Mental illness

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Re: Mental illness

Postby dijmart » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:22 am

Think what you'd like ash, makes no difference to me. Until you have a medical degree in psychiatry I wouldn't entertain what you've said anyways, sorry.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby ashley72 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:14 pm

I'm not the only one that thinks several well known mental disorders are dubious at best.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/10359105/Dozens-of-mental-disorders-dont-exist.html

There is no quantitive measure or analysis (blood test, cat scan, MRi etc) for determining whether or not I'm suffering from Bi-polar disorder. Because Bi-polar is completely qualitative in its classification... they have devised a simply questionnaire to see whether or not someone is inflicted with the disorder. You can take the self-test if you like
http://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/public/bipolardisorder/self-test.cfm

So as long as you answer correctly to the prescribed qualitative approach you will be classified as bi-polar - even though no biological marker (quantitive data) has ever been discovered for the particular qualitative classification.
ashley72

Postby dijmart » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:28 pm

I don't care to get into a back and forth debate with you regarding bipolar. It would be a complete waste of my time and energy....plus, you don't know what you're talking about.
dijmart

Postby CaiHong » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:52 am

Dijmart

We live in a country where the health system is pretty awful and I have little faith in the doctors here. Yesterday as I was talking to my loved one I could hear the "brainstorms" beginning the grandiosity of ideas , I listen as politely as I can but need to remove myself as I get really angry, I do try to watch my reactions around him. I have been away for around 10 days visiting my dying sister and was not aware that he was off the medication until I returned, I think this may be a bad idea. He enjoys the mania, the high. He doesn't drink or take drugs and he agrees not to take coffee. You are the first person I have spoken to with bipolar that seems objective about their illness and this gives me encouragement that it can be managed. I am not sure if my next request is out of line but would you mind, perhaps by PM, telling me which medications work for you and the dosage and perhaps other things you do that help you. I know that online forums are not a good place to seek medical advice but I would like to compare the drugs that are being used in the US to here.

CaiHong
CaiHong

Postby dijmart » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:33 am

I will PM you, less distractions that way....
dijmart

Postby ashley72 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:28 pm

I know with myself that worrying/stress (anxiety) can drive one to traits that would be considered as maniac. Sometimes people's life situations can be stressful, due to no fault of their own, they can't really help being pushed to be a bit maniac episode to deal with the high intensity situation.

I also believe some professional careers lend themselves to crazy stress levels of high intensity followed by low periods. Take careers like policeman, soldiers, fireman, ER staff... all these kinds of jobs are high intensity & could be described as manic-depressive in nature.

Post-traumatic stress disorder - an anxiety spectrum disorders is routinely attributed to high intensity careers.

Where does bi-polar fit in to all this?
ashley72

Postby dijmart » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:22 pm

Ash, you've already stated you're a skeptic. Why concern yourself then? Why bother giving it another thought? There are numerous books at the library and info online from scholarly professionals. So why ask me? Do your homework like I had to, I'm not here to answer the types of questions you're asking. That's not why I posted. I even told my own family...look it up!!
dijmart

Postby ashley72 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:59 am

dijmart wrote:Ash, you've already stated you're a skeptic. Why concern yourself then? Why bother giving it another thought? There are numerous books at the library and info online from scholarly professionals. So why ask me? Do your homework like I had to, I'm not here to answer the types of questions you're asking. That's not why I posted. I even told my own family...look it up!!

This is a discussion forum right? I'm not asking you a direct question... my replies are open to all comers!

I'm actually interested in what other open minded folk might think. The problem with you Dijmart (closed minded), is you seem to hold the view that unless a person is a dedicated professional they couldn't possible have a meaningful contribution to a discussion on BP.

For those interested... here is another well written piece in 2013, that challenges the validity of disorders like BP.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/may/12/medicine-dsm5-row-does-mental-illness-exist

BTW, I've actually studied psychology at university... so what.... means nothing... unless you've got a genuine interest & aptitude for a given field.
ashley72

Postby ashley72 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:22 pm

This article I've hyper-linked below...gets to the core of what I'm trying to get across about the current problems with clinical diagnosis of mental disorders being too qualitative in approach... causing blurred boundaries between different types of phantom mental disorders.

There is now a rival approach to the DSM-5 (diagnostic manual for mental disorders) which examines more quantitatively the underlying genes & brain biology which might lead to certain mental disorders.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/research-priorities/rdoc/nimh-research-domain-criteria-rdoc.shtml
ashley72

Postby CaiHong » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:44 am

Thanks Ashley for the links, I got lost in the last one. Living close to someone with mental illness is very real. I am only going to speak about my own experience and I can see that medication is very necessary when people are going through phychotic episodes, to stabilize them so that they can see when their irrational thoughts have taken over and see for themselves to eventually manage their condition and too pre empt episodes.

Genetic disposition, undue stress? What triggers mental illness I have no idea.

Caihong
CaiHong

Postby ashley72 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:08 am

CaiHong wrote:Thanks Ashley for the links, I got lost in the last one. Living close to someone with mental illness is very real. I am only going to speak about my own experience and I can see that medication is very necessary when people are going through phychotic episodes, to stabilize them so that they can see when their irrational thoughts have taken over and see for themselves to eventually manage their condition and too pre empt episodes.

Genetic disposition, undue stress? What triggers mental illness I have no idea.

Caihong

Cognitive disorders exist... & medication is helpful & necessary in some cases.

The point I was making is about the classification system for mental disorders being based on qualitative analysis more than quantitative data. If someone is suffering from bipolar it's because they fit qualitative profile.
ashley72

Previous

Return to General Discussion