Is everyone here anxious?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Enlightened2B

Re: Is everyone here anxious?

Post by Enlightened2B » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:35 am

I still have some anxiety too Nate at times. I haven't really read much of the rest of the thread, but from reading your post, it sounds like you are resisting your experience, in place of wanting something better. Do you have physical health issues by any chance? And I'm sorry if this was already touched upon. Just asking.

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:15 am

hmm, that's interesting, I had to think and look to see if there is still anxiety.

Yeah, I'm still anxious.

It comes up. Maybe the difference is that now I quickly recognize it.

It is perhaps 10% of what it used to be.

Recognition of it is a big leap. that's not easy, I think it's difficult for most people to even admit it. Looking at who you are does seem to diminish it. To eliminate it, I think takes continued looking.

DavidB

Post by DavidB » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:17 pm

The shit of it is that sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy. And is very scary bc I feel so hopeless that the only thing that seems to be in my inevitable future is suicide. That or I continually live a life where my entire existence is perpetual suffering and fear. And so it feels like either suicide or have the same outcome only i don't take my life and I die naturally however long from now but I simply spend all my time in a constant state of misery. So I guess that's what it comes down to. I've experienced bliss for a couple months actually and just no matter how much effort I put into it, constantly reading self help books, I can't get there. The shit of it is, my enlightened happened immediately, so I know I don't have to do anything to get to that state and so thinkingi have to our attempting to is only a barrier to achieving it, yet I get so frustrated since it never comes and all I have every day is shit
I was exactly the same Nate, believe me.

When I was in that misery and anxiety hell (about 15 yrs), I could not even imagine for an instant that I could be as peaceful and enjoy life as much as I do presently. I could not conceive of being free from that suffering.

If it's any comfort Nate, then please believe that you too can transform as I have, as I most certainly am nothing special or unique, I am just like you.

Remember too, that your potential for suffering is equally your potential for transformation. The deeper the suffering, the deeper the potential transformation. Good luck Nate.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:06 pm

Nate,

I had acute anxiety 8 years ago, which I unfortunately struggled with for several years.

Thankfully I'm recovered now!

When we get anxious,fearful or nervous about something our body releases adrenaline to deal with it quickly. The adrenaline acts to stimulate our body and neural functions. This is why our thought processes can become more active and sometimes more anxious, particular if we treat the adrenaline kick itself as sign of impeding "danger". If the sufferer does this a positive feedback loop will form, whereby there is sudden & overwhelming increase in anxiety symptoms.

For this reason I no longer treat the adrendaline kick as dangerous, but rather a sign that I'm excited about things. By re-interpretating the symptoms or cycle of the adrenaline kick in this way prevents the positive feedback loop forming. Allowing a negative feedback to form which reduces the adrendaline kick and brings your nervous system back to balance again.

It is a two pronged attack, you are not allowed to buy into the unpleasant sensations, feelings.... Or the negative worrisome & anxious thinking patterns.

Just let the anxious thoughts pop up without looking for resolutions for each of the fears. But make sure you expose yourself to the fear & allow the unpleasant sensations or feelings to just happen with the re-interpretation that the unpleasant sensations are a sign of excitement.

What happens is the anxious thoughts which were all hypothetical scenarios... & usually completely irrational... never eventuate. This reduces the fear response on the next exposure.

Manyana

Post by Manyana » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:44 pm

Hi Nate,

Yes I had anxiety.

Anxiety is caused by too many future based thoughts, so one way of lessening their grip is to go into the NOW for as little as a couple of seconds, as often as you can throughout the day.

If the fear is strong, it is good to just FEEL the fear in the body, to stay with it and feel wherever you are experiencing it in the body. This as Eckhart says helps to release the trapped energy, and transform it into presence.

This is a good clip of Eckhart talking about fear and anxiety:

"Awakening From Fearful Thought" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KhuAO4aeVg

NateDeezy

Post by NateDeezy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:35 am

Enlightened2B wrote:I still have some anxiety too Nate at times. I haven't really read much of the rest of the thread, but from reading your post, it sounds like you are resisting your experience, in place of wanting something better. Do you have physical health issues by any chance? And I'm sorry if this was already touched upon. Just asking.
Yes, I had a jaw abnormality that required surgery and I'm quite tall, much more so than anyone else in my family, which makes me believe I could have some type of brain tumor that causes this odd growth. Also, I have a messed up shoulder that prevents me from working out like I used to and I used to enjoy that a lot. I also can't really play sports much anymore bc of it, which is another thing I really enjoyed.

