How does a person awaken?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
blissrunn14

How does a person awaken?

Post by blissrunn14 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:22 pm

How does a person awaken, become enlightened, become born again what ever you call it? How does someone do this?

Is it something you "do" or wait to "happen"?

I have been curious of what an ego is for months. One day a few weeks ago while I was going through extremely severe inner pain dealing with an ex partner I got on my knees and asked God to help me. Then I sat down and meditated. I clearly saw my thoughts rising out of nothing and disappearing into nothing. Then I saw an energy (pain) rise out of nothing in my lower belly and settle in my chest (following a disturbing thought). I didn't just feel it, I saw it, I also saw it wasn't me, but just a mass of energy moving in me. As soon as I saw this it left. Everything I was worried about left, I didn't care about any of it at all. I saw how insignificant it all was and felt so whole and blissful I didn't need my ex to love nor did I care what he did or didn't do. I didn't need it. I saw my ego and as soon as I saw it, I received relief. Is that being born again? If so how does a person stay that way. I will never forget what I saw, but I feel one with my thoughts and emotions again. I am not detached from them like that day. Is being detached what being born again is? And how does a person be that way all the time? I didn't do it that day, it just happened.

blissrunn14

Re: How does a person awaken?

Post by blissrunn14 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:11 pm

I ask God these questions too. But, I don't know who God is, where he is or what he is so I'm not quite sure what I'm talking to when I ask. Just kind of hoping and waiting.

lmp

Post by lmp » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:22 pm

I'm not trying to be clever or knowledgeable, I just sympathise with your experience. Because we are so certain that we have problems, and are not detached from them as you wrote, we also think that we are the ones who own or has freedom, bliss, love. Love is so beautiful so we spontaneously want to keep it just as it is now, or the way it was that moment some time ago. But when we deny love its freedom to change it vanishes instead and we are left with the desire for what is now a memory. One can neither find nor keep what is, trying to maintain the love would be the same as not understand its living nature. Perhaps you can ask what it is now, as you said 'you didn't do it', it was of its own making. We tend to think that love now is the same way as when we last saw it, if you see what I mean.

It is said 'god works in mysterious ways', I think the experience you are looking for again also works like that.

blissrunn14

Post by blissrunn14 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:26 pm

In other words you mean that although those experiences felt good that doesn't mean that what I am experiencing now is any less valuable it just may not feel or look the same to me while going through it? My father said something like that to me.

lmp

Post by lmp » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:38 am

When you had the experience you wrote about in your first post would you say it's true that at that moment the experience was so interesting that there was no desire for something else. Those moments were enough, because there was wholeness and bliss.

you wrote:
"I clearly saw my thoughts rising out of nothing and disappearing into nothing."

What can you remember about the quality of the seeing/observation itself, not the thoughts but the seeing of them? Did it not expand, become important, valuable, meaningful? The bliss/wholeness does awaken in the seeing, not in the thought that is seen.

So if there is a depressed thought, it is not the thought that changes but it is in the seeing of it that the change takes place. Meditation, for instance, is looking (into something) is it not?

DavidB

Post by DavidB » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:36 am

Hi blissrunn14,

That is an amazing experience you had, how fortunate that you discovered the truth of human existence through something seemingly so tragic. That's how it works more often than not, that we get to a point of intense suffering before we realize that the world that the mind creates, is an illusion.

How does a person awaken? A person doesn't awaken.

All of these terms such as, enlightenment, awakening, transcendence, are all misleading. If you don't understand what these terms mean, then they will always become obstacles to what you are needing to achieve. Simply because all of these terms lead a person to mistakenly get the impression that liberation is something we can get in a future moment when certain criteria has been fulfilled. They all give the impression that at the moment there is something wrong, or not quite right about who we are, and with some sort of mystical practice we can become or fulfill something else much more desirable. This is of course completely false and will lead to further suffering.

We are of course at our essence already pure consciousness, so there is absolutely nothing we need do or achieve in that regard. So from this perspective we are all already completely and utterly perfect and divine. When we understand this, the absurdity of terms I described before become obvious. You cannot become what you already are. This attempt to become enlightened, awakened, transcendent, will only move us deeper into delusion, as we attempt to achieve what is already a reality.

