Do things get worse before they get better?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
blissrunn14

Do things get worse before they get better?

Post by blissrunn14 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:09 pm

For the first time in my life I have put all focus and effort into learning how to deny and beware of thought and live in the present (as best I can). It is the most important thing to me as I've found at this point in my life nothing else has worked. Since doing this and noticing small improvements inwardly such as experiencing a background stillness and peace sometimes that was not their before and reacting a little less to stress and hard life situations I've noticed that things have gone from bad to worse in my life situation. I am experiencing a cluster of extremely hard life situations all at once more so then any other period of my life and I find it ironic it is happening at the same instance that I am embarking on a journey to become spiritually aware. Sometimes I wonder if something in this world is trying to make me stop. I want to know if anyone has discovered that life gets harder before it gets better when you're truly seeking spiritual awakening and getting to know God, is there a connection to this?

I really want to deal with all of this correctly without panicking, complaining and searching for outside sources of comfort so that I can pass through it a better person and with a better life.

Webwanderer

Re: Do things get worse before they get better?

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:27 am

Sometimes it seems to get worse, but it's more likely that the desire for things to be better just creates a stronger contrast with the challenges of the present. I recommend caution in your journey to become spiritually aware. Not that it's not a good choice, it is. The consideration is that difficult conditions don't always disappear easily and desires for a better, more aware, experience can be frustrating. We can create all kinds of limiting ideas like lack of worthiness and self condemnation.

That's all nonsense of course. We are extensions of Source Itself. Our worth stems from that origin and nothing our ego perspective can create can change that fundamental reality. Our waking up simply brings back some of that realization. The course I recommend is discovering the value of appreciation and joy in life. The higher energy of such feelings are more like our true nature and will help with our conscious alignment with that fundamental essence. So look for ways to feel better, to feel love, to feel joy, to feel appreciation. The benefits are life changing.

Current conditioning will bring up old crap until that conditioning is replaced with that that will make the best of things rather than something less and more painful. Either way, don't get lost in what arises. Simply choose a meaning for events that makes them the best you can. Your feelings will guide you. To the degree something feels painful it is an indication that the way you are seeing things is out of alignment with your true nature. To the degree life events feel uplifting and insightful and inspiring, it is an indication of a closer alignment. It's that simple.

You decide what any event or condition means to you. How it feels tells you something of your alignment with the part of you that sees clearly. There's no condemnation here, only information. Condemnation of self or others feels worse than acceptance and love. That's the way it works. Making the choice of meanings that bring peace to events and conditions is the path to clarity and to a really great life experience. Enjoy life. It's your choice.

WW

sardinelover

Post by sardinelover » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:35 pm

blissrunn14 wrote: Since doing this and noticing small improvements inwardly such as experiencing a background stillness and peace sometimes that was not their before and reacting a little less to stress and hard life situations I've noticed that things have gone from bad to worse in my life situation.
Don't confuse your life situation(external) with what is going on inside you(internal).

When you are awakened, then internally, things immediately get better, even if your life situation(external) falls apart. Whether you are homeless, or live in a mansion, your internal state is always the same: at peace.

When you are awakened and your internal state is stable, you can deal with anything, without fear or negativity. When you are unconscious and your internal state is not stable, then your actions will be driven by fear and negativity.

If you have truly awakened then suffering stops, because from the outset, you are okay(internally) with everything in your life situation.
Relax your face

blissrunn14

Post by blissrunn14 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:12 pm

I am not awakened I'm on a journey seeking it. I have just noticed small improvements in myself. I still suffer just a little bit less now. I would love to have no fear when facing external hardship but it's hard especially with small children who's welfare I am also responsible for.

My question is though, has anyone noticed a correlation between truly seeking what's right and beginning to wake up and external circumstances suddenly becoming very noticeably more challenging?

tomtom1

Post by tomtom1 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:01 am

blissrunn14 wrote:I am not awakened I'm on a journey seeking it. I have just noticed small improvements in myself. I still suffer just a little bit less now. I would love to have no fear when facing external hardship but it's hard especially with small children who's welfare I am also responsible for.

