What does 'awakening'/'enlightenment' mean to you?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
EnterZenFromThere

What does 'awakening'/'enlightenment' mean to you?

Post by EnterZenFromThere » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:18 pm

Hello!

I was fascinated to see the responses in a recent thread about what 'spirituality' means to the members of this community. Along the same lines, I was wondering what 'awakening' and/or 'enlightenment' mean to you. I'd love to hear your answers to these questions:

1) What do these words mean to you?
2) Do they mean the same thing or are there differences? If there are differences, what are they?
3) What were the main inspirations to you in coming to these conclusions? (e.g. specific teachers or life experiences that have informed your beliefs).

I'm very curious to read the answers!

Jack

rachMiel

Re: What does 'awakening'/'enlightenment' mean to you?

Post by rachMiel » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:43 pm

Awakening is the deepening understanding that things are never quite what they seem.

Enlightenment is what Zen monks do (allegedly). ;-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

alex

Post by alex » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:43 pm

I am. I am this. I am so beautifully this. This is not separate from anything, this contains all the world. I do not hold happiness in higher esteem than sadness, nor light than dark. I am this and everything is welcome at my table.
To live this - that's the part that is still unfolding. The integration of the realisation that there is no end point, just continual non-resistance to what is. Abiding peace. Eternal surrender.

lmp

Post by lmp » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:51 pm

Psychologically we operate dualistically, enlightenment is the insight which dispels this duality and it is the non-dualistic operative mode that follows.

I would make no difference between the two words.

I would say the main inspirations have been j Krishnamurti, Rupert Spira, Timothy Freke, the members of the KFA-forum and two friends of mine. I could mention a long list of names that I have also benefited a great deal from but perhaps more on specific points than as a long term study, let's say there would be 25 more names, I don't know. I would also express gratitude to 20 years of various spiritual experiences and a great deal of fear and pain. I must thank nature for freedom, love and friendship. My kids too.

DavidB

Post by DavidB » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:03 pm

They both mean the same thing to me, to be and live with authenticity as a healthy functional human being.

Nothing special really, simply living without psychosis or neurosis, and enjoying life to its fullest. :)

My main inspiration is Eckhart Tolle, naturally. But also many other inspiring characters such as Clint Eastwood, Christopher Hitchens, Jung, Ayn Rand, Nassim Haramein, Viktor Frankl, Tony Parsons and many more too numerous to mention.

I must thank my partner Peg for always being so loving, generous and accepting, she taught me all of these and more. The main thing though that caused me to search for the truth of human existence was essentially having a nervous breakdown at 21. This caused so much suffering and anxiety that I literally was desperate to find a way to end the suffering. Little did I know at the time though, that this would lead me to where I am now, 25 years later.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

coriolis

Post by coriolis » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:06 pm

alex wrote:I am. I am this. I am so beautifully this. This is not separate from anything, this contains all the world. I do not hold happiness in higher esteem than sadness, nor light than dark. I am this and everything is welcome at my table.
To live this - that's the part that is still unfolding. The integration of the realisation that there is no end point, just continual non-resistance to what is. Abiding peace. Eternal surrender.
What alex said, as nearly as words can come, is what "awakening/enlightenment" (momentarily assuming there really could be such a "thing") is in my completely unqualified opinion.
Look deeply inside yourself and try to find yourself.
The ensuing failure is the true finding
---- Wu Hsin

blissrunn14

Post by blissrunn14 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:33 pm

They mean the same thing to me and what I believe is truly meant by being born again in Christianity. To me it means dis-identifying from the mind or ego in a permanent sense.