Is everyone here anxious?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
NateDeezy

Is everyone here anxious?

Post by NateDeezy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:30 am

Is everyone here just pretty much a product of increased level of anxiety? I feel like I'd be extremely hard pressed to find someone on here who's not anxious, in fact I'd be willing to bet that everyone on here would classify themselves as anxious. Like when push comes to shove, I feel like I have, and always will have a brain that has a tendency toward increased anxiety and fear. For example, I've used a dating site before and when I talk to someone through texting, it's cool, but when it's time to meet, or not even that, when meeting even gets brought up, I get anxiety that's on par with someone realizing they're about to be in a car crash. It's seriously horrible. Anyways, do you guys on here just think that we all just have some brain condition that causes increased anxiety/fear, like perhaps a larger than average amygdala? Like if our condition manifested in some other form of the body, say an increased boob on one side or something, we'd be totally different, no!? And we'd never go on a "spiritual" journey. Like since it seems like the problem is hereditary and we were born with it, will it always be there? Or if we had a condition that made an increase in the area of the brain that kicked out oxytocin, and we'd be the most outgoing and loving people who felt barely any fear and would never have contemplated any of the things that Eckhart Tolle has or we do.

I ask because if it's a physical condition, and it seems like it would be bc taking certain drugs (chemicals) makes us feel differently. And in one instance, the physical condition creates a person with high amounts of fear that cause some to seek and sometimes become very spiritual people, while others have a brain that that favors sociopathy, and act kind of the opposite. So is spirituality no different than sociopaths being horrible people, in the sense that we're both simply following the natural tendency of the brain we've been given?

DavidB

Re: Is everyone here anxious?

Post by DavidB » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:52 am

No, I don't have anxiety, but I most certainly used to have chronic anxiety, and I also definitely can relate to most of the symptoms you mention.

I'd say that more accurately, I am a 'highly sensitive person'. This natural high sensitivity causes me to experience life much more deeply and personally than the average human, which can often times complicate matters. It used to complicate my life terribly, but now I find the opposite is true, it makes my life extremely rich and rewarding. :D

It might be worthwhile checking out this website:

http://hsperson.com/
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

far_eastofwest

Post by far_eastofwest » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:34 am

i dont and haven't had anxiety
http://www.therapytoday.net/article/show/4644/

this might be of interest
There is nothing harder to find than a black cat in a dark room
Especially when there is no cat....

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:17 pm

I had to reflect on whether I'm anxious. I do get anxious at times, in reaction to some stressor at work, etc, but generally speaking I'm not anxious. I agree with DavidB, I used to have crippling generalized anxiety which at some points took over my life. I believe my anxiety went away over time....it wasn't a quick process by any means, because of the inward inquiry proposed by John Sherman. In the spirit of the other replies, I'll share the link: http://www.justonelook.org

After a lifetime of anxiety, it's quite startling to not be plagued with it anymore. The absence of it is not what I would have thought; I'm not necessarily happy or blissed out, rather it feels sort of plain and ordinary. Life still throws its best stuff at me, and I just respond by accepting, fighting, or fixing it as best I can. I also sense that there is an evolution of feeling and perception under way, while I'm not highly sensitive as DavidB mentions, I am moving in that direction bit by bit.

Anxiety and fear seem to leave behind a residue of habitual responses and patterns that gradually shift and regenerate into more healthy patterns after the anxiety leaves. Our inward and outward responses, emotional reactions, and thought patterns are formed in response to fear. I don't see us as becoming automatically 'enlightened' as many of us are led to believe or wish. I think this repatterning takes place over a period of years for most people.
Be present, be pleasant.

lmp

Post by lmp » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:51 pm

For me fear and anxiety certainly was, up until a couple of years ago, one of the main 'investigations' I was occupied by, sort of involuntarily this one. I remember a day when I let fear have it's way with me because I wanted to find out what would happen, basically if I would go mad or not, I was tired of resisting and fighting it. What happened, more or less, was that I found out that fear doesn't escalate but goes away if I leave it be, it's a rather quick feeling. The resistance to it is what gives it duration and makes it seem like it's on an unbearable level. At the moment if I get anxious or afraid I can be startled and feel unused to the feeling, like it comes almost stronger than before and the impulse to resist it comes too, but somehow I don't resist it anymore. There's no fear of fear so to speak. Fear can be a kind of torture can't it, so I'm not surprised it's one of the more difficult things not to get involved in and taken by.