My question is though, has anyone noticed a correlation between truly seeking what's right and beginning to wake up and external circumstances suddenly becoming very noticeably more challenging?
Yes I have experienced this myself. When I look back though I have found suffering and hardship to be quite transformative. It makes you sit up and take notice.

blissrunn14

Post by blissrunn14 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:08 am

Last edited by blissrunn14 on Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

blissrunn14

Post by blissrunn14 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:11 am

Thank you, I have a friend who said it happened to them too. As soon as they started waking up their outer world hit rock bottom and then their life totally transformed for the better complete turnaround. They told me this happens and I'll be okay. I wanted to know if others have experienced this. maybe I'm looking for validation because I'm scared as hell right now.

Yes, I have noticed it does make me much more aware of myself and my faults. One side says if I bare it correctly I'll come out stronger then ever another side says I'm kidding myself and my life is over. I do feel a lot of fear and I'm trying to just relax in it and except my situations.

beginnersmind

Post by beginnersmind » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:59 am

blissrunn14 wrote:I am not awakened I'm on a journey seeking it.
My advice, don't seek it, because you'll just end up chasing the conceptual idea that you have built up in your mind, which in turn you'll never find.

blissrunn14

Post by blissrunn14 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:17 am

beginnersmind wrote:
My advice, don't seek it, because you'll just end up chasing the conceptual idea that you have built up in your mind, which in turn you'll never find.
I'm not sure what you mean by that. If I don't seek it I'll just stay the same, miserable and unhappy and terrorized by my thoughts. If I didn't seek I wouldn't have found things that have helped me like meditation and learning about being present etc... How can a person get better if they don't seek it? One thing I have done however, is let go of conceptual ideas. I just want peace and I seek understanding how to become at peace in what ever way it is "supposed" to come. I don't even know what, where or who God is, but I want to know.

tomtom1

Post by tomtom1 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:21 am

blissrunn14 wrote:
beginnersmind wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by that. If I don't seek it I'll just stay the same, miserable and unhappy and terrorized by my thoughts. If I didn't seek I wouldn't have found things that have helped me like meditation and learning about being present etc... How can a person get better if they don't seek it? One thing I have done however, is let go of conceptual ideas. I just want peace and I seek understanding how to become at peace in what ever way it is "supposed" to come. I don't even know what, where or who God is, but I want to know.
Seek truth, not enlightenment.

blissrunn14

Post by blissrunn14 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:27 am

What's the difference? I seek both and pretty much consider them the same thing. I just want to wake up out of this hell on earth I've lived my entire life. I just want to wake up and be as I'm supposed to be. I have experienced waking up for brief periods then slipped back into hell. I don't want to be in hell anymore. Being awake to me means seeing truth, it's the same thing. I don't have a conception of what enlightenment is and don't seek to be like anyone else. I know enlightenment (being awake) exists because I've experienced it first hand and I want to be like that permanently.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:24 pm

blissrunn14 wrote: I just want to wake up out of this hell on earth I've lived my entire life. I just want to wake up and be as I'm supposed to be. I have experienced waking up for brief periods then slipped back into hell. I don't want to be in hell anymore. Being awake to me means seeing truth, it's the same thing.
We experience life through our beliefs. Change beliefs and our life experience changes accordingly. Our emotions and feelings reveal much of the nature of our beliefs. If we are in emotional pain, it's because we believe something in a way that creates resistance to what is. So what to do?

Explore thoughts as a reflection of what something means to you. Great leaps in changing beliefs is generally difficult. The gap is simply too wide and conditioning too strong. Rather look to the meaning you apply to little things. When you feel emotional pain experiment with changing the meaning/belief that you are holding. Look for a meaning that relieves pain or brings peace. Don't argue with yourself over whether it's true or not. Every belief is a truth to the one holding it - or it wouldn't be a belief. It helps to perceive events and conditions from a greater perspective. One that sees our human life as an exploration of unique experience from a wise and loving soul.

