Campfire tales: What is the purpose of a human life?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Re: Campfire tales: What is the purpose of a human life?

Postby smiileyjen101 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:54 pm

I saw a little cartoon yesterday that sort of speaks to this topic.

It was a man standing at the pearly gates bemoaning that he hadn't had a full life yet - and the white winged one said, 'to the contrary, you had a great life... you just spent most of it looking down at your phone.'

bahahaha!!

We could do a whole stream of ...you just spent most of it....
- worrying about things that never happened
- judging things you knew nothing about
- worrying what others would think of you while they worried about what you were thinking about them
-
-

how much are you living it?
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby rachMiel » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:09 am

Enjoy life. Explore. Inquire. Live fully, with passion. Be kind. Love. These are all good reasons to get out of bed.

But ... wouldn't it be cool if we each had a Mission ... and the universe *cared* about whether we fulfilled our mission, how well we did ... whether we found the inner strength to fulfill our destiny? (Ta-da!)

Back when I was but a wee lad, up to around 30 or so, I believed I had such a mission. I believed that what I did MATTERED ... in some absolute-ish way ... not just for my "personal development." (Borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-ing!)

Nowadays I don't indulge in beliefs much (at least not consciously), don't buy into the story as anything much more than a compelling fiction with ME (whatever that is!) at the center. It's good to lose these illusions ... but it's also dis-illusioning. ;-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby DavidB » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:30 pm

Just don't become identified as the one that no longer indulges in belief, and if you do become identified, then that's ok too. :)
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby rachMiel » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:19 pm

DavidB wrote:Just don't become identified as the one that no longer indulges in belief, and if you do become identified, then that's ok too. :)

What if I:

Do not identify as the one who no longer indulges in belief.
Do not NOT identify as the one who no longer indulges in belief.
Do not (identify and NOT identify) as the one who no longer indulges in belief.
Do not NOT (identify and NOT identify) as the one who no longer indulges in belief.

Still okay?

rachMiel

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:42 pm

rachMiel wrote:Do not identify as the one who no longer indulges in belief.
Do not NOT (identify and NOT identify) as the one who no longer indulges in belief.

...I think I'm going to be sick...

:P
EnterZenFromThere

Postby dijmart » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:46 pm

EnterZenFromThere wrote:
rachMiel wrote:Do not identify as the one who no longer indulges in belief.

...I think I'm going to be sick...

:P

Me too! I was going to say, once the nausea left, I got a headache. :lol:
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby rachMiel » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:42 pm

'Tis the sickness that is the cure, me laddies and lasses. ;-)
rachMiel

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:46 pm

It is what it is....

Except when it aint.
EnterZenFromThere

Postby smiileyjen101 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:34 pm

Rachmiel said:
But ... wouldn't it be cool if we each had a Mission ... and the universe *cared* about whether we fulfilled our mission, how well we did ... whether we found the inner strength to fulfill our destiny? (Ta-da!)

etc

What if... not so much that the universe *cared*, but that the universe would *allow* (whatever) however we interpreted and directed that mission / experience of life to BE.

This much we can look inside or around us and see the evidence of in abundance. We interpret our experiences, we interpret our lives. We do so within the limitations of our awareness, capacity & willingness to accept that we are living, creative beings creating, and we are not the CEO of the universe.

Two :idea: arose with this notion Rach, first the lovely parable Little Soul and the Sun by Neale Donald Walsch.
Read that and you have to take a breath and a step back from reactive ego and just go - whether I 'believe' this or not, I have to admit I'm not really sure whether my experiences are contributing to the experiences of all, or not. But one thing is sure, I am not the CEO of the universe, and all may not be as I assume it / them to be. Leaving room for life to unfold while being aware of our own participation in it.
http://www.sapphyr.net/largegems/littlesoul-thesun.htm

The second :idea: arises from a pilot study thingy I participated in looking at why / how come nde graduates ( :wink: ) do *seem* to gain a positive sense of purpose / mission ... not so much in belief... although that's hard to explain outside of the experience... but in experience having viewed a wider (much wider) perspective of the interaction & connection of elements within the all.

The study by Carolyn Matthews MA, I originally thought was to help non-nde survivors see / know the same sense of purpose. It turns out it was more to assist nde survivors reintegrate into their lives with that *new* knowledge.

When you definitively *know* something, it's different to believing in something if that makes sense.
This program used different approaches to illuminate each one's sense of purpose and then look at the manifestations of that - cause > effect.

It was a fascinating course to participate in both on an individual level - personal reflection & insight, but simultaneously knowingly as part of a wider group, sharing some of the experiences that we thought were 'just me' and realising that there were now common differences that had changed us with that experience, and with Carolyn academically overseeing it, responding to and interacting with individuals & the group.

