.

WW
I don't sense presence in your words, you know

The pain-body is all the pain from birth

I'm not so sure

Magpie

Post by Magpie » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:49 pm

rachMiel wrote:
Magpie wrote:I'm surpised to see people stray from Eckhart's teachings,
Most people here agree with the essence of what Tolle says ... presence ... but many of us bring other perspectives to the table. It's a bit of a smorgasbord! :-)
What on earth is a smorgasbord?