Look for value in all experience. It's there if you choose to look for it. Learn to appreciate more. Every day there are thousands of things to appreciate. Live more in the awareness of them. Live less in the condemnation of your circumstances. One path leads to happiness. The other leads to more pain. It's really that simple, and the sooner you set your path in the direction of appreciation, of seeing value in life, the sooner your life will turn towards joy and happiness. It's a life long endeavor. We are surrounded by challenges and influence towards meanings of negativity. Adopt them at your own peril. But you know that in your own experience now.

It doesn't have to be that way. Surround yourself, and ingest uplifting and inspiring material through reading, listening, watching, conversing and choice of meaning. This will eventually change the automatic negative reactions that you are experiencing now. Don't condemn or beat up on yourself when you have them. It's just programming, and programming is what you are deciding to change. So give yourself a break and recognize that the meaning you have applied is the reason for your pain and change it to seeing what value is there - and then appreciate that value.

Again it's a long term change in life focus. The good news is that as you refocus your attention on appreciation, life itself will come to your aid in bringing more conditions to appreciate. You can get on a role that will completely change your life experience. What have you got to lose other than your pain and life of hell? It's really as simple as a choice. Beliefs are malleable. Apply meanings that work for you, that bring you peace and joy. Live in appreciation of the system itself and all experience will be transformed.

WW

blissrunn14

Post by blissrunn14 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:47 pm

What do you mean by appreciation? Appreciate what?

I don't mean that to sound rude, can you tell me what you mean?

By beliefs do you mean believing what my head tells me about what's going on?

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:59 pm

blissrunn14 wrote:What do you mean by appreciation? Appreciate what?
What do you like in life? What brings a smile to your face? What gives you a moments peace?

Right now, just where your sitting, look around and see something, anything, that you are glad is there. Maybe the computer you have your hands on. Are you glad you have it? Appreciate that it's there and that it opens worlds to you that would not be available without it. The interactions you have in this forum. Isn't in good that someone you don't even know wishes you well? Appreciate that. You don't have to say thanks, although you could. It's more important that you just know there are people who care enough about others to offer some pointers that may be of help. Simply rest for a moment knowing that there is good in the world and that you recognize it.

How about the chair you sit in? Would you rather be standing? Appreciate for a moment that you are surrounded by things that make your life a bit more comfortable. Look out the window. Is there not one thing out there that contains beauty? A bird? A flower? A child happily playing? Appreciate that these things are there to share a moment with.

It can be like that in most everything you see. Do you like music. Listen to something you like and appreciate that it is available and that it makes you feel good.

The point is is to notice what feeling appreciation does for your life experience. Appreciation is a form of unconditional love that is available to anyone to flow through our body and consciousness. Genuine appreciation just feels great. It asks nothing in return and only gives uplifting energy. Don't take my word. Experiment. Commit a day or a week, hell, even a couple of hours to explore the value of appreciation and how it effects you life experience.

Even moments of difficulty can be appreciated for the things they teach us about ourselves and our conditioned reactions. Those lessons can be turned into valuable insights that change the way we interact with life's conditions. You are far more powerful an entity than you give yourself credit for. But with a little effort and insightful observation, you can discover your power to recreate your experience. Give it a shot. Explore. Experiment. What else have you got to do that is more important than setting you life on a path towards happiness?

Also notice that I did not say gratitude. That is different and distinct from appreciation. Gratitude is a response. Appreciation is a gift - to yourself mostly, but to life in general, and it makes for a wholly different relationship to conditions in life relative to gratitude.

WW

blissrunn14

Post by blissrunn14 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:05 pm

Wow. It's never occurred to me to place some focus on the little things that are nice. I've always put all my focus on the negative so much so I don't even know if I know how to appreciate. I like that though, I'm going to practice that today. If I can focus on what's wrong why not also focus on what's right ha. Thank you for that.