Osho

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
kiki

Re: Osho

Post by kiki » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:23 pm

Even TM meditation where you're simply taught a chant can run you thousands of dollars, and that foundation claims it just wants to help people. Right.
That's one of my beefs with the TM organization. When I learned TM in 1973 it cost $35, which I felt was quite reasonable. Now, however, the whole organization is geared toward squeezing as much money out of people as possible with outrageous costs for each of their many programs. And they are always pushing some new program or "advanced technique" that will "speed up your evolution." It's a very slick marketing scheme in my opinion.

I have other issues with them as well that I've posted on the board. Use the forum search box in the upper right corner and type in "transcendental meditation" to find what I've posted about it. Here is one that gives more background information as well as instructions on how to do it: http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... ion#p87436
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

beginnersmind

Post by beginnersmind » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:37 pm

kiki wrote:
Even TM meditation where you're simply taught a chant can run you thousands of dollars, and that foundation claims it just wants to help people. Right.
That's one of my beefs with the TM organization. When I learned TM in 1973 it cost $35, which I felt was quite reasonable. Now, however, the whole organization is geared toward squeezing as much money out of people as possible with outrageous costs for each of their many programs. And they are always pushing some new program or "advanced technique" that will "speed up your evolution." It's a very slick marketing scheme in my opinion.

I have other issues with them as well that I've posted on the board. Use the forum search box in the upper right corner and type in "transcendental meditation" to find what I've posted about it. Here is one that gives more background information as well as instructions on how to do it: http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... ion#p87436

I do a meditation called NSR from an organization that has people who are former TM students. It is a more of a self learning way where you are given a mantra via MP3 to learn to repeat, along with a downloadable book on learning it. There is also a website in which you can ask questions about concerns or whatever to moderators and other people who have practiced this. If it doesn't seem to be working, you can then do what is called a meditation check in via Skype. I think all in all it was 40 bucks or something.

What you described about TM is pretty much exactly the same as the NSR meditation. Though with the NSR mediation, they got rid of all the religious speak and beliefs surrounding the meditation itself.

Funny enough, every once in a while the site will get a TM troll coming on the board pretending to have done NSR and then move on to TM touting how superior TM is and how it really is worth the thousands of dollars they spent to learn it. These trolls are usually found out because they go around making this blanket statement on various mediation sites in the attempt to lure people to learn TM and give links to TM to sign up for "lessons" and of course convenient payment plans via credit cards.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:57 pm

Interesting, beginnersmind. It strikes me, in this moment, that too much mediation takes us away from the moving meditation of life. Although meditation could be life as well, of course. Guess it's just where my head is right now. Short sessions of simple mindfullness meditation do it for me at this time. Paying loads of money to avoid the primary lessons of life seems counter intuitive. Again, just one guys perspective.
Be present, be pleasant.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:09 pm

Yeah well at level 90 of my meditation program it becomes impossible to avoid life lessons. At level 175 you become the one to assign lessons to the universe. Only $2 million one time non refundable fee.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

beginnersmind

Post by beginnersmind » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:14 am

Onceler wrote:Interesting, beginnersmind. It strikes me, in this moment, that too much mediation takes us away from the moving meditation of life. Although meditation could be life as well, of course. Guess it's just where my head is right now. Short sessions of simple mindfullness meditation do it for me at this time. Paying loads of money to avoid the primary lessons of life seems counter intuitive. Again, just one guys perspective.

I agree. I paid like 40 bucks for learning this meditation. Probably could have gotten for free had I checked Kiki's link (or knew about it then) as it is pretty much the same thing. But NSR is a nice meditation, you're not supposed to do for longer than 20 minutes a sitting

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:48 pm

I think I paid about 30$ for my Qi Gong DVD. Well worth it.

Randomguy, your program might just be worth the hefty price tag.
Be present, be pleasant.