I also have a bit of sexual dysfunction where I am excited quickly and finish before I'd like, leading me to mostly avoid relationships or only be involved sexually when I'm drunk or use something to help me with the issue, which creates stress bc I am hiding something I'm ashamed of from the person, and relationships are supposed to be about being open. I'm even embarrassed to even bring it up here for fear that someone might identify me.

I also have a slow processing mind- I cannot read well. It's like my mind wanders from topic to topic so quickly that I can't concentrate and so I can't retain anything. Anyway, this makes conversations difficult bc my mind only races about how I can't think of anything to say- I can see my dad has the same issue, and he struggles to find words and piece logical sounding sentences in a conversational type flow. And even though I know I am the same way, it's just awkward conversation and it makes eye contact weird and whatnot. Even when I felt "awakened", I realized that my mind processed things slowly, and so my speech was a bit slower, it's just there wasn't any anxiety about it at that time.

The one thing that kills me is, I realize that caring what others think is my number one source of anxiety yet no matter how much I try I still get anxious around others... It's so frustrating to know the problem and feel like you have no power over fixing it..

That and I don't enjoy what I do but I don't really know what I want to do and anything that sounds interesting seems impossible bc I never feel like I'm capable enough bc, in reality, if I were an employer, I'd hire basically most people I come across in life over myself. They are just more capable people, I'm too slow and anxious and spacey. And so between all that in my life, I'd have to say things aren't too great...

Enlightened2B

Post by Enlightened2B » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:52 am

Hey Nate,
I also have a bit of sexual dysfunction where I am excited quickly and finish before I'd like, leading me to mostly avoid relationships or only be involved sexually when I'm drunk or use something to help me with the issue, which creates stress bc I am hiding something I'm ashamed of from the person, and relationships are supposed to be about being open. I'm even embarrassed to even bring it up here for fear that someone might identify me.
I think it's wonderful that you're able to talk about this and I give you a lot of credit for posting this here and there's only love here on this forum. You've taken one huge step towards becoming conscious. So, don't be embarrassed to post whatever you feel :)

I can tell you from my own experience, that I used to be ashamed of certain things about myself, including sexual stuff (performance anxiety, which I still have at times) in fear of how I would be perceived. However, acknowledging it and being open about it early on has really helped me an awful lot to embrace it. Avoiding relationships because of this, means you are assuming that no woman/man will accept your quirks and that's just an assumption on your own end. There are plenty of women/men who will lovingly accept and work with you, if you allow that love in your life, by being open with yourself and the other person about your own fears (different than projecting them on to someone else).
The one thing that kills me is, I realize that caring what others think is my number one source of anxiety yet no matter how much I try I still get anxious around others... It's so frustrating to know the problem and feel like you have no power over fixing it..
The part in bold is telling to me. Trying to not feel a certain way is a matter of resistance. Instead of embracing and loving that you DO feel that very way.

Nate, have you practiced meditation in the past? There's a good book that was recommended by Smiley Jen (poster on this board) called "The Reality Slap" by Russ Harris. It's a simple read and I think can provide you some good pointers. The basic premise is that a reality gap forms when we want things to be different than they already are. Therefore, we create a gap between 'what is' and how we think things 'should be'. I'm guilty of this too recently which is why I wanted to read the book.

It's a matter of perception and how you perceive this experience. You can choose to look at it as 'something that is wrong' in your life that you can't change OR, you can choose to perceive the perceived rough experiences that you've had and still do have, including the physical challenges as pertinent for your growth here in physicality, from a greater perspective. Life is experience and experience is all about perception of any and every experience. The subjective nature of how you perceive events will be the determining factor in your own experience.

NateDeezy

Post by NateDeezy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:07 am

Thank you very much for the post. I definitely appreciate it, it was helpful! I'm actually learning to open up a bit and it's crazy how it creates an inner freeing feeling. I'll look into that book as well. Thanks again!