A practical question about meditation and studying

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

A practical question about meditation and studying

Postby Lazypoet » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:22 pm

So, here goes another ramble.

I'm studying the french language, exams is coming up. I feel like language learning is a mind based thing, like you will systemise words and conjugations in a mind net, if you know what I mean.

Also the study is quite far away so I take the train every day 40 minutes. Anyway I feel a bit lost in stress, and when I meditate I somehow fear that it will make me passive and that I won't study as hard. Meaning that if I meditate I will sink down into a very peaceful state and not get things done.

Is that a correct assumption,

And is this a topic somehow not talked about, when should one NOT meditate?

Maybe people are missing out on productivity because they sink so low down into themselves that they are just happy and peaceful,

and meanwhile their work remains untouched?
Lazypoet

Re: A practical question about meditation and studying

Postby Webwanderer » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:22 pm

Meditation is key to alignment through stilling the mind. But it is also a vehicle for contemplation. The subject of that contemplation is a matter of choice. Well ideally. Conditioning and emotional energy can have its own agenda. But lets not get sidetracked off your original question.

When in meditation, you can energize certain behaviors - like study or work, or most anything else. If you imagine yourself enjoying study, being successful at study, you will energize your fundamental inclination to do so. If on the other hand, you meditate and focus on the fear of becoming complacent, you will energize that and create the inclination to be complacent. (Aside: You are not actually doing the energizing, but rather creating the template through which natural life energy flows.)

Experiment with a focus on imagining that which you desire as a studier. Feel it in your imagination. Meanwhile, give no credence to your fears of complacency. Let them die out of neglect. See how this restructuring of mind affects your life experience.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Onceler » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:13 am

I've found that as my fear and anxiety have diminished gradually over time, I sometimes have a hard time motivating myself, as I used to rely on fear to motivate me. It wasn't a very good motivator and was very unpleasant, but I generally got things done. Now, I'm sometimes so in the moment and stress free that I really have to focus to get my work done. On the other hand, there are times when the work just seems to happen and it's just enjoyable to be in the middle of the process. I think there is a period of adjustment to living with greatly diminished anxiety. Either way, stuff still gets done, sometimes to my amazement.

I know this isn't directly talking about meditation, but my life often feels like a moving meditation. There are times when awareness goes inward and holds its breath and other times awareness is lost in the panting of life. You will probably have times of low productivity, but I think that this happens with or without mediation. Meditation, flow, whatever you want to call it, enriches life and adds depth and a vibe.....even when you're 'in the weeds', as we used to say in restaurant work. As WW wisely said, be careful where you focus your attention. That will tend to be your reality.....certainly, at least, for that moment, but maybe a whole lot longer.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Lazypoet » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:46 pm

I also used to let fear motivate me. Recently there is some fear in me, about jobs and those sort of things.. Career choices.

This time around however I find the fear rather paralysing.
Lazypoet

Postby DavidB » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:58 pm

Lazypoet wrote:This time around however I find the fear rather paralysing.

We learn the fear response from a very early age, from our parents, siblings, peers, movies, TV etc. We have come to believe that fear is a natural response. If it were true that fear is a natural response, then we would all always experience the same fear in the same situations. We know from experience, that exposure therapy helps to diminish fear, such as in cases of phobia.

If we can come to realize living without fear is our natural state of being, we realize fear is an illusion, it has no power over us.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby Lazypoet » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:07 pm

Thank you! :)

So if I removed every thought I had about not having a job.

Would it help me find a job, or make me so happy even without a job that I wouldn't work to find one..

Stupid question, I guess.. :D
Lazypoet

Postby Webwanderer » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:44 pm

Lazypoet wrote:So if I removed every thought I had about not having a job.

Would it help me find a job, or make me so happy even without a job that I wouldn't work to find one..

Not necessarily. What will help is to focus on that which you enjoy about working, what is fun in the search for a job or career. Be more pro-active in your attention about what you want your life to feel like.

What matters most is energizing that which you prefer. The feeling of fear and concern energizes that which you don't want simply because it is a matter of your focus of that type of feeling attention and the natural energy that flows into whatever you focus upon at any given time. Focus on that which feels like joy and happiness and that is where energy flows. You get more of it naturally. Focus on fear and concern and you get more of that.

We are all naturally creative. The universe simply assists us in manifesting that which we focus upon and feel most clearly about.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Lazypoet » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:40 pm

THANK YOU :)
Lazypoet

Return to General Discussion