(That's weird - I just had the notion of the all wise, all guiding 'persona' and she would never have thought of herself as I've just thought of her - with further investigation of how she does view her part she uses the term mentor, but to me, a mentor is one who allows their hindsight to become another's foresight - so we probably peer mentored each other, so her role was still 'above' - creating the opportunities, facilitating and making room for the experiences - the universal role. more about the course here - http://www.ndemission.com/about-the-course.html)

In the end though, it doesn't matter if you believe, or even what you believe - it's what you know and then what you do with that that determines the experiences of your life.

Whether it ends with the last breath, or continues for eternity matters not.
Life is lived in the present moment, always.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
smiileyjen101

Postby smiileyjen101 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:12 am

PS - my final course submission does not overwhelm my life - it's the basis of awareness upon which my life is lived, it's awareness of and acceptance of my own and others' awareness, capacity & willingness. There is no pass or fail involved, there is no score kept, there is simply awareness of experience and the contributions elements and interpretations have made in and to that experience.

Simply stated at the beginning of the course and from the 'sense' left over from the nde, I had an awareness of being love and compassion - for me in the light seeing that always, choosing love and compassion, being love and compassion was/is who I really am - distorted by the limitations of physicality. (I've said that badly and I know it, sorry).

The tricky bit in reintegration was 'doing' 'being' this with this knowledge AND the limitations of physicality. And this is where the course was helpful. It helped to illuminate how particular areas of ability - talents I guess, and how particular areas of awareness, and how particular willingness was at times required in order to have the experiences that would contribute to growth, but even if you say no thanks, there is no score being kept, there is only the experience of - no choice is wrong, it just brings a different experience.

In the end I defined it thus -
Mission Statement: To be love and compassion in all things, and through being that with empathy and my communication talents help others to see that it takes nothing away from them to be so.

Now that I have (thank you Carolyn) clarified the parts of my mission above that of being an instrument of others’ learning I am even clearer about accepting synchronicities and opportunities put before me in every interaction.

I sent it to my daughter and said I’d found my mission and the ‘me’ of my life. She laughed when she read it and said, ‘Mum, that’s who you’ve always been!’

My daughter was right - even though I previously didn't know it. It IS who I have always (really) been, and what shines through when the cloaks of fear and ego are not masking it.

So the purpose of life - if you like, is to BE who you really ARE. and if that takes some stripping away of the false notions, so be it.
smiileyjen101

Postby rachMiel » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:15 am

Yes ... when I feel deeply and viscerally (not just intellectually) connected to something bigger than myself ... it hardly matters what: a person, group, course of study, world of music ... the question of purpose doesn't come up.

The question seems to arise and thrive in a sense of disconnection, isolation.

So I understand how a profound experience of connection (like an NDE) could dissolve the hunger to find something with more purpose than the current moment. For a while, at least. We're a hungry species, we are. :-)
rachMiel

Postby smiileyjen101 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:38 am

I really like that response in your awareness Rach.

The question seems to arise and thrive in a sense of disconnection, isolation.

That's true - that's when limitation and 'lack' is sensed. That's when it is felt as 'personal'. The other awareness that nde'rs come back with is that it is/isn't (really) personal, it's just experienced so by the cloaks of limitation.

---- But, (personally speaking) that's not to say that we (I) don't experience that disconnection too, I do - I just know that I've created that sense by my choices of response to what is.

When you are one with what is, there is no disconnection, there is no 'self'.
The personal-impersonal aspects were a part of the more tricky reintegration elements of having that leftover awareness & balancing self-other-all awareness in limitation.

My tagline below evolved from one that used to read - my rights end where another's begin - in some ways I felt, experienced the ---- you know the feeling you have when you see someone (even ourself) doing something that you know can only lead to suffering - I don't mean that in a judgemental way, but in a sort of impotent groan. An element of not being able to put an old head on young shoulders. Until one learns from their experience one could only take 'advice' on faith and that's believing, not knowing.

But stepping back (personal sense of self) and letting the experience unfold as it is merges us back into the 'all' again.

It's tricky, but it can also be fun if we don't take our 'self' and others' 'self' too seriously. These 'self' elements are the impermanent bits. The is always is.
smiileyjen101

Postby DavidB » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:51 am

rachMiel wrote:
DavidB wrote:Just don't become identified as the one that no longer indulges in belief, and if you do become identified, then that's ok too. :)

What if I:

Do not identify as the one who no longer indulges in belief.

Still okay?

Yes, that would be ok too. :D
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby rachMiel » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:00 pm

;-)
rachMiel

Previous

Return to General Discussion