Campfire tales: What is the purpose of a human life?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Campfire tales: What is the purpose of a human life?

Postby rachMiel » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:07 pm

There's a bunch of us here who enjoy sharing stories of what makes things tick. So I thought it might be illuminating to sit around the virtual campfire and take turns spinning tales of the purpose (or lack of same) of a human life. :-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Re: Campfire tales: What is the purpose of a human life?

Postby rachMiel » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:13 pm

I don't know what the purpose of a human life is. Or, indeed, if it has a purpose. This gives me the advantage of being able to "try on" lots of different purposes to see how they feel, how long and clearly they resonate.

The first that occurs to me is that of humans as seeds scattered by life (biology, reproduction, DNA) to the four corners of the universe (just earth, for now) to find fertile soil, take root, and flower.

Why? What's the *purpose* of the flowering? To continue flowering, flowers beget seeds beget flowers beget seeds ...

So it's life for life's sake, like art for art's sake instead of art to fulfill some goal or purpose. I.e. there's no overarching plan or motive for the flowering, just the efflorescence itself.
rachMiel

Postby rachMiel » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:37 am

I'd love to hear what others think the purpose of a human being is. I'm sure there are some interesting and compelling takes out there. :-)
rachMiel

Postby Enlightened2B » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:49 am

rachMiel wrote:I'd love to hear what others think the purpose of a human being is. I'm sure there are some interesting and compelling takes out there. :-)

Definitely to make money and get ahead in life, by quality investing financially, keep track of the market daily, and having a cut throat approach at work, no matter how many people you have to trample over to get there. Every man for themselves. Oh and definitely having a highly attractive significant other, to go out in public with so it makes you look better. So, money, girlfriend and good job=success. I think that covers it.

Let me know if I missed anything.
Enlightened2B

Postby rachMiel » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:03 am

Why so cynical?

It's an essential question, isn't it? Is there something we're supposed to do, a purpose we're supposed to discover and fulfill?
Last edited by rachMiel on Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
rachMiel

Postby Onceler » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:05 am

The end of suffering. When joy and pain are the same.....both interesting and curious.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby rachMiel » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:25 am

So a bit like the Buddhst notion that every sentient being will eventually become enlightened ... our purpose is to awaken fully. Nice. :-)
rachMiel

Postby dijmart » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:26 am

Enlightened2B wrote:
rachMiel wrote:I'd love to hear what others think the purpose of a human being is. I'm sure there are some interesting and compelling takes out there. :-)

Definitely to make money and get ahead in life, by quality investing financially, keep track of the market daily, and having a cut throat approach at work, no matter how many people you have to trample over to get there. Every man for themselves. Oh and definitely having a highly attractive significant other, to go out in public with so it makes you look better. So, money, girlfriend and good job=success. I think that covers it.

Let me know if I missed anything.

:lol: ....I actually thought this was rather humorous on a Tolle forum...lol! :D

Hmm, purpose? Welp, ya got your we are just "spirits" evolving from one plane/dimension to another, to get to the final end point of the pearly gates of "heaven" or oneness. Therefore, it's all just for...um, what reason? Oh, to experience, for the sake of experiencing?...struggling to figure out what the heck we're doing here and where the heck we're going... and where the heck did my loved one go?
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby Enlightened2B » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:56 am

Rach, I was totally kidding. I'm so sorry for hijacking your thread with that. Just tried to throw a little humor in there. Should have realized humor is tough to translate over internet. Wasn't trying to be cynical at all.

Purpose is subjective I feel. Yet, the great purpose of this human experience (ego and all) is awakening. Is it not? The relief of suffering is when we recognize who we truly are as Being and stop resisting. It's the evolution of Being (Consciousness, Energy, etc).....evolution in the context of each perspective evolving to realize it's true nature through whatever experience it may have. Of course, on a grander scale, evolutionary purpose, is far beyond my own comprehension.

Human experience is merely one potential avenue of exploration. Human experience offers something that other physical experiences do not.....and that is.....ego. Ego, offers ourselves the opportunity to know ourselves as Pure Being by relating to something that appears to be 'not us'.

I'm not in the same camp as some other posters of late referencing the 'vibration less absolute'. I feel like is meant to be lived.....sex and all. On other hand, addictions are quite a different animal and sex like anything else can be addictive. Anything in physical or non physical experience can become a form of addiction, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be explored (barring it's not a hazard to your health).

While we are Being, and are here for healing and learning about ourselves in a deeper, more expansive way, we are also human for the time period of each lifetime. Peace is our nature and when we live life from an experience of joy or peace, by following our feelings, we can have the most desired experience.

Ultimately all avenues of experience are opportunities for Being to know itself intimately, whether it's a bacterium or a human. Human experience is merely a different avenue.

Of course, this is just my own opinion.
Enlightened2B

Postby DavidB » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:35 am

There is no purpose to human existence apart from being human.

The purpose of a tree is to be a tree. The purpose of a flower is to be a flower. Being what they are right now IS the total and complete fulfillment of their purpose.

It is a human need/desire for there to be more though, search for an ultimate meaning, a reason for living. We are already complete however, already the fulfillment we seek, already totally and completely human.

Being IS the purpose.

There does not need to be a reason why, an ultimate purpose, a universal project or agenda. Being is reason enough in itself, is in itself, all there is. This may be disappointing for the human mind, but the human mind is a product of material existence, and on that level, there is no satisfaction.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby smiileyjen101 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:17 pm

Being IS the purpose.

Being is a privilege, being human, with human privileges.
Whatever you choose to do with it, make of it, is the purpose.

To be human is to be fallible, flapable, flawed and fooled; to be breakable and vulnerable and lovable and deplorable - and what more could we want :wink:

When the pendulum stops swinging in reaction, we can still remember the ecstasy and agonies of the extremes of experience, while we sit more comfortably in the stillness of aware equilibrium. (and then we swing more knowingly, more capable, and more willingly and don't take the ecstasy & agonies so seriously.)
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby Baba Bozo » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:30 pm

It's simply impossible to describe the porpoise of life in mere words....

Baba Bozo

Postby rachMiel » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:26 pm

smiileyjen101 wrote:Being is a privilege, being human, with human privileges.

My spin's a tad different from yours. Sharing this forum with the likes of all of you is a privilege. Being human is more of an opportunity ... for the totality to experience itself as a particular, or something like that.
rachMiel

Postby rachMiel » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:09 pm

Enlightened2B wrote:Rach, I was totally kidding. I'm so sorry for hijacking your thread with that. Just tried to throw a little humor in there. Should have realized humor is tough to translate over internet. Wasn't trying to be cynical at all.

I thought that maybe you were funnin' the naivete of the OP question, which is pretty much THE cliche Big Question most people ask:

Why am I here?

But, cliche or not, it's a heckuva question. One's answer (or non-) can set the stage for their experience, yes?

I also thought that maybe you (and others) resented my framing the answers to the question of purpose as campfire tales, instead of as earnest Quests for Truth.

It is one of my big stories that everything everyone thinks/says is part of their big story.

My father used to say I had an "overactive imagination." ;-)
rachMiel

Postby Rob X » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:24 pm

I don't really have much to contribute here, Rach. I'm not sure that there is an over-arching purpose to human existence. We certainly seem to derive purpose and meaning from our many interactions and projects in the world. What seems likely to me is that the phenomenon of human existence as we know it, is the product or expression of a 'principle' which is ultimately beyond the cognitive grasp of the human condition.
Rob X

Next

Return to General Discussion