Ignorance - What and Why?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
EnterZenFromThere

Ignorance - What and Why?

Post by EnterZenFromThere » Fri May 01, 2015 11:09 am

I've been pondering over many things recently. Something that comes up often is 'what is ignorance?' and 'why does ignorance exist?'.

Sometimes these questions seem pointless - the word itself has as many meanings as there are perspectives to provide it meaning - so why even consider these questions and compare your answers with the answers of others? Is there any value in doing that?

Sometimes these questions seem valuable - a way of redefining my perception and growing in my understanding of myself, others and reality. This oscillation between nothing and everything seem fundamental to a number of spiritual philosophies I have encountered in my brief period of self discovery.

So, with the potential for the question being meaningless and every individual having their own unique answer - I would like to ask you:

'What do you believe ignorance is?'

and

'Why do you belief ignorance exists?'

Webwanderer

Re: Ignorance - What and Why?

Post by Webwanderer » Fri May 01, 2015 5:03 pm

EnterZenFromThere wrote:'What do you believe ignorance is?'

and

'Why do you belief ignorance exists?'
Ignorance, to me, is a kind of mental blindness. Or it could be the darkness to where the light has not yet shined. Of course the human experience is designed that way. It is realm of unique discovery in which ignorance plays a vital role. The challenge is to recognize natural ignorance from imposed ignorance coming from entrainment and chosen bias.

Ignorance exists for the joy of renewal and discovery. There's nothing quite like a beautiful sunrise that brings color and definition to the world of form. The dawning light of realization and understanding is a joy far greater than a sunrise that ignorance makes uniquely possible.

WW

Enlightened2B

Post by Enlightened2B » Sat May 02, 2015 12:03 am

How I see it right now which likely will change at some point. I see it as limitations. Meaning, in the physical human experience, our direct contact with our higher self/selves (higher frequencies) is intentionally limited due to the denseness of the physical frequencies and intentionally so, for the greater gain of the physical experience. Therefore, all of us are ignorant at some point or another in our lives, of the greater reality that we ultimately are. So, as I see it, the only relative form of ignorance is that, which is merely yet unknown from our limited perspective.....aka...the darkness as WW indicates above. Once it becomes known/illuminated by our own limited perspective, it is no longer darkness from this limited perspective and is now known from this individual perspective as light, yet still might be ignorant from another individual perspective. Being itself....knowing itself experientially through infinite avenues of experience.

The other aspect of ignorance is knowing experientially versus conceptually of who you are. You might know conceptually who you are, but are ignorant to the actual experience of it. Such that, I know that the Moon exists, but Neil Armstrong has the direct experience of knowing that. And experience can come in many forms.

So, from the greater perspective of reality (less dense frequencies where we actually are), no one is truly wrong, for how could they be if some of them are merely operating within the limitations of the conditioned human perspective? We're all doing our best here. Therefore ignorance can only be a factor from a limited perspective which does not have the full picture available. And what that full picture is, I can only imagine. Yet, that applies to every single aspect of the physical level frequencies. Everything is alive. Yet, all of us are ignorant on some level therefore as we can only know one 'thing' at a time while experiencing in this human bodies. So, ignorance should not have the negative stigma that often comes along with the word, because ignorance is an intentional design of the physical frequencies as I see it. Or just my own dream concoction perhaps.

arel

Post by arel » Sat May 02, 2015 9:34 am

Ignorance ain't nothing but a thing. Idea you and I contemplate about. I also think about what I'm going to do tomorrow..
It is also described as narrow mindness, consciousness too focused to see a bigger picture. It's also an opportunity to see that any ignorance or bliss is made up of the same never changing "thing" that's ever present, now, and let's ignorance exist, caught up in itself, but also is an opportunity to snap out of it and see itself for what it is.
What I say is only my viewpoint.

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Sat May 02, 2015 3:44 pm

Anais Nin hit it I think:

"We don't see the world as it is, we see it as we are."

That's primal, first-order ignorance: To mistake conditioned reified-self-driven interpretation for "the real thing." From this primal misunderstanding, all manner of mischief can (and often does!) arise.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

EnterZenFromThere

Post by EnterZenFromThere » Sat May 02, 2015 5:01 pm

rachMiel wrote:Anais Nin hit it I think:

"We don't see the world as it is, we see it as we are."

That's primal, first-order ignorance: To mistake conditioned reified-self-driven interpretation for "the real thing." From this primal misunderstanding, all manner of mischief can (and often does!) arise.
And is there a motive underlying this ignorance? A reason for it's existence?

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Sat May 02, 2015 6:19 pm

Clearly there are reasons, i.e. causes for ignorance's existence, or it wouldn't exist. Things don't just manifest "on their own" free from all causality, right? (Unless yer tawkin' about The Big Guy.)

Knowing all of those causes, including the deepest of them, might very well be above our homo sapiens sapiens pay grade.

Otoh it's quite easy to see some of our motives for ignorance, to wit:

Self/ego wants to persist and to be in control of the organism. Which means that it has to convince the organism (i.e. itself) that its interpretation of stuff is not interpretation/story/belief, but truth. Self thrives in sureness, withers in unknowing.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

epiphany55

Post by epiphany55 » Mon May 11, 2015 9:07 pm

There is ignorance in terms of a lack of information or experience and there is "wilful" ignorance, where one appears to "look the other way" or put their fingers in their ears and go "lalalalala".

There is the ignorance of "I don't know" and the ignorance of "I don't want to know".

But there does seem to be a fine line between the two. One's ignorance could be caused by knowing there may be, or is, something under the rock, but choosing not to look, not giving new information the chance to show/prove itself.

My ignorance as a human being is both caused by a limitation of my perception due to the complexity and genetic structure of my brain and the life conditioning that serves to create a filter of experience. I humbly accept the former, I seek to challenge and break down the latter.

Another way to visualise it is a glass of water. The capacity of the glass is determined by my biology. However, there are degrees to which it can be filled with knowledge and experience. Even if the glass is filled to the brim, it is still limited by its overall capacity. The question is, how much of what we can understand and experience from that limited capacity is in line with the true nature of the universe, which is seemingly infinite?
Thought is the object, not the essence, of consciousness.

borowik

Post by borowik » Wed May 13, 2015 5:53 pm

interesting question. For me is part of human nature, if we don't ignore something, we couldn't be normal and happy persons

Baba Bozo

Post by Baba Bozo » Wed May 27, 2015 1:10 am

EnterZenFromThere wrote:What do you believe ignorance is?
Ignorance is a thing of great value for without it, life would be dull indeed. A little story....

Imagine you met a cute girl at the bus stop and she's invited you home for lunch. You enjoy a nice meal and great conversation, and a few hours later she's leading you by the hand in to her bedroom for the first time. What makes this a moment you will likely remember the rest of your life?

Ignorance.

Now imagine that you marry this girl, and 30 years later she is again leading you in to the bedroom. What makes this an experience you probably won't remember until next Tuesday.

Not enough ignorance.
EnterZenFromThere wrote:Why do you belief ignorance exists?
Ignorance is a gift to we humans from reality, which is after all overwhelmingly nothing from the subatomic to cosmic level. Ignorance is a little taste of that nothing, offered to help heal our overheated minds.