Clouded

Post by Clouded » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:15 pm

I am the queen of anxiety.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak

NateDeezy

Post by NateDeezy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:38 pm

I guess what I more so meant wasn't that you no longer feel anxiety, but have you ever had it in a form that effected your life? Like was the anxiety that lead you to seek out spirituality/Eckhart Tolle/ etc..?

oak tree

Post by oak tree » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:40 pm

Yes I definitely felt a lot of anxiety / fear before starting my spiritual search and it was the main reason I was drawn to spiritual teachings in the first place.

Clouded

Post by Clouded » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:05 am

NateDeezy wrote:I guess what I more so meant wasn't that you no longer feel anxiety, but have you ever had it in a form that effected your life? Like was the anxiety that lead you to seek out spirituality/Eckhart Tolle/ etc..?
Well a few years ago, I was very "clouded" by obsessive negative thoughts and it affected everything from my relationships to my grades...and my will to live. I was also constantly comparing myself with others (and believed that I had less value) and was preoccupied with my fears for the future. When I had my nervous breakdowns (I had plenty at that time, it was very exhausting), I would scream that I want nothing else but a peace of mind and my parents to leave me alone (they were very demanding of me and when I didn't meet their expectations, they would verbally and physically abuse me.) It was a horrible period in my life, I have never been so unhappy, lonely and nervous.

The way I perceived reality definitely was the catalyst that led me to seek enlightenment; I was desperate to feel better and at the time, I believed that death was the only way out of my suffering (I had a failed suicide attempt.) One day, I was curious about whether or not my thoughts were real and I came across an Eckhart tolle video like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KNefVPDbsQ. Viewing Eckhart's videos was the most reassuring thing that I have experienced in a long time; no one has ever told me that my thoughts are what trouble me and not circumstances themselves, I never even questioned my thoughts, I always considered them as truth. Knowing that all I have to do to be peaceful is to be in the present moment makes me feel that I have the power to make everything in my life be okay.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak

NateDeezy

Post by NateDeezy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:50 am

One of the things that confuses me is the idea of purpose of life, like why are we here. If religion or what religion is pointing to, is true, then it seems those who seek it have a better chance of finding it. However, if our condition is physical, and it's somethign that has caused some chemical alteration in what a normal brain produces that kicks out more chemicals that create stress/fear, and it's what leads us to discovering religion/spirituality, how is that fair? Like if our condition manifested in another form within the body, like I mentioned above, like say there was something wrong with what causes insulin to be produced, those people might just have a condition they live with that doesn't really cause much psychological suffering, OR back in the day they might have died quickly and wouldn't have had a chance to find peace, OR if their condition made them tend towards sociopathy, then they wouldn't feel fear and wouldn't suffer much and so they would just be happy all their life living with pleasure, but never seek God/love/source/peace bc they wouldn't have suffered too much. I'm just confused. Like I try to figure out life but I feel like the more I do the more I get confused and the more I see life as pointless and we all pretty much just turn out to be pretty much the same person if we were born in any other person's shoes.

