Emotional Intelligence ?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Phil2

Re: Emotional Intelligence ?

Post by Phil2 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:01 pm

beginnersmind wrote:
How is not information key to spirituality?
Because what is key to spirituality is inner silence and peace and presence, which is beyond all in-form-ation ... beyond all forms ...

Ramana Maharshi used to say that silence was the greatest teacher ...
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

beginnersmind

Post by beginnersmind » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:36 pm

Phil2 wrote:
beginnersmind wrote:
How is not information key to spirituality?
Because what is key to spirituality is inner silence and peace and presence, which is beyond all in-form-ation ... beyond all forms ...

First of all Phil, you're answering your own conclusions rather than what I actually wrote. Second of all, if you were familiar with Ramana, you would know that he also continued to read and quote such spiritual scripture such as the Bhagavad Gita extensively in his teachings throughout his lifetime and spoke of yoga and meditation, not to mention the extensive use of Advaita Sanskrit conceptual terms/ideas.

There is a difference between intellect and/conceptual ideas being the end all in spirituality and dismissing the intellect and/or conceptual ideas as not being a key component on one's journey. Ramana did not practice such spiritual bypassing.

Eric

BTW If you were familiar with J. Krishnamurti and his talks, you would also know that it was not uncommon for him to become emotionally irritated and become impatient with people.

Eric

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:16 pm

beginnersmind wrote:
Phil2 wrote:
if you were familiar with Ramana, you would know that he also continued to read and quote such spiritual scripture such as the Bhagavad Gita extensively in his teachings throughout his lifetime and spoke of yoga and meditation, not to mention the extensive use of Advaita Sanskrit conceptual terms/ideas.
Ramana Maharshi said that he never read the Bhagavad Gita and other scriptures ... that all he knew of those was what he heard others say ... it seems he had a very good auditory memory ... and he did not praise very much those who read much ... 'library rats' as he called them ... he was happy not to have fallen in this 'trap' ...

Anyway it does not change the fact that he said silence was the greatest teaching ... this is a fact, no ?

??
(Carl Jung)

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:07 am

Hmmm

http://www.feedbooks.com/userbook/20908 ... gavad-gita

I don't know how Ramana could have translated 42 verses from Bhagavad Gita stating it's "essence" in this book, if he didn't read it?
Take what you like and leave the rest.

beginnersmind

Post by beginnersmind » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:43 am

Well djmart, the claim is made that Ramana did not actually read the Bhavagad Gita, while at the same time Ramana is said to have read these books.

Kaivalya Navaneeta, Shankara's Vivekachudamani, and Yoga Vasistha.

Whether the claim is true or not if Ramana never read the Gita, he did extensively quote the conceptual ideas and Sanskrit terminology in it and told specific stories from it citing specific chapters in doing so. So he must have had quite the memory.

This also doesn't change the confusion that intellect not being the end all is somehow synonymous that the intellect is not important.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:19 am

beginnersmind wrote:Thank you Onceler,

As far as NSR meditation, you can think of it as the poor man's transcendental meditation. Essentially the same thing, without the huge expense or religious dogma.

If I remember right, you have said that you practice Qigong. I've been practicing 10 symbols of longevity and have really been enjoying it. If you're interested, you can YouTube it. Anyone else that might be interested. I would recommend either taking some classes first, or if not possible, to really closely study the movements and breath work before trying them. It is very easy to practice bad posture in doing Qigong, thus negating what it is intended to do, along with improper breathing within each posture/movement that negates the release of chi.

Eric
Yeah, I do practice Qi Gong....Spring Forest. A bit of information I got on this website which has been very meaningful to me. It is my main form of meditation and helps with aches and pains. A day with Qi Gong is always a much better day.
Be present, be pleasant.

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:07 am

Jus tickly funny.... (let me lighten it up :wink: ) why would he break the silence to say that?

So.... I'm confused - it's not hard I know - whether Ramana, whoever he may be, read a book and regurgitated the information in it, or heard information from the book from others sharing the information in it.... did he come to the conclusion and reiterate information from the book that silence is the greatest teacher..... or did he hear /read or not read, that information and figure that silence was the greater teacher?

:?

And regardless of Ramana's experience of learning - Phil --- did you learn this from information from / shared by Ramana and others (like ET, like Don Miguel Ruiz & others) or did you just magically learn in the silence of no information yourself and would have known it if you had known no thing but silence?

For me silence is more the bit where all the information finds its balance and is absorbed, but if one is absolutely honest- or rather if I am to be absolute honest, I don't think I've ever had an original lesson that had its origin, be all and end all in silence itself, it all came through the absorption of information either in first hand experience building on information from others and from other experiences - silence is the end point of absorbing information into awareness,,,, for me... I think... maybe ... :wink:

Or is this another thing that you don't mean literally?

If silence was the greatest teacher and Ramana knew this --- why would he say anything or quote anything or teach anyone with anything but silence? (be patient with me... :wink: )
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:32 am

smiileyjen101 wrote:
If silence was the greatest teacher and Ramana knew this --- why would he say anything or quote anything or teach anyone with anything but silence? (be patient with me... :wink: )
No, Ramana just answered questions which were asked to him, and oftentimes his answer was only silence ... he didn't want to teach anything, he said that if people did not come to see him he would be very happy to remain in peace and silence (which he did actually for many years when he retreated in aloneness and samadhi meditation in a cave of Tiruvannamalai in South India) ... he was not looking for disciples at all ...
(Carl Jung)

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:50 pm

beginnersmind wrote: Whether the claim is true or not if Ramana never read the Gita, he did extensively quote the conceptual ideas and Sanskrit terminology in it and told specific stories from it citing specific chapters in doing so. So he must have had quite the memory.
Well Ramana was living in India and answered to the people who came to him in the language and with the concepts and symbols those people were familiar with ... when Western Christians came to see him he often made references to the Bible, when Muslims came he spoke of the Quran and the imperative to totally 'surrender' to God ... but he always pointed to what was 'beyond' the symbols ... which is the fact of 'being' ie. consciousness (which he called the 'Self' or 'Atman' in the Advaita/Vedanta language) ... which is the silent background of all manifested forms ... and of course the method to reach this silent background is to ask the question "WHO am I ?" which as he said is the "sword that can cut the illusion of ego" ...

He often compared consciousness to the screen of the movie in a theatre, whatever forms appear on the screen, there might be scenes of war, violence, explosions and cataclysms, at the end of the movie the screen is left untouched and unchanged ... this is the nature of consciousness ...
(Carl Jung)

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:52 am

Phil2 wrote:What we discuss here is not that much important finally ... it is all intellectual stuff ... what is important is the way we experience it ... our emotions that those discussions trigger inside ... as long as we are ready to fight or struggle to defend opinions or beliefs, to 'make points', to be right and make others wrong, then it is a sure sign of emotional (and spiritual) immaturity ... and we have seen some examples here ... and elsewhere too ...

And in this respect, each of us is fully 100 % responsible for the way we experience our own life ... there can be no freedom when our experience depends on others, or when we blame others because they are not as we expect them to be ...

But when we bring personal identities in the discussions, when we defend our self image, beliefs and opinions, taking things personally, when we want to feed our ego by 'making points', being right and make others wrong, bringing endless arguments, then our discussions become heavy and conflictual ... there is no lightness and no light in this ...

Some good humour is needed too ...

:)
We have now a nice living illustration of what was said in the OP in the discussion about Tom Campbell

http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... 13&t=13040

:)
(Carl Jung)

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:45 pm

I failed to see evidence of your humour in it Phil :(
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com