The only work we do as a human entity in this regard, is to move into alignment with the nature of consciousness, and that is to bring into the human experience, conscious awareness.

Conscious awareness is actually quite easy in fact. It simply means doing everything one step at a time, being present in the work that we do.

The ego is a term we use to describe the mind without conscious awareness. When we mistakenly identify with the mind and forget our essence as consciousness, we become dysfunctional, which invariably results in suffering, as you had already become aware of, when the mind had convinced you that you could not live without the love of your ex partner, which when exposed to the light of conscious awareness, was found to be completely false.

These revelations will occur through your life, some of which you have already experienced, so don't worry if you feel as though you don't understand yet. Becoming conscious is a life long journey. :)
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

blissrunn14

Post by blissrunn14 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:51 am

lmp wrote:
So if there is a depressed thought, it is not the thought that changes but it is in the seeing of it that the change takes place. Meditation, for instance, is looking (into something) is it not?
Yes, I agree it's the seeing of it that makes the change. But, I don't seem to be able to control when I can see or not see aka become detached. And unfortunately, I'm always always one with my thoughts and emotions not detached. I want to see them clearly and have that bliss.

blissrunn14

Post by blissrunn14 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:59 am

Last edited by blissrunn14 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

blissrunn14

Post by blissrunn14 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:02 am

@david

Yes it was an illusion, and when I woke up in that instance I saw that illusion and was released from the torment and pain.

But, I did nothing it just happened. And I don't know how to become that way again and STAY that way.

I'm assuming when someone stays that way for good they are born again. It feels like crossing over (something), but I fall back into how I am now.

DavidB

Post by DavidB » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:56 am

It took a life time until now for you to learn dysfunctional behavior.

Sometimes people suffer so acutely that they have a spontaneous awakening, such as Eckhart Tolle, but this is not the rule, it is the exception. For the rest of us whom are inclined to work on our selves to gain awakening, it takes time and sometimes, a little effort. We need to undo the insanity that we learned as we grew up. This takes time, it takes maturing. As a child learns to take its first steps before walking, conversely undoing the dysfunctional behavior we leaned is a process of unlearning.

Don't add an extra layer of delusion by expecting that you will be "awakened" overnight, for the most part, this will be a long journey. Enjoy and accept the moment you are in NOW, that is all that is required, everything else will emerge on it's own. This is not something you can make happen, awakening happens on its own. All you need to do is allow yourself to be and do whatever you are and wherever you are right now, that is enough.

Don't try and recover what you experienced. This will only lead you into further delusion. Simply be grateful that you were able to glimpse a reality that you were previously unaware existed. Trust me, the process is a good process, and we all journey through it differently, so trust the process of awakening and allow it to unfold on its own.

The awakened consciousness is a consciousness of unconditional love, but love without trust is not love at all, so trust that the universe will provide for you whatever it is that you need.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

lmp

Post by lmp » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:44 am

blissrunn14 wrote:
lmp wrote:
Yes, I agree it's the seeing of it that makes the change. But, I don't seem to be able to control when I can see or not see aka become detached. And unfortunately, I'm always always one with my thoughts and emotions not detached. I want to see them clearly and have that bliss.
I know. If there was a how to do it I would tell you. It's more like what we do when we want long hair, we just don't cut it, we might trim it a bit or take care of it thats all, but it happens on its own. As they say, the seeing is part of what we are, not what we do, we don't need to do anything for it to be. The first negative reaction to that may be that it is useless, the positive reaction may be that it's possible for everybody.

What we do do however is deny the seeing as the most important factor, which you also rightly say, we deny it by (the major activity being) attachment to what is seen.

So those are the basics and we agree so far. Then comes the terrible/interesting/difficult question: what to do.

This is what people write books about, meditate about for years, go to india...

I can't tell you what to do, but if youre already doing something I can possibly speed it up a bit, just like the other kind folks here can. To me however, strong interest in understanding the thoughts/emotions is how the bliss comes about, it is built into the right attention/understanding to the problem.