So does it make sense to try and make the world loving when there will always be sociopaths just naturally occurring? There is imperfection no matter what. Even if we were genetically modified and everyone were killed off except the naturally happiest of people, there'd eventually be people born with disease or abnormalities that would cause suffering. It seems that NO MATTER what, no matter how much we evolve, like what Eckhart talks about, that awakening is the evolution, that no matter what, there is going to be suffering bc we still suffer when we're hungry or thirsty, and there's always going to be physical pain if someone snaps their arm in half. So I JUST DON'T GET IT! Like what is the point in trying if nothing will ever be perfect? And no matter how great things get, eventually we're gonna get hit by an asteroid, it's a guarantee, and everything will end, and shit will just start back over and take however long to get back to life as it is with humans, and this world (Earth) will still be subject to the same shit, suffering/ whatever bc we still need to eat/ drink and there's physical pain. I just don't get the point of trying is what I'm getting at. Is it to lessen suffering? Is it to create love and somehow after this life that will be what matters somehow? I'm confused

DavidB

Post by DavidB » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:50 am

@NateDeezy,

I've asked all the same questions you have often enough. I know others that have as well and I'm pretty sure most of the people here have too. It's a bit of a conundrum.

For my self, knowing the truth of human existence, it became a simple choice between two things. Did I want to live this existence in Misery, or did I want to live it in Joy. I tried misery for a long while and didn't like it very much, so for me the best choice was joy.

Suffering is a state of mind. I certainly see all the terrible things in the world and from time to time I experience this for myself, like when I get sick or injured for example. However, I choose to see all of these things as opportunities to deepen my spiritual experience and to get to know myself and the universe better. This is a win win scenario, I cannot lose, I cannot fail.

To what end though? I really don't know, as I cannot possibly fathom the purpose or the reason for universal consciousness spiritual evolution. I only know that whatever it is, I am intimately a part of it.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

CaiHong

Post by CaiHong » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:49 am

Hi Nate,
Good question, one that I am asking myself a lot lately. I have less to be anxious about in my life but not having anything to be axious about has never stopped a good bout of anxiety happening in the past. I know that now I put space around my anxiety and accept it, for example during my move I had lost track of my sons passport and he needed it. I started to become anxious and was feeling put upon that he was causing the anxiety, he was not, I was. Just this realization, the anxiety dissipated and I eventually found the passport and all was sweet.

Whether or not I am in a less stressful environment or am learning to handle the stressors of life better or the third most important option that presence is coming into my life, I am really not sure.

CaiHong

NateDeezy

Post by NateDeezy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:56 am

The shit of it is that sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy. And is very scary bc I feel so hopeless that the only thing that seems to be in my inevitable future is suicide. That or I continually live a life where my entire existence is perpetual suffering and fear. And so it feels like either suicide or have the same outcome only i don't take my life and I die naturally however long from now but I simply spend all my time in a constant state of misery. So I guess that's what it comes down to. I've experienced bliss for a couple months actually and just no matter how much effort I put into it, constantly reading self help books, I can't get there. The shit of it is, my enlightened happened immediately, so I know I don't have to do anything to get to that state and so thinkingi have to our attempting to is only a barrier to achieving it, yet I get so frustrated since it never comes and all I have every day is shit

Enlightened2B

Post by Enlightened2B » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:00 am

NateDeezy wrote:One of the things that confuses me is the idea of purpose of life, like why are we here.
I can't recommend Robert Schwartz's work enough nor the study of NDE's for questions like this. I know this stuff about 'Soul planning' is often looked down upon on this forum, but I say fuck it. If you really want answers to these questions, they are available for all of us, depending on whether you are willing to embrace a larger perspective within your own awareness. It's up to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwn0CoA0aHU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxrSAnpoT6o

NateDeezy

Post by NateDeezy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:21 am

I seriously appreciate you taking the time to write that out. And I'll check those out but I've probably seen almost every NDE account on YouTube. The funny thing is, based on trying to disprove them as best I can in order to prove to myself that they're real, I can throw together an unanswerable argument for that there's a good possibility that there's something beyond this, but the problem is, and even though i know I'm being dumb and dramatic, I'm just tired of the constant ups and downs. It's too the point where I've touched what feels like the truth so many times without it ever sticking that even the highs are immediately accompanied with the thought that this is only a short moment and I'll be back to my reality of feeling constant anxiety and fear in just a short while.